When abdominal pains appear, we can ignore them, blaming them on the fact that “they have not eaten something”.
At best, take something anesthetic or activated carbon. And we do not even guess that this spleen hurts, because the symptoms are very common. After reading this article, you will learn what causes pain in the abdominal cavity and what to do if pain appears more often.
What functions does the spleen
Many people, having heard the question “Where is the spleen?” Will think for a while, and then they will point to the left, then to the right side. The spleen is such an organ that bothers us much less often than all other organs, which is why it is so difficult to immediately determine its location. But, nevertheless, its functions are no less significant. It is a filter of the circulatory system, purifies the blood of all kinds of viruses, bacteria. The spleen maintains the composition of the blood at the required level, due to its ability to eliminate unsuitable red blood cells and white blood cells, it produces antibodies.
It is located on the left side behind the ribs, directly from the stomach, pancreas and kidney. Because of this, people often confuse pain arising in the spleen with pain in the stomach, pancreas, and intestines.
Where is the spleen
According to medical statistics, people who have removed the spleen, often suffer from various infectious diseases. But, according to the doctors, this body is still little studied.
Pain in diseases of the spleen
The spleen has no receptors that cause pain, but due to the fact that it is located close to such organs as the stomach, kidney, pancreas, the inflammatory process in it causes its enlargement and, as a result, painful sensations in the body.
The nature and location of pain in diseases of the spleen is different and depends on the specific disease. Consider the main criteria by which you can recognize the first signs of the disease and describe where the spleen hurts.
- the pain is sharp, on the left, it gives in the back under the scapula - is the result of injury or damage to the organ. A person develops a cold sweat, the pressure decreases, vomiting, thirst,
- subcostal pain on the left side, which gives to the shoulder, is a consequence of an abscess. The patient has a high fever, chills appear,
- severe pain and an increase in size causes tuberculosis. A rare disease, preceded by pulmonary tuberculosis, may be a CBC,
- pain in the lower back, which increases with breathing - caused by a heart attack,
- the pain is insignificant, but constant, the back can hurt - it can be inflammation of the spleen or the presence of a cyst. The general condition of the patient is characterized by lethargy, lack of appetite, nausea. If, together with these symptoms, the temperature rises slightly, it can be assumed that the tumor is both benign and malignant.
Pain in diseases of the spleen
Pain in the spleen can occur during various viral infections. It has nothing to do with the problems of the organ itself, and passes when the treatment of the underlying disease begins.
In the case of pain, described above, you must contact the hospital. Prompt medical care helps eliminate spleen inflammation, symptoms of the disease.
Causes of pain
The spleen most often hurts due to a fall injury. Even if there was a slight injury to the spleen, it is necessary to undergo an examination. As a result of the impact, the artery of the organ itself may be damaged and bleeding will begin first in the organ itself, and then the blood will flow into the abdominal cavity. Damaged, due to injury, the spleen is removed. After removal, people lead a normal, full life and changes in body functions does not occur.
The main causes of pain are:
- Infectious diseases: hepatitis, tuberculosis, which lead to the appearance of cysts.
- Infarction of the spleen may occur due to arterial thrombosis.
- An abscess appears after bacterial infections.
- Neoplasms in the organ.
Causes of pain
Let us consider in more detail the above diseases, as well as the causes of them. According to medical statistics, women develop a cyst more often than men. They appear after minor injuries suffered infectious diseases. The process of formation of a cyst can occur over several years without showing itself. The manifestation of a cyst is accompanied by pain in the stomach or intestines, in the hypochondrium. A cyst may contain pus, which is very dangerous, since when it ruptures, it enters the abdominal cavity, causing very serious complications. If the cyst is not large, then the patient is observed several times a year, doing an ultrasound. When enlarged, it will be removed. The operation to remove the cyst is complex and is performed in specialized hospitals.
In the second place, in terms of the incidence of the disease, is spleen infarction. It is caused by the formation of blood clots in the arteries of the organ. Heart attack is the result of infectious diseases. The primary signs of a heart attack may vary significantly from person to person. In some people, a heart attack may be accompanied by sharp pains, and in some without special manifestations.
An abscess can cause a bacterial infection, with acute pain in the abdomen, as with abscess in the spleen cavity pus accumulates. Sometimes this pain is pulsating. Also, the cause of an abscess may be a minor injury that was not diagnosed in time.
Spleen tuberculosis is diagnosed extremely rarely today, it is difficult to recognize it, because at early stages of development this disease does not manifest itself.
The appearance of various spleen tumors is also not often manifested, but still occurs. Therefore, at the first signs of vomiting, discomfort after eating, you should immediately consult a doctor.
It should be noted that no matter what kind of pain annoys you, only a doctor can make a final diagnosis and prescribe a qualified treatment.
