In medicine, bad breath is called halitosis. It is considered normal from a physiological point of view, if manifested in the morning after waking up. Eliminated by brushing your teeth and rinsing the mouth. There are other known causes of the stench of the oral cavity:
- Food with a pungent smell.
- Poor oral hygiene.
- Dental diseases.
- Pathology of the gastrointestinal tract.
- Infection of the nasopharynx.
- Bad habits - smoking and drinking alcohol-containing products.
- Diseases of the thyroid gland.
In women during the period of menstruation, respiratory failure is often observed. This is due to hormonal changes.
Stale breath is triggered by bacteria that are present in the human oral cavity. When the number of bacteria exceeds the allowable values - the stench becomes unbearable. Some can cause a carrion odor, others - the heavy flavor of rotten meat.
Improper oral hygiene
Most often, bad odor occurs in people who improperly brush their teeth or insufficiently pay attention to oral hygiene. If a person forgets to brush his teeth or does not use dental floss after a meal, an unpleasant odor from the mouth will begin to pursue throughout the day.
It is important not only to clean the teeth from plaque, but also to carefully remove the plaque from the tongue, it is good to rinse your mouth after cleaning.
Plaque on the root of the tongue
Human language is an indicator of health. In humans, not affected by inflammation, infections, the tongue is pink in color, the papillae of the organ is not enlarged. A patina of yellow or white with an unpleasant stench indicates that bacteria live and actively reproduce.
The color of the tongue may change with the disease of internal organs, with the use of alcoholic beverages or smoking. Often, plaque is formed in people who are poorly caring for the oral cavity.
Dryness in the mouth
A common cause of halitosis is dryness in the mouth. Microbes and dead cells are not washed out by saliva. Cells begin to decompose, causing halitosis. Dry mouth is a frequent companion of people whose water-salt balance is disturbed. Occurs after the use of drugs or a large amount of alcohol.
With long-term use of a number of drugs, dryness in the cavity and a sharp unpleasant aroma occur.
If dryness becomes chronic, it is a disease called xerostomia.
How to get rid of bad breath?
There are several available ways to help you get rid of this problem permanently:
- Make an appointment with a dentist - This specialist should be first on the list if you have been suffering from halitosis for a long time. Dentists always supervise the problem of bad breath, both in research and in practice. The doctor objectively assesses the situation, identifies the causes of the disease and eliminates its sources, if they are associated with a disease of the teeth and gums. Dental treatment, cleaning of stones and plaque - the problem will be solved! Using dental floss to clean the space between the teeth and lotions will help in solving the problem. There are bacteria that accumulate in huge quantities on your teeth, causing ulceration, and only a professional doctor can clean them. From the ulcers, the teeth become fragile, crumbling, so cracks appear in the enamel - an unpleasant smell comes from the mouth. Caries, decayed teeth, gum disease - these phenomena can cause bad heart from the mouth.
- Visit an otolaryngologist - Chronic diseases of the nasopharynx can also cause an unpleasant odor due to foul-smelling nasal discharge. In the paranasal sinuses and in the nose accumulate bacteria that cause infections. Output: treat the disease and rinse the nose with saline. Do not self-medicate - only the ENT can reveal the true problem and prescribe the correct treatment that will bring results.
- Checking the tonsils - The tonsils are bulges of a spherical shape in the back of the throat, resembling prunes. Many bacteria accumulate on their surface, resulting in the formation of whitish-yellow corks, from which an unpleasant spirit emanates. The plugs are removed with a special device that, under pressure, injects water into the tonsils - its name is “Waterpik”. If congestion forms constantly, doctors recommend thinking about surgical removal.
- Checking the work of the gastrointestinal tract - Gastric problems often cause unpleasant smell from the mouth. Acid reflux occurs when gastric juice with food pieces goes up through the esophagus. This condition requires medical treatment with antacids.
- Proper nutrition - Some foods cause unpleasant odors, such as onions, garlic, or spicy foods — pieces of food accumulate in the mouth during meals. Many chemical products in combination with garlic are absorbed by blood cells and excreted through the lungs, so breathing becomes unpleasant, and not sore teeth.
