Experts subdivide cholesterol into "good" and "bad." The first consists of high-density lipoprotein (HDL) and is responsible for the synthesis of vitamin D and a number of hormones, as well as for the maintenance of immunity in the human body. Bad cholesterol includes low-density lipids, known for their negative effects on blood vessels, it is their level that should be lowered.
Groups and classification of drugs that reduce cholesterol
Cholesterol is a protein substance produced by the liver or supplied to it with food. From there, it moves through the gallbladder and duodenum, participating in the digestive process. Having fulfilled their role, lipoproteins leave the body with processed products.
With impaired liver function or bile duct obstruction, cholesterol is retained in the body and settles on the walls of blood vessels, thereby provoking their obstruction and diseases such as ischemia, heart attacks and strokes. Corresponding to normal indicators of cholesterol in the blood of an adult person are as follows:
- For total cholesterol: below 5.2 Mmol / L
- High-density lipoproteins - more than 1 Mmol / l
- Low density - less than 3.5 Mmol / l
- Triglycerides - less than 2 Mmol / L
Maintaining this balance is very important, and in case of violations it should be restored. For this purpose, groups of drugs and drugs were developed:
- Statins are an effective group that blocks the function of cholesterol-producing enzymes.
- Probucol is a means for lowering the level of both bad and good cholesterol, which does not affect the state of triglycerides.
- Fibrates - a group of drugs that lower the amount of triglycerides in the blood.
- Nicotinic acid and benzaflavin belong to the group of vitamins B, their long-term use contributes to the reduction of bad cholesterol, and significantly reduces the risk of blood clots.
- Medications that suppress the absorption of cholesterol in the intestines. They contribute to the slow absorption of cholesterol, thereby lowering its concentration in the blood.
- Bile acid sequestrants actively remove them from the body. With a lack of these acids, the liver begins the synthesis of healthy cholesterol in large quantities.
So, the list of drugs to combat high cholesterol is very large. The choice of the most appropriate means is better to carry out together with the doctor, on the basis of blood parameters and the needs of a particular organism.
When drugs are prescribed to lower cholesterol
Preparations for lowering cholesterol should be prescribed by a doctor.
These preparations can be prescribed only by the attending physician, and only after passing tests. The fact is that a single standard of cholesterol does not exist, it depends primarily on age and gender.
In addition, other factors may influence this indicator, therefore it is forbidden to make decisions and prescribe drugs for yourself.
Regarding the control and timely detection of deviations of these indicators, a person should be tested once a year. But if a person belongs to a risk group, then testing should be held 2-3 times a year.
Depending on the results, the attending physician prescribes pills, indicates dosages and gives recommendations. You cannot change anything yourself, the course of treatment is monitored by a doctor.
Classification of drugs to reduce cholesterol in the blood
Modern pharmaceuticals offer several types of drugs. They are appointed depending on the individual indicators of a person and the results of analyzes.
In the event that in the course of research in humans, the level of lipoproteins, which have a low density, is elevated, then the treatment is prescribed comprehensively, only this way the positive effect of treatment can be achieved. The diet of the person is surely reviewed, and physical activities increase.
- group of statins,
- fibrate group
- drugs based on nicotinic acid,
- Dietary supplements,
- a group of drugs that block cholesterol penetration.
All drugs have one principle of action: they are designed to block so that cholesterol is not produced in the liver.
The importance of normalizing cholesterol
Increased cholesterol in the blood fluid can cause many diseases. However, it is worth remembering that this substance is divided into good cholesterol and bad. The presence of the first is necessary for participation in most vital processes (hormone synthesis, membrane construction at the cellular level).
In turn, the content in the body of bad cholesterol often leads to the development of diseases of the heart and blood vessels. This is due to the fact that lipoproteins, which have a low density, can cause sclerotic plaques to form on the vascular walls.
To eliminate such an adverse factor, in most cases anti-cholesterol preparations are prescribed.