Diagnosis of Diseases
A significant proportion of all disorders and diseases of the spleen can be diagnosed by ultrasound. In the normal state, the spleen is located behind the ribs, but during inflammation its size increases so much that when probing with the hands this is easily determined. Ultrasound of the spleen should be performed even if the patient has cirrhosis, because gradually this disease affects her. If there is a cyst in the organ, it is also necessary to constantly conduct an ultrasound.
In addition to an ultrasound examination, to establish a diagnosis, you can undergo a tomographic study that diagnoses the disease with almost 100% probability.
If a stomach injury is received, an ultrasound scan is necessary. Trauma to the spleen, even a minor one, can lead to internal bleeding. In this case, the operation is performed in order to remove the damaged organ. This operation is quite complicated and a positive outcome depends on how quickly the patient got to the medical facility after injury.
Diagnosis of Diseases
People who are scheduled to undergo ultrasound of the spleen need to prepare in advance. For this, a couple of days before the procedure, it is necessary to exclude from the diet all foods that cause bloating (fresh cabbage, bread from wheat flour, beans). We must take drugs that relieve gas formation.
The procedure itself is carried out when the patient lies on the side with a hand under the head (this increases the distance between the ribs, which allows us to give a more accurate result).
When conducting ultrasound in the first place pay attention to the size (length, thickness and width). In addition to size, the shape is determined, which can indicate the presence of spleen symptoms of diseases of various origins. The structure of the spleen is also very revealing. Another important indicator is the vessels of the arteries and veins.
Norm spleen on ultrasound in an adult:
- width 7 - 8 cm.
- thickness 4 - 5 cm.
- length 11 to 12 cm.
- artery diameter 1-2 mm.
- vein diameter 5-8 mm.
These dimensions may vary slightly with different structure of the human body.
Diagnostics during an ultrasound helps to promptly and accurately determine a particular abnormality or disease of the spleen. Although compared with other internal organs, diseases of the spleen are much less common, yet you should not neglect the precautions and conduct an examination, both independently and by doctor's prescription, especially for women over the age of 35.
Spleen disease prevention
Since the spleen is an organ that is directly involved in the exchanged processes of the body, the main prevention of diseases of the spleen, of symptoms, is to clear the circulatory system. Now there are many medications that perform this function, but it should be remembered that all of the drugs, without exception, perform both a positive effect on the body and a negative one, due to the content of various chemical substances and compounds.
Of course, if the disease has already arisen, the question is very serious. It is necessary to follow all the recommendations given by the doctor and take prescribed medications.
Traditional recipes for cleaning the circulatory system, used only for prophylactic purposes and they can not be therapeutic agents.
- Chop one glass of hop cones, put them in a glass dish and pour 0.5 liters of vodka. Let it stand for 10 days in a dark place. After that, you can take 25 grams three times a day.
2. The composition of medicinal herbs: yarrow, calendula, wormwood is brewed in one liter of boiling water in a water bath for 15 minutes. Cool, strain, take 100 grams.
3. Excellent cleans the spleen juice of carrots and beets. It is necessary to mix equal parts of fresh juice, take half a cup three times a day.
Carrot and beet juice
3. Freshly squeezed pomegranate juice has a beneficial effect on the spleen, it should be taken half an hour before meals.
4. The use of black rowan berries, cranberries, and viburnum has a positive effect on the whole organism and the circulatory system in particular.
In conclusion, I would like to note that the spleen, along with the other organs of the human body, plays an important and not unimportant role. Everyone should remember that at the first, albeit minor symptoms should consult a doctor, if possible, to undergo a medical examination. Particular attention to the passage of annual surveys should be paid to women aged from 35 to 60 years.
Where is the spleen?
Spleen - unpaired, oval organ. Length - about 16 cm, width - up to 6 cm, thickness - 1.5 - 2 cm. A healthy body weighs 150 - 200 grams.
The spleen took place below the diaphragm, in the upper left abdomen, which is called the left hypochondrium. In front of her is the stomach, the spleen is in contact with the pancreas, kidney and large intestine.
The spleen is not a vital organ, but it is in the body superfluous. All organs, including the spleen, are entrusted with the performance of their functions.
A small oval organ is a warehouse for blood. It collects blood enriched with oxygen and nutrients until it is needed. Then begins its release into the general blood stream. For example, a person has an attack of pain while running, whining and calling in the left hypochondrium. It hurts when running, not only for those who have just started, but also for those who subjected themselves to physical exertion. This problem is not terrible, the release of blood when running is easy to prevent. Restoring impaired blood balance is the main function of an organ, but not the only one.
- Providing a protective function. Acting as a purifying filter, the spleen misses everything necessary for active life and blocks pathogens. No viruses or bacteria enter the blood. By removing an organ, a person’s immunity decreases many times, and before he reacts, hundreds of viruses and bacteria will enter the body.