Prevention of halitosis and methods of its elimination
- Doctors recommend brushing their teeth twice a day, at least 2-4 minutes in different directions, cleansing the chewing surface and massaging the gums. Also, do not forget to use a thread that cleans the space between the teeth, in which pieces of food get stuck. Even the best toothbrush can not penetrate into these hard to reach places. Change the brush every three months, or better often.
- Snacks between main meals should consist of yoghurt, kefir, fruit, vegetables, salads, and not chips and fast food. After a snack, rinse your mouth with a special lotion, and then use chewing gum for no more than three minutes. Choose high-quality alcohol-free toothpastes and lotions. Recommended products that contain Triclosan, baking soda and Chlorhexidine. Rinsing the mouth with warm water after each meal will rid the teeth of food debris.
- In addition to the teeth, it is necessary to clean the surface of the tongue, since the white coating on it contains bacteria, as well as food debris - in the complex they cause a bad amber from the mouth.
These important rules will help solve the problem and allow you to live a full life without the fears of the complexes!
Many people have the smell from the mouth after sleep in the morning. And this can be considered the norm. During a night's sleep in the oral cavity in humans, the amount of saliva decreases.
It is known that saliva has the property of killing harmful microorganisms that inhabit the oral cavity. Closer to the morning, harmful bacteria accumulate in large numbers in the area of the tongue, on the teeth and even on the cheeks.
At night, when we sleep, our body reduces the production of saliva and drying begins in the mouth. The same thing happens during a long conversation.
If dryness in the mouth is often, you can talk about the disease xerostomia.
Saliva plays the role of a natural cleaner. Thanks to it, when swallowing, it saves us from millions of bacteria, leaching the leftover food that these microorganisms feed on.
Unfortunately, the older a person becomes, the worse the salivary glands work. They stop working effectively as at a young age, so cleaning in the mouth does not go to that extent.
The human body has the ability to adapt. With regard to odors, he soon gets used to it and practically ceases to notice.
How is it possible to determine the smell of our breath? How to deal with it?
To determine the presence of stale breath at home, it is better to start at the end or middle of the day. Consider many toothpastes or chewing gums have a masking bad smell.
The test should be carried out after three or four hours and only after their application.
There are several ways to learn about your own smell from the mouth:
- Take a regular cotton pad and wipe it over your tongue, also grab the inside of your cheek. This is done easily, slightly pressing the disk. If you hear an unpleasant smell, you should consult a doctor about treatment.
- Place the dental floss between your teeth, and pull it not by sharp movements first forward and then back. Bring the thread to your nose, and if you hear an unpleasant smell from it, it means that you have problems of stale breath.
- It is easy to determine the smell from the mouth with a regular spoon. To do this, take it and, turning down, slide it along the surface of your tongue. Look at the spoon, it will remain, white bloom and saliva, if you smell them, you will hear the smell of your breath.
- Turn your palm to yourself and lick the wrist area, wait for a while to let the saliva dry, the smell you hear will make it clear how pleasant or unpleasant it is.
- You can identify the stench with a bent palm. To do this, just breathe into it and bring it to the nose.
If after taking a meal or after teeth have been brushed, an unpleasant smell is heard, think about visiting a dentist. Perhaps this is a signal of periodontal disease, caries or stomatitis.
Sometimes the smell may indicate:
- about kidney disease,
- about liver disease,
- diabetes mellitus
- tumors in the digestive tract.
The smell of rotten eggs or rotten meat in the stomach smells of almost every person. The stomach is separated from the esophagus by the sphincter.
And if the work of the sphincter is broken, or it is loosely adjoined, then the feeling of heartburn is experienced.
Before you struggle with the smell, try to find out the cause of bad breath. For this you need to contact a competent dentist.
Thanks to modern equipment, you can easily find out the cause of the smell and diagnose halitosis. You can try to find out about the signs of halitosis yourself.