Prerequisites for taking medication
Some symptoms may indicate an increase in cholesterol index:
- heart failure,
- fatigue and soreness in the lower limbs during intense exercise,
- yellow tint around the eyes,
- rupture of blood vessels.
If you suspect a pathology, you must contact a medical institution for a biochemical blood test. If the result showed high values, the doctor will prescribe the appropriate treatment.
Cholesterol-lowering drugs are used if other methods do not produce an effective result.
In addition, the prerequisites for the treatment of drugs are:
- coronary heart disease, which increases the risk of heart attack,
- genetic predisposition
- history of stroke or heart attack,
- coronary artery disease.
You can not reduce cholesterol drugs in the following cases:
- there is no threat to the life and health of the patient against the background of a stroke or heart attack,
- a woman will not reach the period of menopause,
- history of diabetes mellitus.
Regardless of the evidence, you can not pick up the drug yourself. For the appointment of therapy, you must consult a doctor.
Nicotinic Acid Preparations
Nicotinic acid tablets help lower the concentration of low-density lipoproteins by suppressing their production. The answer to the question of how this process is carried out has not been received to the present.
Meanwhile, experts have confirmed that if you take the drug in large quantities, you can significantly reduce the risk of atherosclerosis.
Among the adverse reactions emit:
- the fever that feels sick in the upper region of the body and face,
- the appearance of allergic reactions
- increase in glucose in patients with diabetes,
- disruption of the digestive tract system.
In this regard, the intake of nicotinic acid should begin with a small dose with a gradual increase. During the entire period of treatment with this drug, the patient must be under the supervision of a doctor.
- stomach ulcer and gastritis,
- chronic hepatitis,
- pathology of the heart (there may be a decrease or increase in heartbeat).
One of the most effective products containing this substance is Enduracin.
Bile acid sequestrants
Drugs belonging to this group reduce cholesterol levels by combining bile acids and converting them into compounds that do not dissolve in water. However, the human body does not do without them and gets the substance through the production of cholesterol. As a result of such processes, there is a decrease in the number of pathogenic lipoproteins in the blood composition.
- no side effect
- no systemic impact.
- a positive result will be noticeable only after a few weeks with regular use of the drug,
- there is no improvement in the state of the vascular system,
- the process of saturation with vitamins and necessary substances is disturbed.
Sequestrants are taken in increased doses, they need to drink plenty of water. Against this background, malfunctions of the digestive system can occur, which is accompanied by nausea, constipation or diarrhea, bloating.
Among the best tools in this category:
- Cholestyramine. It is a powdered agent from which the suspension is prepared. The substance of the same name, present in the composition, helps to reduce the absorption of fatty acids and cholesterol, as well as stimulates the production of bile acid in the liver, due to which harmful cholesterol begins to be consumed.
- Cholestipol. It contains an anion exchange resin, which is involved in the process of combining bile acid and their transformation into compounds that do not dissolve in a liquid. The action of the drug reduces the amount of dangerous cholesterol, while maintaining beneficial HDL (high density lipoproteins).
Since the means of this group differ in local influence, they do not give negative effects of a systemic nature. In order to prevent pathological processes in the digestive organs, the dose should be increased slowly to the desired destination.
In addition, it is worth noting that sequestrants may impair the absorption of other medications. In this regard, they are taken four hours before or one hour after using another means.
This is a separate category of drugs that normalize the value of cholesterol, as well as correct the metabolism and synthesis of animal fats in the human body.
Basically prescribe drugs from the list of funds below:
- Bezafibrat. Tablets not only contribute to the reduction of lipid fats, but also improve the general condition of patients diagnosed with angina and ischemia. Names of such means: Oralipin, Benzamidin, Tsedur. The duration of therapy is 30 days. After that a break is made for a month.
- Gemfibrozil. Lowers triglycerides, low-density fat, and helps accelerate the excretion of cholesterol. The effect can be noticed after taking the pills for 30 days. Since the substance is stored for a long time in the blood liquid, it is allowed to take short breaks in the treatment, a therapeutic effect will be present.