- Control the activity of living cells. It is not able to recycle organ residues, therefore, detecting old red blood cells, removes them. Waste directs to the liver. The most amazing thing is that it is able to separate only part of the cell, separating the red body and iron.
- The performance of important immune processes in the body. The synthesis of immunoglobulin, without which immunity cannot be an active defender, is impossible without a spleen.
- During metabolic processes, the spleen is responsible for the production of iron.
- During pregnancy, the formation of leukocytes and red blood cells is the main function of the organ. After the baby is born, this responsibility is assumed by the bone marrow.
How hurts, nature, symptoms
The body is not endowed with pain receptors, but its proximity to the stomach, pancreas, kidney causes discomfort during the inflammatory process. This reaction is caused by an enlarged spleen. The strength of the pain depends on the disease. A description of the main symptoms will help distinguish the primary signs of the disease and determine why the spleen hurts:
Sharp, gratuitous pain in the left side - a signal from the spleen.
- Sudden pain in the left side, which can be released under the scapula is the result of damage to the organ, which could be caused by injury. In addition to the painful symptom, the patient's skin turns pale, cold sweats come out, the pressure goes down, nausea, vomiting and a constant feeling of thirst appear.
- Whines, pulls in the side and gives to the lumbar region. Unpleasant sensations may increase during inhalation. Painful signs indicate a heart attack, and the accompanying symptoms are no different from those that appear during injuries.
- Severe pain to the left under the ribs, smoothly passing into the chest, gives to the shoulder indicates the development of an abscess. The appearance of pustules is accompanied by the following symptoms: high body temperature, chills. The spleen is enlarged, which is easily detected on examination by a doctor.
- With a strong increase in the body, the pain becomes unbearable. Sometimes the increase reaches such a size that it is felt even in the right side of the abdominal cavity. Similar signs are characteristic for tuberculosis. In itself, the disease is rare, often triggered by pulmonary tuberculosis. No additional symptoms.
- Dull, incessant pain is characteristic of tumors inside the organ. Allergy - a parallel symptom, with such an unpleasant disease. In humans, the activity decreases, subfebrile temperature appears, appetite disappears.
- Pain in the spleen, combined with discomfort in the liver can be a sign of incipient cirrhosis.
It is easiest for the doctor to diagnose the cause of the developed pain after the impact, the fall. If there was even a minor injury, you need to be examined. Often under traumatic effects artery damage occurs. Bleeding inside the organ opens, but gradually, the blood enters the abdominal cavity.
Frequent workouts, heavy physical exertion are the causes of an enlarged spleen, as a result of the appearance of pain.
Primary lesion of the spleen is rare, much more often it is secondary. If the colitis in the side on the left and these feelings do not pass, they cause discomfort and are a companion to your life for a long time. Do not try to establish the diagnosis yourself, consult a doctor. He will consider what the reasons for this condition may be.
Rarely, but there is a complete absence of an organ from birth, and this deviation is not the only one, always accompanied by pathologies of other organs. To notice the flaw is not easy, you need an instrumental examination.
Much more often there are differences in the size of the body, then the shape, structure does not correspond to the norm. In the case of loosening of the ligaments, which act as a connector with the surrounding tissues, she begins to “wander” from side to side along the peritoneum. Such a deviation does not require treatment, but there may be a twisting of the base, which will cause acute pain and it will be necessary to perform a surgical operation.
Heart attack spleen
Heart attack is a dangerous complication. There are cases of sudden manifestations of the disease, but more often it is preceded by another disease that negatively affects the entire body. Heart attack does not always accompany the symptoms: pain, nausea, fever, muscle tension peritoneum. There is an asymptomatic course of the disease, which indicates a small lesion area. Surgical treatment in this case is not needed.
Abscesses, accumulation of pus in the digestive organs - severe and unpredictable diseases. An abscess of the spleen is accompanied by characteristic symptoms: impossible pain, nausea, dizziness, fever. A characteristic feature of purulent inflammation is acute pain. When it appears, it is necessary to urgently call an ambulance and be under the constant supervision of doctors.
Often, the spleen becomes infected with Koch sticks from neighboring organs. Back to table of contents
The complication does not apply to the primary. The patient has been infected for some time with Koch’s wand. It enters the spleen from either the lungs or the kidneys. It is difficult to diagnose such a pathology. This is due to the fact that no manifestations at an early stage are observed. You may notice a slight increase in temperature. With the active development of complications, a change in the size of the organ is diagnosed.
In women, this pathology appears much more often than in men. Like injuries, cysts are caused by injuries or infections. It may take more than one year to form a cyst. During this time, the patient may not even be aware of it. Pain on the left under the ribs, in the stomach, intestines - a characteristic manifestation of a cyst. Sometimes pus accumulates in the cyst, which leads to its rupture. Pus enters the abdominal cavity, which can cause dangerous complications.
Patients with a similar diagnosis should be under the constant supervision of a physician. There is no need to have surgery for a small cyst. The patient is checked several times a year with the help of instrumental examination.