What could be the reasons contributing to the appearance of stale breath
- If the teeth are brushed irregularly, this can contribute to the appearance of an unpleasant odor. Bacterial species produce a constant odor of hydrogen sulfide. As you know, this smell is not the most pleasant. To fight this ailment, you need to care for your mouth about two times a day.
- It is necessary to choose a high-quality brush, it should have maximum maneuverability, its rigidity should be medium. It must have a movable head to penetrate difficult places in the oral cavity.
- Causes of smell can be a violation of the diet. The use of carbonated drinks, junk food, fast food, other products rich in simple carbohydrates are most often the causes of unpleasant odors.
- When caries is a disease, there is a smell from stuck and rotting food fragments.
- Unpleasant smell in the mouth contributes to the fascination with smoking.
- The stench can cause gastritis or other diseases of the digestive system.
- If the surface of the prosthesis is poorly cared for, then bacteria multiply on it, which affect the freshness of breath from the mouth.
Causes of unpleasant odor, the development of halitosis can be the following diseases:
- Diseases associated with hormonal disorders.
- Problems with flatulence.
- When violations of microflora in the intestine.
- Possible endocrine disorders.
- Inflammation or infection in the mouth.
In order to determine for what reason there was a smell from the mouth, be sure to go through a comprehensive examination. To do this, visit the dental office, gastroenterologist, take a urine and blood test.
After diagnosing the air exhaled from the mouth, the dentist will be able to determine the development of the degree of halitosis.
In the exhaled air from the nose there is a smell that is on the palatine tonsils or nasal cavity. It does not have smells emanating from the mouth.
Nasal breathing may have an unpleasant odor. This phenomenon occurs due to the presence of adenoids, polyps and sinusitis.
A healthy state in the oral cavity depends on the activity of bacteria. Like all living organisms, they consume food and after that they release waste products.
Bacteria waste is a volatile sulfur compound, which is an unpleasant formation. These bacteria exist in an oxygen-free environment, they appear on the tooth surface, the tongue under the layer of plaque.
Most of the bacteria are grouped on the tongue surface, in the periodontal region, along the length of the gum line, in the periodontium region.
Beneficial place of formation of these microorganisms are cavities located between the teeth and gums. These are the so-called periodontal pockets. It is possible to clear pockets only with the help of a specialist.
The cause of bad breath is hidden in the holes of the teeth, in the pulpitis or periodontitis.
In the manifestation of stomatitis, the presence of tartar, cyst of teeth, periodontitis, gingivitis and other dental diseases.
The source of a specific odor can be a disease in the mucous membrane of the nasopharynx and various diseases associated with otolaryngology (ENT).
In cases where there are sources of infections of the inflammatory process, purulent discharge:
- for sore throat, sore throat, tonsillitis,
- with sinus,
- diseases associated with the lungs and trachea,
- with nasal congestion,
If, when visiting the dentist, the reasons for the unpleasant odor associated with the above diseases were not identified, then it is necessary to seek help from a therapist.
How to deal with the number of bacteria that emit unpleasant odors
Favorite foods for bacteria that contribute to the formation of an unpleasant odor are protein products.
People sticking to vegetarianism have fewer problems with bad breath, unlike meat eaters.
Try to reduce the amount of protein and eat more vegetables and fruits. Thanks to this you reduce the number of bacteria and reduce the smell.
It is important to properly learn how to brush your teeth, gums. Be sure to use dental floss, pick up a convenient brush, mouth rinses, irrigators.
To reduce plaque and prevent its accumulation, do a professional tooth brushing. This procedure must be done once every six months. This will help in the fight against unpleasant formation from the mouth.
Due to this, the anaerobic environment is weakened, which is a fertile place for the reproduction of microorganisms.
A prerequisite in order not to have an unpleasant smell should be a visit to the dentist once every six months. This will help identify dental diseases in time.
For example, periodontitis, the onset of the disease begins with the innocuous bleeding gums that appear during tooth brushing.
With this disease, there is an unpleasant odor from the mouth and over time, if you do not take any measures, you can lose your teeth.
An experienced dentist will certainly hold a lecture in which he will tell you how to learn how to properly brush your teeth and care for your gums. It will help you find the right care products for your oral cavity.