- This is a fibrate. Its action lowers blood viscosity and blood clots. In most cases, pharmacies sell medicine that has a similar effect, called Lipo-Mertz. The drug is taken once a day after eating.
Fibrates are contraindicated in:
- childbearing and breastfeeding,
- liver failure and liver cirrhosis,
- hypersensitivity to components
- renal failure chronic form.
among the side effects observed:
- disorders of the digestive tract,
It is worth noting that negative consequences are found in rare cases.
These are the most popular anti-cholesterol pills from all groups.
Among the means of the first generation there are:
They have a positive effect on the production of beneficial cholesterol and are prescribed if there is a high level of LDL. Simvastatin is considered a good remedy. If you take it for a long time, there is the elimination of vascular spasms and a decrease in blood pressure.
Statin 2 generation:
Assign them in extreme cases due to the high risk of side effects..
Preparations 3 generations:
They have a smaller list of negative actions. Atorvastatin is present in every drug.
New generation drugs:
These are more modern medications that are used to clean up cholesterol levels. Their feature is safety, minimal risk of negative consequences.
Patients should remember that taking statins on their own is prohibited. The appointment is carried out exclusively by the attending physician. If you ignore the doctor's prescriptions, then the likelihood of some side effects increases, which is accompanied by:
- nausea and vomiting
- headaches, dizziness,
- cardiac arrhythmias,
- flatulence, constipation or diarrhea,
- pains in muscles and joints,
- swelling, allergies, itching,
- violation of the kidneys and liver.
Contraindications to receive:
- predisposition to allergic reaction,
- component intolerance,
- diseases of the liver and kidneys,
- the period of pregnancy and breastfeeding,
- endocrine disruption.
Rapid effect is given, as a rule, fourth-generation statins, which can be seen in the first month of use.
Use of this group of drugs is permissible only with a slight excess of the indicator or as an adjunct to the main therapy.
The following products have good anti-cholesterol effects:
- dog rose
- celery, garlic and carrots help clean the vessels
- yarrow, linden, motherwort, oats improve liver function and lower cholesterol.
Dandelion roots help to improve the activity of the digestive system, enrich the body with essential substances, and do not allow absorbability of cholesterol that comes with food.
Among dietary supplements, the following are the most popular:
- Aterol. It has an action that helps cleanse the blood and liver, and also controls the weight of the patient. Produced in the form of capsules. In addition, the tool normalizes the activity of the digestive tract, aimed at splitting harmful compounds and removing them from the human body.
- Choledol. Improves lipid metabolism, reduces the concentration of cholesterol, restores blood flow. The drug does not give side effects and contributes to the rapid improvement of health.
Anti-cholesterol alfalfa and ateroclefit are no less popular. The peculiarity of the saponins present in alfalfa lies in their complex therapeutic action.
They not only prevent the formation of negative cholesterol, but also prevent vascular atherosclerosis, increase the immune defense, have an antitumor effect.
Drugs during pregnancy
If during the decoding of the biochemical analysis of blood it was revealed that the value of cholesterol significantly exceeded the norm, medication is prescribed. Most often, the doctor prescribes a group of statins with effective action. However, it is worth remembering that during pregnancy these drugs are contraindicated.
In such a situation, Hofitol is prescribed to pregnant women. Allowable rate - no more than three tablets per day. Do not self-medicate. To get an appointment, it is better to seek help from a specialist.
The most popular drugs
Among the cheap, but effective means are:
- lipoic acid
- garlic tablets,
The most popular and frequently prescribed are:
- Aterol is one of the most effective drugs in the fight against high cholesterol. Among its main advantages are the absence of negative consequences, a short treatment (about three courses of administration are enough), natural components in the composition.
- The statins of the new generation and simvastatin.
- Ezetrol is a little familiar tool, but effective. Its action is aimed at preventing the absorption of cholesterol, while not blocking the process, but slowing it down.
- Fish oil with omega-3.