The appearance of neoplasms of benign or malignant nature occurs infrequently. But in order to remove suspicion, at the first painful symptoms on the left side, vomiting, discomfort after eating, it is necessary to undergo examination by a specialist.
This pathology refers to parasitic cysts. Its formation is caused by the parasitic echinococcus worm. The danger is not adults, but larvae. Outwardly, they resemble a bubble shell, inside which there are also smaller bubbles, where the parasites are. Getting and strengthening in any organ, the larvae completely destroy it from the inside.
Identify the disease is extremely difficult. Pain, disturbing person, dull, not clearly expressed. In the left side there is a feeling of heaviness, sometimes nausea rolls, there is an upset of the chair, an allergy is manifested. On examination, changes in the organ are felt.
It is impossible to detect parasites in feces, it is possible to diagnose pathology only after conducting an instrumental study.
The pathologies of the circulatory system primarily affect the spleen. Significant changes bring the disease Verlgof, Gaucher, hypoplastic anemia, leukemia. Weakness, dizziness, bleeding mucous membranes accompany these diseases. Some often get sick women, others appear in early childhood, but each pathology adversely affects the state of the spleen and the functional processes in it.
Diseases of other organs
A feeling of discomfort in the spleen can be caused by inflammatory processes in other organs, which are gradually transferred to the entire body. Malaria, typhoid fever, syphilis, sepsis, colitis, mononucleosis, hepatitis, cirrhosis of the liver, kidney stones and many other diseases lead to its defeat. Hepatolienal syndrome occurs as the liver becomes ill in parallel. It hurts, it hurts from two sides, nauseous, sometimes the chair is broken, allergy manifests itself.
Often, the inflamed pancreas is shrouded in a group of characteristic features called squeezing syndrome. Sprained spleen is a characteristic feature of the syndrome. Chronic pancreatitis, anomalies of the pancreas, cancer can cause organ soreness.
A common complication of metabolism are gallstones. The characteristic difference of the disease of the gall - colic (liver and bile). The inflammatory process, with stones in the gall, captures the neighboring organs and concentrates in various areas of the body.
Sometimes the appearance of complications of the pelvic organs is the culprit of dull pain of the left hypochondrium. More often women are subject to deviations. The kidneys, bladder, ovaries are interconnected. The inflammatory process of one organ leads to disruption of the work of others. Dull pain is a characteristic feature of gynecological pathologies.
Disorders of the bowel (colitis) are accompanied by an unpleasant feeling of pain. They are easily confused with the soreness of the spleen, if you do not pay attention to a small difference - when the colitis often hurts at the bottom of the abdominal cavity.
It is important to understand the reason for the violation. The chances of recovery will increase and it is possible to prevent injury to neighboring organs, which are under pressure, in time.
What to do? First aid
The pain took by surprise. The first thing to do is to call an ambulance, and then proceed according to the scheme:
- lie down
- calm down and relax.
Do not drink painkillers, apply warm or cold. These actions will not only worsen the condition, but also violate the clinical picture.
Sore spleen - causes
Pain in the spleen can occur for the following main reasons:
1. Mechanical injury to the spleen. They can be both open and closed.
Open damage types can occur with severe stab, slash or bullet wounds. As for closed injuries, they usually occur as a result of a blunt blow to the left side of the abdominal cavity, a fall from a height or a strong squeezing of the abdomen.
With such dangerous injuries, the spleen can break or form cracks of different depths.
2. Pain in the spleen caused serious infectious diseases. Most often, the following diseases lead to this symptom:
• acute (chronic) hepatitis,
• acute infectious diseases of the respiratory system,
• infections of the blood system.
3. Heart attack spleen. It may develop due to such factors:
• blockage of the main artery (blood clot formation) in the spleen,
• atherosclerosis (can cause a heart attack if not treated),
• leukemia that caused vascular thrombosis,
• diffuse connective tissue diseases.
The course of a heart attack and its symptoms depend on the extent and overall damage to the organ.
Small heart attacks may not be felt at all for quite some time. Extensive heart attacks can cause inflammation, pain in the left rib region, which are aggravated by inspiration.
4. Spleen abscess. It can develop when:
• bacterial lesion of the spleen,
5. Parasitic lesions of the spleen echinococcus.
6. Spleen tuberculosis. It can develop with the defeat of Koch's wand, which penetrates the spleen from the lungs during late treatment of tuberculosis. In the early stages of the course of the disease, such tuberculosis does not show any particular symptoms, except for a slight increase in body temperature. Over time, it begins to provoke acute pain in this organ, as well as an increase in its size.
7. The development of cancer pathology. Primary spleen tumors can manifest themselves as fever, weakness, pain, and general exhaustion. Most often, doctors diagnose hemangioma, lympangioma, or fibroma.