Unfortunately, many patients in the area of the teeth appears tartar. It can not be removed at home. To remove it, you should seek help from the dentist once every six months.
If you have dentures, you need to ask your doctor how to properly care for them. After all, all kinds of microorganisms that contribute to the formation of odor are very popular on dentures.
Dentures, like teeth, must be cleaned with a special brush and placed in a special container with antiseptic liquid.
As you can see, the main means of oral hygiene in the fight against bad breath can be completely without a large expenditure of funds.
The main thing is not to forget about cleaning and rinsing the mouth. Be sure to take in a good habit of drinking water at least one and a half or two liters per day.
Halitosis can be a permanent occurrence or sometimes disturbed by its appearance. There is no such person who would not experience this state during his life.
Adhere to the recommendations listed in this article is easy. As you can see, the causes of unpleasant breathing are different. And each case is individual.
This article is informative. A visit to the dentist or therapist will not replace professional advice and treatment.
What causes bad breath?
The most common cause is dryness in the mouth. Due to the insufficient amount of incoming water, the body reduces the production of saliva. The cells of the tongue begin to die off, the bacteria activate their activity, and these processes cause a bad smell.
Also, stale breath can cause leftover food stuck in the mouth. If you brush your teeth insufficiently carefully, the same bacteria gather in the mouth and cause odor.
Another reason for stale breath is the food we eat. We know about garlic, onions and cigarettes that cause an unpleasant smell, but this is only half the problem. Starvation and strict diets can also cause bad breath. The body begins to destroy fat reserves, highlighting the ketones, which give such an effect.
Do not forget about the causes of a medical nature. Kidney, liver, diabetes and pulmonary infections can also cause bad breath. If you have symptoms of one of these diseases, it is best to consult a doctor. However, the most common causes of stale breath can be overcome by yourself.
How to understand if it smells from the mouth
The most embarrassing way is to hear about it from your interlocutor. But this is a critical situation and we are trying in every way to avoid it.
Here are some less radical ways.
• Pink clean tongue indicates a normal smell, white scurf suggests otherwise.
• If you have a spoon at hand, you can hold it over the tongue several times, let it dry, and then sniff it.
• Lick your wrist, wait a couple of seconds, and smell it.
Does not work: Substitute the palm of your hand with a boat and exhale in them. In most cases you will not feel an unpleasant smell.
What to use instead of chewing gum
Most experts agree that chewing gum is the most useless way of dealing with an unpleasant smell. Here's what you can chew as an alternative:
• cinnamon sticks (break off a small piece),
• carnation (not more than one bud),
These tips will help get rid of the unpleasant smell, if you follow them regularly.
Pathological processes occurring in the oral cavity, always accompanied by an unpleasant odor. Among the common diseases are:
- Periodontitis is an inflammatory disease in which the integrity of the bone ligaments holding the tooth is compromised. In the upper part of the root appears purulent focus.
- Pulpitis is an inflammatory process in the internal tissue of a tooth. The disease is accompanied by putrid stench.
- Gingivitis - inflammation of the gums. With severe gums bleed, a terrible smell comes from the mouth.
- Periodontitis is an inflammation of the tissues surrounding the tooth.
- Caries is a sluggish pathological process of destruction of tooth hard tissues.
In such processes, microbes and bacteria multiply perfectly in a favorable environment for them. To eliminate the strange smell, you need to visit the dental office and undergo treatment. You may need to remove diseased teeth or roots. If the teeth are in order, the cause of halitosis in diseases of the internal organs.
Diseases of internal organs
A bad odor is present in healthy teeth - the cause of this phenomenon is a disease of the organs of the gastrointestinal tract. If the dentist has not identified problems with the gums, teeth, and there is an incomprehensible smell, you need to contact a gastroenterologist.
With the smell of feces, the patient is often diagnosed dysbacteriosis. A similar symptom is present with intestinal obstruction.
To indicate poisoning symptoms: the smell of a swollen egg, fever, weakness, nausea.
When a stomach ulcer appears bitter or sour taste and stench. When gastritis is bloating, nausea and vomiting, the smell of hydrogen sulfide or rotten eggs.