If blood biochemistry showed excess of cholesterol, it is necessary to contact a specialist who will prescribe the appropriate treatment. If you do not take any measures to reduce the rate, the risk of serious consequences increases, which can provoke a stroke and a heart attack.
Statins, their properties and features of use
Statins are considered the most effective and popular group of drugs used to treat pathologies associated with high levels of cholesterol in the blood. The termination of the synthesis of LDL (low density lipids) in the body leads to their active breakdown and release from the bloodstream. In direct proportion to the date of their development and initial use in medicine, the funds are conventionally divided into 4 generations:
- The statins of the first generation include Pravastatin, Simvastatin and Lovastatin. Their effect on cholesterol is somewhat weaker than that of newer drugs, and side effects are more frequent and more pronounced.
- The second generation includes fluvastatin-based products (for example, Leskol Forte). These funds are endowed with a more lasting effect, due to the increased concentration of the active substance. Also often criticized due to the presence of side effects.
- Third-generation statins include Atorvastatin (Atoris, Atomax, Tulip, Liptonorm, etc.). These drugs can not only lower triglyceride levels and LDL, but also systematically increase good cholesterol.
- Among the drugs of the fourth (new) generation of Roxer, Akorta, Rosulip, Tevastor, etc. Their main active ingredient is rozuvastatin. Science does not stand still and the means of the latest developments combine maximum safety and efficiency.
It is recommended to take statins in the second half of the day, as more cholesterol is synthesized at night. To reduce or eliminate side effects, during treatment, doctors advise you also to take Coenzyme Q10, in a daily dosage of 200 mg.
Preparations of the first generation are made on the basis of natural components, all subsequent ones - on synthetic ones. However, this does not mean that they are safer. Absolutely natural pills do not exist, all the listed medications have certain side effects and contraindications, so they should be taken only as prescribed by a doctor.
Use of fibric acids
Along with the statins, fibrates are widely used to lower cholesterol in the blood composition (products developed on the basis of fibric acid). The action of drugs aimed at suppressing the production of LDL and triglycerides with a simultaneous increase in HDL (good cholesterol).
The first representative of this group was Clofibrate, which was commonly used to treat vascular atherosclerosis, but had serious side effects. Over time, the tool was being finalized, which led to the appearance of fibrates of a new generation: Bezafibrat, Fenofibrate, Tsifrofibrata and Gemfobrozil. These drugs are less toxic and safer for the human body, and they are able to lower the amount of fatty acids in the plasma and increase the effectiveness of drugs prescribed for diabetes.
The main side effects in the treatment of fibric acid derivatives include:
- pains: headache, muscle and in the abdominal cavity
- bloating, flatulence
- loss of appetite and feeling of dry mouth
- nausea and vertigo
- allergic reactions
Fibric acid preparations are not indicated for pregnant and lactating women, young people at puberty, patients with severe hepatic and renal insufficiency. They are used with caution and in minimal doses used to lower cholesterol in people with diseases of the digestive system and gastrointestinal tract.
Means released on the basis of fibroic acids are not combined with all medicines. Therefore, to use them without a doctor's prescription is extremely undesirable and even dangerous.
Means that suppress the absorption of cholesterol in the intestine
These funds prevent the absorption of cholesterol in the intestinal wall of food, respectively, its return to the liver and release into the blood is significantly reduced. As inhibitors that reduce cholesterol absorption (ISAH) in the intestine, Lipobon and Ezetrol are used, as well as a biologically active additive Guarem.
The advantages of these funds include:
- High security, since they are practically not absorbed into the blood.
- The possibility of their use in complex therapy, combining reception with statins and other means.
- There are no contraindications for use among people with liver failure and diseases.
Quite an effective means of absorbing cholesterol in the intestine and removing it from the body, is a dietary supplement Guarem. Its undeniable advantages:
- acceleration of bile acids
- diminished appetite (overweight people are most often affected by high cholesterol)
- excellent compatibility with other drugs
- ease of use (granules just need to be added to any drink)
In extremely rare cases, there are side effects in the form of liquefied stools, nausea, pain in the intestinal area and flatulence. These symptoms quickly pass, often on their own, while the level of cholesterol systematically and significantly decreases.