8. Spleen cyst. It can be parasitic and non-parasitic.
Sore spleen - symptoms, diagnosis
The main sign of disruption of the spleen and the presence of the disease in it is its increase. This happens due to the peculiarities of the anatomical structure of this organ, which, when creating conditions, can significantly increase its volume.
Additional symptoms of spleen disease are:
1. Accumulation of blood in the spleen. To see it externally is impossible, only when carrying out diagnostic procedures.
2. Pain in this organ. The nature of such pain can be:
• giving to the back, scapula or collarbone.
3. Compaction of the spleen on palpation.
4. Lowering blood pressure.
6. Frequent nausea and urge to vomit.
7. Dry mouth.
8. The emergence of cold sweat.
9. Disruption of the heart and its rhythm (the occurrence of arrhythmias, tachycardias, angina).
10. Increased pulse.
11. Great thirst.
12. Feeling of discoloration in the left side.
14. The appearance of bruising or blue skin in the area of the spleen.
In addition, it is important to know that in case of injuries of the spleen (closed and open), a person may feel additional sensations:
If at least two of the above symptoms occur, it is recommended to consult a doctor.
After the initial examination, the doctor will prescribe such diagnostic methods:
1. Palpation. It is the main physical method for examining the state of the spleen. To palpate this organ is necessary after the patient is in a supine position and relaxes the abdominals.
On palpation, it is important to pay attention not only to the overall size of the spleen, but also to its volume, edge (smooth or sharp), compaction (soft, dense), surface (smooth, uneven) and sensitivity (painful or non-painful).
2. Radiography of the spleen. It will provide an opportunity to see the contours of this body.
3. Puncture of the spleen. It is carried out with its significant increase and suspicion of rupture, oncological pathology or heart attack. It is important to know that immediately before the spleen is punctured, the patient must take a deep breath and hold his breath, otherwise his spleen may shift during the peritoneal reflex, which will lead to rupture of the capsule and bleeding.
4. Complete blood count.
6. Subcutaneous injection of adrenaline. This diagnostic method will show the general condition of the spleen. Moreover, if the body is in a normal state, then it will decrease. If, on the contrary, the spleen is enlarged, then this is a sure sign of the presence of pathology.
Sore spleen - what to do, first aid
With a sudden pain in the spleen, you need to act according to this scheme:
1. Take a recumbent position.
2. Calm down (if not, then drink a light soothing drug).
3. Restore breathing.
It is important to know that in case of pain in this organ, a heating pad or ice should not be applied to it, as this can only worsen the condition. It is best to consult a doctor as soon as possible.
After detection of the disease, the treating doctor will select the appropriate treatment (based on the established diagnosis).
For spleen infarction or its injury, painkillers are prescribed to the patient. He is also recommended to follow a diet and bed rest.
When an abscess or detection of cancer pathology, the patient will need surgical intervention. The most effective operation is splenectomy. It is important to know that this method of treatment will be effective only in the early stages of the tumor. In a more neglected state, the patient will need to bring chemotherapy.
If the patient is in a particularly serious condition (after an abscess), drainage and percutaneous puncture will be applied to him.
Additional medications are prescribed to a person based on his indications and symptoms.
Sore spleen: folk remedies and methods
The most effective methods against pain in the spleen are such recipes:
1. Honey Ointment. For its preparation it is necessary:
• mix crushed ginger, honey and ghee in equal quantities,
• apply a thick layer of the mixture to the area of the spleen,
• leave for 1-2 hours
• save the product in a dark place.
2. Herbal infusion:
• A teaspoon of herbs of Hypericum and chamomile brew in 250 ml of hot water,
• insist for half an hour,
• then strain and pour into a glass jar,
• take 1 tbsp. l three times a day.
3. Hop cones help relieve inflammation and pain in the spleen. Prepare in this way:
• pour 100 g of hop cones with 200 ml of alcohol,
• insist for a week,
• take 30 drops daily until the remedy is over.
4. Tincture from the collection of medicinal herbs:
• take equal chamomile flowers, oak bark, string, dried nettle leaves and raspberries in equal amounts,
• wash and dry all herbs,
• grind them and pour 0.5 liters of boiling water,
• insist for an hour,
• Take 2 tablespoons three times a day.
5. Herbal recipe "folk". For its preparation should:
• take a tablespoon of chamomile flowers, celandine, St. John's wort, nettle and immortelle,
• mix all the ingredients and fill the collection with two glasses of boiling water,
• insist for three hours,
• Take daily a tablespoon before eating.
This tool will help relieve acute pain and inflammation in the spleen.
Before using traditional medicine recipes, it is recommended to consult a doctor.
Pain in the spleen: symptoms
The pain arising from injuries of the spleen is very sensitive. It can be localized strictly in the left hypochondrium region or spread to the side of the shoulder, forearm and left shoulder blade. The nature of the pain and associated symptoms are determined by the disease (or condition) that provoked their appearance.