Ammoniac aroma means that the patient has kidney disease.
If the patient has a problem with the thyroid gland, the iodine odor appears due to the oversaturation of the body with the substance. The aroma of acetone is provoked by an infectious disease.
Nervous condition, stress, depression are often the causes of such troubles. When restoring emotional balance, the pathological process stops.
To prevent a symptom, you need to carefully monitor your health. Avoid stressful situations.
Nutrition and bad habits
Often the culprit unpleasant flavor becomes food. Individual products have a strong aroma by themselves, and when they are eaten, the aroma from the mouth arises naturally.
The specific smell comes from a smoking person. The reason is that the substances contained in a cigarette are deposited on the teeth, mucous membranes. Get rid of the amber forever possible. Need to quit a bad habit.
Causes of halitosis in a child
Signs of halitosis can be observed in children. A child without dental diseases breathes fresher. If an adult has noticed an unpleasant smell in a baby, but the rules of hygiene are observed, you must show the child to the pediatrician. Perhaps the smell came from a malfunction of the gastrointestinal tract. The doctor will prescribe a diagnosis and treatment. The violation will quickly go away.
In addition to dental and gastric pathologies, an unpleasant odor from the mouth of a baby is often caused by:
- Diseases of the nasopharynx, throat,
- Eating fatty foods
- Emotional overstrain and children's stress,
- Moisture deficiency.
It is not always possible to independently determine the freshness of your own breath. In a medical institution, the doctor carries out diagnostics with the help of a special device - a galimeter. If the device confirms the presence of deviations, laboratory examination of the plaque and oral cavity will be required. Diagnosis helps to find out why the stench appeared.
If the unpleasant aroma is associated with diseases of the digestive organs, diagnostic measures are appointed:
- Urine test
- Endoscopic examination
- Ultrasound diagnostics.
Some procedures cause discomfort to the patient, but thanks to the intervention it is possible to find out why the person is being pursued by the phenomenon.
To keep your breath fresh, you need to clean the mouth well of food debris, use a quality toothpaste and a suitable brush.
Toothpaste should be from a trusted manufacturer, it is good to eliminate plaque, freshen breath. The brush for cleaning the teeth is chosen medium hardness in adults and soft in children. You can buy an ultrasonic brush, equipped with a timer. Such devices are well cleaned remnants of food, and the timer indicates the recommended duration of the procedure.
To clean the teeth during the day, experts recommend using dental floss after each snack.
Brushing your teeth is recommended after every meal, but it is impossible to implement during the working day. Therefore, after eating out, it is necessary to use floss and mouthwash.
Mint chewing gum or mint sugar-free candy in the composition will help to kill the unpleasant scent.
Treatment for dental problems
Any diseases of the gums and teeth can be accompanied by an unpleasant odor. In this case, you will need a visit to the dentist. For prevention, a visit to the dentist is provided every six months. Getting rid of bad smell is easy. It is enough to cure an unhealthy tooth or to undergo regular cleaning of the restoration structures with a special device in the doctor’s office, and the smell will disappear.
Odor treatment for infections of the larynx and nasopharynx
Diseases of the nasopharynx, larynx are often accompanied by a fetid odor, which is impossible to get rid of, without eliminating the pathological process itself.
For treatment, you must often gargle with a solution of furatsilina or other disinfecting solutions. Tonsils need to be treated with streptocide. The tablets of the drug dissolve in water, then rinse the throat.
If a terrible smell is associated with sinusitis, it is necessary to use antibacterial agents, for example, Azithromycin. Drops with vasoconstrictor properties. It is important to wash the nasopharynx, clean it from accumulations of pus.
In men or women, bad mouth odor always causes a lot of difficulty in communication. Treatment activities should not be aimed only at getting rid of the symptom, the elimination of the cause is an important step on the road to recovery.
Treatment of folk remedies
In folk medicine, described many universal methods, resorting to which will be able to freshen breath at home, without medication. It is possible to use means at the halitosis caused by any pathologies or processes. The very reason for the stench of means cannot be removed forever, but the breath will be made fresh without risk to health.