Means of the ISAH group stimulate and enhance the effectiveness of statins, but at the same time, they can provoke and aggravate their side effects when used together. They are contraindicated in women during pregnancy and lactation.
A nicotinic acid
Another cholesterol-lowering agent in blood is Niacin or Niacin. Drugs manufactured on the basis of Nicotinic acid: Niceritrol, Atsipimoks, Enduracin help reduce the concentration of bad cholesterol in the blood and reduce the risk of blood clots.
Common negative reactions of the body to nicotinic acid are:
- Sensation of heat in the upper torso and face.
- Allergic reactions.
- Violations of the gastrointestinal tract (not recommended for people suffering from gastritis and peptic ulcer disease).
- Increased glucose in diabetes.
Taking into account the listed possible side effects, treatment with nicotinic acid begins with minimal doses, gradually increasing them. Therapy is carried out under constant supervision and medical supervision. To achieve lasting positive results, a long course of treatment is necessary.
Enduracin - the drug of the new generation based on Nicotinic acid is transferred much more easily and has a minimum of undesirable effects. However, without exception, drugs based on it are contraindicated in chronic forms of hepatitis, serious cardiac rhythm disturbances, gout, and ulcerative lesions of the duodenum and stomach.
Additional cholesterol lowering methods
For lowering cholesterol, compulsory conditions are diet, an active lifestyle with moderate physical exertion, weight loss, and giving up bad habits (alcohol and smoking). The basic daily ration of a person with high cholesterol should consist of sea and river fish, low-fat dietary meat, vegetables and fruits, cereals, green tea, various cereals and dairy products with reduced fat content.
Pomegranate reduces cholesterol
Food products that help lower cholesterol include: avocados and wild berries, pistachios, almonds and sesame, oatmeal and legumes, greens and cabbage, olive oil and sea fish. Regular proper nutrition will help remove atherosclerotic plaques from the body and increase the production of good lipids. Often get rid of excess cholesterol is possible with the help of diet and lifestyle correction, without the use of drugs.
Dietary supplements are widely used to normalize cholesterol levels and prevent atherosclerosis. Judging by the positive reviews, the most popular of them are: FibroBet, Ateroclefit, Verbena - clean vessels and Vita Taurine. These additives, preventing the absorption of LDL and absorbing them, have a beneficial effect on the vessels and heart, stabilize the liver and the entire digestive system.
Do not forget about traditional medicine, in this case it is no less effective, but safer. Here are some proven recipes and experience:
- Infusion of propolis will clear the vessels, and it will not be too difficult to cook it at home. Propolis can be purchased on the market from beekeepers and honey sellers. The product is filled with alcohol (preferably seventy percent, but it can also be vodka) in the proportion of 10 g of propolis per 90 g of liquid. It is necessary to insist on the drug for two weeks, in the dark at room temperature. Every day several times it is necessary to shake the bottle with the contents intensively.
Take three times a day, before a meal, seven drops, dissolved in a glass of water. The course of treatment is four months.
- Powder from dry dandelion root is an excellent tool for lowering cholesterol and preventing atherosclerosis. The root of the plant must be dug, thoroughly washed and dried, then grind with a mortar or grinder to a powder. A teaspoon of the finished mass should be consumed before each meal, for six months.
- Rowan berries are also quite effective in solving cholesterol problems. They can simply be eaten fresh five pieces before a meal, or prepare a tasty medicine: chop the berries with a meat grinder and mix with honey in proportions 2/1. Keep the mixture in the refrigerator and take 1 tsp. before eating. This tool is endowed with a variety of medicinal properties and a pleasant taste, but it is categorically not suitable for allergies.