Abscess of the spleen. Purulent inflammation of the spleen most often occurs after past infectious diseases (typhoid fever, mononucleosis, lymphocytosis, hepatitis, syphilis, etc.) that have not been completely treated, or the patient has violated the recommendations of the attending physician for medication and the necessary regimen.
An abscess is a serious pathology in which the following clinical picture is observed:
- the patient has a high fever and redness at the location of the spleen (under the left side),
- body temperature rises to 39-40 degrees,
- there is a sharp pain in the left hypochondrium,
- vomiting and nausea may be present.
Important! With abscess, the spleen greatly increases in size, which can lead to its rupture and breakthrough of purulent contents. Such a situation is fraught with the saddest consequences, among which is a lethal outcome (due to blood poisoning and acute intoxication).
Spleen tuberculosis. Occurs as a result of infection with Koch's wand. With this disease, the size of the affected organ exceeds the normal values by 1.5-2 times. On the left side you can see a characteristic protrusion - this is an enlarged spleen. Pains with tuberculosis infection have high intensity. In exceptional cases, the patient has to inject narcotic analgesic drugs intravenously to relieve pain.
Spleen thrombosis. This state is characterized by the formation of a bulge in the left side, which has a clear outline and dense structure. Pain in spleen sharp, stabbing. A distinctive feature of thrombosis is that the pain does not go away even when lying on the left side.
Pain in the left hypochondrium may be accompanied by other signs indicating injuries or injuries of a different nature. These include:
- trembling in limbs
- labored breathing,
- lower blood pressure
- feeling of squeezing under the sternum,
- pale skin
- pain in the navel,
- general weakness.
All of the above symptoms suggest that the body is impaired. In the absence of timely measures, an abscess or spleen rupture may occur, so you should not postpone the visit to the doctor.
Causes of pain in the spleen
Infectious diseases. Some infections may cause the spleen to grow significantly. This usually occurs simultaneously with an increase in the size of another filtering element of the human body - the liver. For example, in infectious mononucleosis, both organs are 1.5 times larger than normal, and dull pain of moderate intensity may occur. Sometimes pain is replaced by a feeling of strong pressure in the left side, which increases after eating or exercise.
Direct injuries and mechanical damage. The spleen can be injured by falling, bruising on a hard surface. Knife wounds are also accompanied by severe pain, which can be replaced by traumatic shock. Assistance to the victim should be provided immediately, otherwise there is a risk of death.
Important! Spleen bruises are not as harmless as it seems at first glance. Not always pain in the body appears immediately after injury. Even a slight pain in the left hypochondrium should be a reason for visiting the doctor, since there is a high probability of internal bleeding and rupture of the spleen.
Helminthic invasion. Parasites that live in the blood and intestines of humans, can also lead to pain of the spleen, which can not cope with the cleaning function due to the large number of toxic elements released into the blood by parasitic individuals.
Therapy in this case will be long, but not only the health of one of the most vulnerable organs depends on its success, but also the development of immunity.
Spleen cancer. Malignant lesions of the spleen are quite rare, but it is impossible to exclude the possibility of their appearance. The cunning of cancer is that it is very difficult to diagnose in the early stages. The pain in this disease is initially weak, but as the progression and metastasis develop, the person can no longer dispense with potent painkillers.
Pain in the spleen after eating
This symptom appears mainly in infectious diseases. Most often, pain in the spleen that occurs after eating, bothers patients with tuberculosis. The pain is aching with moderate or high intensity.
In some cases, pain after eating indicates the presence of a parasitic cyst. In addition to pain syndrome, a person with these pathologies has the following symptoms:
- severe dizziness
- spreading pain to the forearm,
- severe severity, which decreases slightly when changing position.
Pain during pregnancy
During pregnancy, pain in the spleen may occur for physiological reasons. The uterus grows with the baby and by the end of the second trimester reaches an impressive size, so it begins to put pressure on the abdominal organs. If there are no symptoms besides pain, there is most likely nothing to worry about.
Another reason why the spleen can hurt, is the excessive activity of the fetus. When the baby moves his leg or handle, he can touch the organs near the uterus. In some cases, this is accompanied by strong painful sensations. The future mom can only wait for a speedy birth and try to negotiate with the baby so that he behaves more calmly.
Important! If the pain in the spleen during pregnancy is very strong and causes discomfort to the woman, or there are other signs of organ pathologies, consult a doctor.
In any case, it is worth notifying the observing gynecologist to make sure that the pregnancy is proceeding normally and that the fetus is not in danger.
Pain in the spleen when walking or running
Pain in the spleen when walking fast or running is also a physiological phenomenon. The fact is that under increased load, there is a violation of blood circulation when its inflow significantly exceeds the outflow. Accumulating blood begins to put pressure on the organs of the abdominal cavity, in particular - the capsule, which is covered with a spleen. This capsule consists of many small receptors (nerve endings). It is their irritation that results in stabbing pain.