Popular home remedy for unpleasant odors. Effectively, as peroxide has antibacterial properties. Well eliminates microorganisms. People who used the rinse solution noticed that the product whitens teeth well.
In its pure form, peroxide is contraindicated. Rinse the mouth cavity with a solution. Three teaspoons of peroxide dissolved in half a glass of warm water. Rinse at least three times a day.
If during the procedure there is a slight burning sensation and the formation of white foam is observed, it means that there are wounds in the mouth, which are decontaminated by rinsing.
Hydrogen peroxide cannot be swallowed. A solution of strong concentration can burn the mucous membrane of the mouth and esophagus. Purchased solution in a pharmacy.
Activated carbon is a known absorbent that absorbs toxic substances and removes them from the human body. The drug is safe, used in various diseases, including pathology, causing a strong fetid odor from the mouth. The drug helps to eliminate odor and improves the overall well-being of the person.
The drug is taken courses. On average, the course is one to two weeks.
Vegetable oil helps to fight the smell from the mouth. The product must be of high quality. To eliminate the repulsive aroma, you will need to rinse your mouth with oil for 3 minutes. Then spit out and rinse the cavity with boiled water. Carry out the procedure at least twice a day.
It is possible to add salt to the oil and rinse your mouth as well.
Traditional recipes for treating stench from the mouth include rinsing courses with herbal infusions and decoctions.
- The leaves of wormwood, chamomile and strawberries mixed in equal proportions and pour boiling water. Infuse herbs for at least half an hour and strain through a sieve.
- Mint tea is an excellent tool to help get rid of bad breath. Tea calms well, fights insomnia.
- Peppermint decoction can be used instead of mouthwash.
- Broth oak bark quickly eliminate the unpleasant aroma. A tablespoon of crushed bark pour a glass of boiling water and insist. Strain, cool and start rinsing.
- Air will help to overcome the specific aroma. The grass is poured with a glass of boiling water and infused for an hour. Then filtered. Rinse infusion need at least twice a day.
- The symptom can be removed with the help of an extract of sorrel leaves. Fresh leaves are poured with water, put on a preheated stove and boiled for a quarter of an hour. Broth insist and filter. Drink inside two sips before meals four times a day.
- Destroy the bacteria work, taking a decoction of Magnolia bark. The tool can kill 90% of pathogenic microflora. Pour a tablespoon of bark with 200 ml of boiling water and simmer for 20 minutes. Rinse your mouth three times a day.
Other folk ways
Eliminate the unpleasant smell of folk remedies after eating, if there is a meeting or negotiations ahead. Recipes:
- Ginger root crush into powder. After eating half a teaspoon of powder to take inside.
- Helps odor from aniseed seed. Chew the seeds before breakfast.
- It is useful to eat a couple of apples before eating in the morning. Fruit saves from unpleasant smell and normalizes the work of the stomach.
- Against the smell of onions and garlic will help parsley. Chew a sprig of grass and the smell will disappear.
- Productively masked the smell of fried sunflower seeds.
- The best cure for bad smell is apple cider vinegar. Dissolve a teaspoon of natural remedy in a glass of water and rinse your mouth for several minutes.
- You can get rid of the unpleasant smell by chewing the fruits of the juniper tree.
- With periodontitis, propolis will help with halitosis. Tincture of propolis well relieves bad odor.
- To eliminate a symptom, try making a remedy of chamomile and honey. You need to finely pound the flowers and mix a teaspoon of herbs with two spoons of honey. Take a teaspoon before meals.
- Getting rid of strong onion flavor is possible by chewing on coffee beans or pine needles.
- Remove the fume is possible with Corvalol. The variant is doubtful, but alcohol will mask.
- Fresh pleasant aroma to breath will be given by a nutmeg.
Effective home remedies will help in the fight against halitosis, able to clean the mouth, remove bacteria, reduce or eliminate the unpleasant odor. But not able to save a person from the cause of the symptom. If the smell pursues constantly, the struggle brings temporary freshness, you need to consult a doctor.