In general, there are a lot of ways to lower cholesterol, it is important to be able to choose an effective and safe means for your body. In the struggle for their own health and longevity, as in war, all the available methods are good, and in this case the help of a careful and competent doctor is the best strategy.
Noticed a mistake? Select it and click Ctrl + Enterto let us know.
Blood cholesterol is measured in millimoles per liter (mmol / l). For ordinary people, 2,586 mmol / l (the maximum value) is considered the norm of cholesterol, and for those with cardiovascular diseases - 1,810 mmol / l. Often people take tests for cholesterol (the norm is 3.8-6.7 mmol / l).
If the indicator of cholesterol only occasionally exceeds the norm, then doctors do not prescribe special medicines, they recommend to reduce cholesterol in the blood with the help of an individual diet. If a large level of this substance in the blood is retained for a long time, then special treatment is indispensable.
Causes of High Cholesterol
One of the rare causes of this disease is hereditary familial dyslipoproteinemia, this disease reflects the abnormalities that have arisen in the composition of lipoproteins. Experts are always anxious about such cases, since they need to be considered individually.
But the main causes of high cholesterol:
- Various liver diseases,
- Constant nutrition (consumption of trans fat, carbohydrate and fatty foods, lack of fiber),
- Lack of thyroid hormones,
- Lack of activity, sedentary work,
- Various kidney diseases,
There are other individual causes, such as taking some rare drugs. In such situations, there is no cause for concern, because the level of cholesterol in the blood will fall after stopping the intake of these medicines.
Prevention is required in situations if you notice a one-time increase in blood cholesterol. Also, prevention is required when you have a predisposition. The main thing, according to doctors, is a healthy lifestyle, try to move more and eat right.
Allocate more time to active outdoor recreation, sign up for a swimming pool, walk and refuse an elevator. Then you can beat cholesterol.
1. Give up all bad habits
Rejection of bad habits (no matter how it sounds) will help you to completely change your life, but you need to understand that this will be very problematic. Cigarettes and alcohol cause enormous harm to the body, because people destroy themselves regularly!
If for some reason you are unwell, then the first step to recovery is to give up bad habits, your body will begin to recover, its functions will improve, and the ailment will recede.
As for high cholesterol, smoking affects it indirectly. It causes atherosclerosis, which is already causing a gradual increase in cholesterol. This happens in smokers with solid experience.
Once upon a time, people believed that alcohol was an excellent medicine, if used a little bit. There is still no single opinion, because even experts argue among themselves. Some scientists believe that 50 grams of strong drink lead cholesterol to normal!
If we agree with this theory, it is impossible not to take into account that hardly anyone will limit themselves to a small amount, therefore, doctors strongly advise against drinking beverages containing alcohol. So lower cholesterol just will not work.
Reputable specialist also carried out work related to the study of the possible benefits of alcohol, but, according to most, he brings much more harm than good. For example, for hypertensive patients and diabetics, alcohol is generally considered poison!
2. Start to constantly engage in sports.
According to reputable cardiologists, an active lifestyle and regular exercise will help you feel better, strengthen your body, and most importantly, lower cholesterol. The blocks located in the arteries will be gradually eliminated.
Many refuse to train because they find it difficult, but for health promotion it is not necessary to join professional sport, your task is different! Start with a normal charge that will bring the whole body into a certain tone.
According to many studies, people involved in sports, whose age is more than 50-60 years old, live longer and practically do not face cardiovascular diseases. At this age, the word "sport" means something different, because in order for the body to get the necessary load, 30 minutes of walking at an average pace is enough, because it is much better than spending the whole day on the couch.
3. Visit a nutritionist and make an individual diet.
Proper nutrition is another universal advice that will help and reduce cholesterol in the blood, and the health of the whole organism depends on it.Many of those who switched to a healthy diet do not regret about it, because they immediately felt the improvement.
First, the body began to receive all the important vitamins, because there is everything in a properly formulated diet. Secondly, healthy food does not go as much money as harmful products.