Important! If you are stabbed in the left side while running or walking, you should immediately stop the movement and take a break until your breathing returns and your pain subsides.
To which doctor to consult for pain in the spleen?
It is worth starting an examination with a visit to a district therapist. He will examine the diseased area, assess the size of the spleen (if this is possible by visual inspection) and give directions to an ultrasound scan and to ancillary rooms for consultation. Depending on the results of the ultrasound examination, the conclusion of the following specialists may be required:
Treatment of pain in the spleen is aimed at eliminating the cause that caused the appearance of unpleasant sensations. Only by eliminating the underlying disease, you can normalize the work of the body and get rid of the painful discomfort.
Dietary nutrition - a quick way to establish proper functioning. The main component of the diet are products enriched with iron, which are involved in the process of blood formation. Allowed to eat fatty fish, nuts, honey, pomegranate, cabbage, citrus, apples, avocado.
It is necessary to reduce the consumption of salt and butter, coffee, sour fruits and vegetables, smoked and salty dishes. Alcohol is strictly prohibited.
It is desirable to eat small meals, and the number of meals to be brought up to 5-6 times.
Drug therapy aims to restore functionality and eliminate the symptoms of complications. Selection of drugs requires an individual approach:
- with a heart attack enough painkillers, a quiet lifestyle,
- purulent processes are treated by dissection and drainage, puncture.
When medications do not help, the integrity of the surface is compromised, the question of surgery is raised among doctors. The following measures are taken:
- an abscess should be treated with a surgical intervention - splenectomy,
- the spleen is worried because of tumors, cysts, surgery will be performed.
In therapy, the main thing is not to ignore the problem and understand why the complication occurred. A quick reaction helps to avoid additional pathologies and removal of the organ.
Treat the spleen with folk remedies no worse than drugs. Common Recipes:
- Harvesting herbs: a string, violet flowers, nettle and strawberry leaves are taken in equal proportions and mixed. 2 tbsp. l collection pour 0.5 liters of boiling water, insist 1 hour. The resulting infusion to drink a glass in the morning, afternoon and evening.
- Shepherd's bag infusion is an effective remedy. 10 g of grass per cup With the disease of the spleen help herbal teas
boiling water, insist 20 minutes. Be sure to strain, cool and take throughout the day (5 receptions).
Can you live without a spleen?
The possibilities of reimbursement are very high. Therefore, it will work without a spleen, it is important to understand how to do it. After all, the absence of an element responsible for infectious protection is a great loss. The duties of the spleen, after its removal, are assigned to the liver and bone marrow. Blood purification function is impaired. Dead platelets are not excreted, but continue to be in the body, which can cause thrombosis. That is why patients undergoing surgery are prescribed special medicines. Such patients are required to be under the constant supervision of specialists.
The clinical picture will depend entirely on what exactly caused the pain in the left side. However, regardless of the underlying cause, the symptoms will include a characteristic feature - an increase in the organ and pain during palpation.
Pain in nature may be:
- blunt or sharp.
In pathological processes that directly affect the organ itself, the clinical picture may be characterized as follows:
- heart rhythm disorder, in most cases, increased,
- pain in the left side gives in the lumbar region and back,
- nausea, often with subsequent bouts of vomiting. It is noteworthy that vomiting often does not bring relief to the patient,
- intense thirst, which is still accompanied by dry mouth,
- weak physical fatigue
- feeling of heaviness and fullness in the left side,
- low blood pressure
- bruising may occur in the area of the organ.
Separately, we should highlight the clinical picture, which is present with a closed or open injury of the spleen:
- shortness of breath, shallow breathing,
- fainting, although fainting is not excluded,
- shivering through the body
- slow pulse
- shock condition.
Such a human condition can be extremely life-threatening, therefore, with the first signs noticed, an urgent need to seek medical help.
In the event that the sensation of discomfort and pain in the left side is due to a gastroenterological ailment, the symptom complex can be characterized as follows:
- pain in the abdomen, the intensity and localization of which will depend on the provoking factor itself,
- violation of the frequency of bowel movements, changes in the consistency of feces,
- nausea, which can be complemented by bouts of vomiting,
- change in taste preferences, loss of appetite,
- weight loss
- increased flatulence
- external taste in the mouth,
- weakness, irritability.
Regardless of what kind of clinical picture takes place, you should consult a doctor in a timely manner, since only a qualified medical specialist, after an examination and an accurate diagnosis, can tell what to do and how to treat the ailment. It is strongly not recommended to take any drugs without permission.
"Pain in the spleen" is observed in diseases:
Splenic rupture is a dangerous condition that requires immediate medical intervention. Due to certain reasons, there is a rupture of the organ capsule, which entails serious consequences. It is worth noting that this condition can occur not only because of a mechanical injury. There are no limitations regarding sex and age. Spleen rupture can occur in both children and adults (pathology in children is more severe).