All you need is the skill of cooking (it can be developed), and the ingredients are relatively cheap. Thirdly, the food will cease to be the most important for you in life, the portions will decrease, the extra weight will go away.
Yes, a balanced diet and all its listed benefits have a positive effect on cholesterol levels. Many of the problems themselves will disappear when you change your diet. You may not even need drugs to lower cholesterol.
1. Containing nicotinic acid
Nicotinic acid is known for its effectiveness in combating high cholesterol, it increases the level of lipoproteins, a positive effect on the condition of the blood vessels. It has a property associated with blocking the spontaneous release of glycerol and fatty acids into the blood.
Also, nicotinic acid can interfere with the synthesis of cholesterol that occurs in the liver.
The vasodilator property, which is inherent in nicotinic acid, helps to defeat atherosclerosis (the stage of disease progression does not really matter). Under its action, the speed of the atherosclerotic process decreases markedly, soft cholesterol plaques stop development and decrease, and the level of cholesterol in the cell membranes decreases.
For people suffering from diabetes, the good news is that nicotinic acid can affect blood sugar levels, bringing it back to normal.
People who want to quickly reduce cholesterol, often prefer nicotinic acid, for the reason that its cost is relatively small.
Among the drawbacks of such preparations, it is worth highlighting only the fact that a large dose, which is necessary to achieve an acceptable effect, can cause unpleasant consequences (for example, high fever).
Nicotinic acid is forbidden to people who have any problems with the liver, because it adversely affects its work. Everyone should worry about this, therefore, taking drugs, the main component of which is nicotinic acid, do not forget about special vitamins.
Many doctors treat fibrates negatively because they negatively affect the liver, reducing the synthesis of fats, greatly increasing the risk of the formation of unwanted kidney stones.
Such drugs would not be released, but they do a good job with the main task - to reduce cholesterol in the blood, so fibrates are suitable for one-time use.
Here are vivid examples of drugs belonging to this group:
Doctors sometimes advise to resort to traditional medicine (but each prescription must be coordinated with experts in advance, because in your case it can only hurt), because it is a worthy alternative. Below are some popular recipes.
All such medicine is trying to answer the question: "What foods will help reduce blood cholesterol quickly and efficiently?"
In hawthorn and flowers, and fruits recognized as medicinal. Many doctors advise using them in the fight against undesirable cholesterol. For this you need to find hawthorn blossoms that have a great effect.
Hawthorn flowers poured with boiling water should stand for at least half an hour, after which you can use the broth. The recommended dosage is 1 tablespoon (3-5 times per day).
This plant does not like gardeners, but it will allow you to easily reduce cholesterol. The dandelion itself is a healing plant, so you can find many recipes associated with it.
To combat cholesterol, it is recommended to use only the dandelion rhizome (leaves and inflorescences are also useful, but they are not able to reduce cholesterol).
You need to chop the rhizome (pre-dry it). Take it inside, be sure to drink water!
This tool is designed for a long time, so the results should wait only a few months.
It is also worth mentioning about lime, which is a good alternative to hawthorn and dandelion. The level of cholesterol is affected by its inflorescences, which must be turned into powder and taken orally 2-4 times a day.
Drugs that suppress the absorption of cholesterol in the intestines
By slowing down the absorption of cholesterol from food in the intestines, these agents reduce its concentration in the blood.
The most effective of this group of remedies is guar. This is a herbal food supplement derived from the seeds of hyacinth beans. It consists of a water-soluble polysaccharide, which forms a jelly like upon contact with a fluid in the intestinal lumen.
Guarem mechanically removes cholesterol molecules from the intestinal wall. It accelerates the excretion of bile acids, leading to increased capture of cholesterol from the blood to the liver for their synthesis. The drug suppresses appetite and reduces the amount of food eaten, which leads to weight loss and lipid content in the blood.
Guaram is produced in granules, which should be added to the liquid (water, juice, milk). The drug should be combined with other anti-atherosclerotic agents.
Side effects include bloating, nausea, pain in the intestines, and sometimes loose stools. However, they are expressed slightly, rarely occur, with continued therapy they pass by themselves.