With exercise and temperance, most people can do without medicine.
Definition of the disease
The spleen is an organ of the human body that is essential because it helps to normalize the metabolism of a person. It performs the hematopoietic function, forming lymphocytes and red blood cells, and is also a natural filter, as it perfectly cleanses the blood from harmful substances, viruses, various bacteria, and forms immunity.
I rarely recall the diseases of the spleen, until she herself reminds herself of the pain. Ailments in the area of this body suggest that normal work has been disrupted. Since the spleen does not have pain receptors, its pathology can be identified only with full examination by a specialist. Malfunctions of the spleen are always fraught with some loss of the ability of the human body to deal with numerous diseases.
Why does the spleen hurt?
There are a number of significant factors that are causes of pain in the spleen. Direct organ damage due to external and internal effects. These effects include a gunshot wound, shredded and stabbed wounds, internal severe injuries, as well as fracture of the ribs on the left side. The most dangerous injuries of the spleen are often accompanied by dangerous internal hemorrhages, with quite intense pain and possible traumatic shock.
Causes of pain in the spleen
The cause of pain in the spleen may be the presence of parasites. One of the most common is the single-chamber echinococcus. If treatment is not started on time, then dangerous splinters in the spleen are likely. To fix the presence of parasites is quite difficult, in view of this, modern methods of ultrasound and a tomograph are used.
The existence of benign or malignant tumors is quite possible. Unfortunately, it is rather difficult to find out at an early stage, therefore, in case of muffled pain in the left side region and severity, one should immediately go to the doctor.
Symptoms of pain in the spleen
Damage to the spleen is signaled by severe pain on the left side of the hypochondrium, and then the pain can capture the area from the shoulder to the scapula. Also, abnormal functioning is indicated by nausea and vomiting, shivering, pressure reduction, bloodlessness, and cramped breathing. If a person has the above symptoms, he will certainly need to lie on his back or recline on the left side.
Various infectious diseases of other organs are the result of damage to the spleen. These are serious consequences of typhoid fever, anthrax, sepsis, infectious lymphocytosis and mononucleosis, malaria, hepatitis, syphilis and other ailments. The existence of blood clots in the arteries can cause spleen infarction. Atherosclerosis, diffuse diseases, leukemia, lymphosarcoma, certain infectious diseases often cause the occurrence of a blood clot. As a rule, signs of spleen thrombosis are detected when it is inflamed.
Abscess of the spleen is activated with certain consequences of infectious diseases.Causes of abscess can be salmonellosis, post-infarction, post-traumatic infections. The first signal of an abscess spleen is fever. In addition, many patients complain of severe left-sided pain. With spleen tuberculosis, there is a strong increase in its volume, which is accompanied by incredibly severe pain.
When the spleen is enlarged, a tight protrusion appears in the left side, the skin turns pale, in particular the front of the head. Cough, any movement, even lying on the left side are accompanied by stabbing pain and considerable pressure. Observed fatigue, decreased immunity and pain in the umbilical region. The human lymphatic system, in this case, is always affected by poisons and toxins. Most likely they are the result of the work of pathogenic microbes that remained in our body due to undertreated infectious diseases.
You can fight these serious diseases with various methods, the main thing is to warm those places that are infected. You can use pepper patch or warm compresses.
What to do with pain in the spleen?
Initially, the disease of the spleen does not manifest itself pain, they often occur after its significant increase. Therefore, as soon as there is the slightest discomfort in this area, the above signs of the disease are visible, you should immediately turn to the therapist. After examining the patient, the doctor will be able to establish the state of the organ using standard palpation during the inspiratory period. The conclusion of the doctor must also be confirmed by the results of modern analyzes, the necessary studies of ultrasound and tomography.
It is worth treating the very cause of the disease in order to avoid repeated malfunction of the spleen. Having established a preliminary diagnosis, the therapist will refer to an appropriate professional: an infectious disease specialist, a hematologist, a trauma surgeon, a surgeon, or an oncologist. If the treatment does not give the expected results, then the issue is resolved through surgical intervention. Many doctors recommend eating and maintaining a healthy lifestyle in order to prevent such serious consequences.
To quickly normalize the lymph system, you need proper breathing. With a deep breath and exhalation, the muscles that are responsible for the movement of the lungs, stretch, put pressure on the lymphatic vessels of the intestine, thereby accelerating the movement of blood through the vessels. The work of the spleen will also improve, thanks to regular physical exertion, special exercises and walking. At the same time there is rapid and deeper breathing.
Expert Editor: Pavel Alexandrovich Mochalov | D.M.N. general practitioner
Education: Moscow Medical Institute. I. M. Sechenov, specialty - “Medicine” in 1991, in 1993 “Occupational diseases”, in 1996 “Therapy”.