Other lipid-lowering drugs
Benzaflavin belongs to the group of vitamin B2. It improves metabolism in the liver, causes a decrease in blood glucose levels, triglycerides, total cholesterol. The drug is well tolerated, appointed by long courses.
Essentiale contains essential phospholipids, B vitamins, nicotinamide, unsaturated fatty acids, sodium pantothenate. The drug improves the breakdown and elimination of "bad" cholesterol, activates the beneficial properties of "good" cholesterol.
Lipostabil is close in composition and action to Essentiale.
Omega-3 triglycerides (omacor) are prescribed for the treatment of hypertriglyceridemia (with the exception of type 1 hyperchylomicronemia), as well as for the prevention of recurrent myocardial infarction.
Ezetimibe (ezetrol) delays the absorption of cholesterol in the intestine, reducing its intake to the liver. It reduces the content of "bad" cholesterol in the blood. The drug is most effective in combination with statins.
Video on "Cholesterol and statins: is it worth taking medicine?"
Statins: four generations of drugs
The drug is the first generation of statins
Preparations of the group of statins are the most popular in medicine. With the development of pharmaceuticals, the preparations have also been improved, and now four generations of drugs of this group are being charged.
The first generation includes drugs that for many years have proven their effectiveness and to this day have been successfully used for treatment. The principle of operation is to block the process that is involved in the synthesis of cholesterol. In other words, when these drugs enter the body, they do not allow the production of low-density lipoproteins. This in turn allows the body to break down excess cholesterol.
In addition, these drugs contribute to improving the elasticity of blood vessels.
These drugs include:
Prescribe drugs can only doctor after all research. These drugs have contraindications, can cause side effects.
The third generation of statins
The drug Fluvostatin, belongs to the second generation and occupies a high position in popularity. He gained such popularity due to high efficiency and rather low cost. But at the same time he has very serious side effects, so it can not be attributed to the best drugs.
Only a doctor can prescribe it, and only if the risk of side effects is fully justified.
If we talk about the third generation, these are two drugs that have completely opposite characteristics.
The latest generation of statins
The first - Atorvastatin, has positive characteristics, has established itself as an effective medicine.
The second is Ceristatin; studies have been conducted regarding this drug, during which it was proved that it is life threatening. Developed countries have abandoned this drug and its use is prohibited.
The last generation include Rosuvastatin, Pitavastatin, Holedol.
For example, the last drug has an active substance - amaranth, namely, the juice and seeds of the plant. Therefore, drugs of this generation are allowed to take a long time. But at the same time, as in other cases, they are appointed only by a doctor.
The risk of side effects from drugs in this group is really great. Therefore, the appointment of their patient should be fully justified.
To reduce low-density lipoproteins, the doctor may prescribe a drug only if the rate of cholesterol is significantly exceeded. In addition, the appointment is acceptable if there is a threat:
- sudden coronary syndrome,
- myocardial infarction,
In other cases, the appointment is completely unreasonable. Therefore, drugs in this group are replaced by other drugs that are not so dangerous to health.
Side effects include:
- Headache, insomnia, asthenic syndrome.
- Violation of the processes of the gastrointestinal tract, it leads to vomiting, nausea, stool is broken. In addition, gastrointestinal disorders can lead to pancreatitis and jaundice.
- Disturbances of the nervous system lead to lethargy, dizziness, malaise, memory lapses, hypoesthesia can occur.
- Disorders in the musculoskeletal system can occur, such as arthritis, myositis, pain in the spine, convulsive syndrome.
- Allergic reactions.
- Changes in blood sugar.
- Weight gain.
- Decreased sexual activity.
Most side effects are a threat to health, so their reception is strictly controlled by the doctor. During treatment, tests are taken regularly to control cholesterol. These tests must be taken at least once every 3 months, but this is an individual appointment.
What are the criteria for choosing a drug?
As already mentioned, only a doctor can prescribe a drug. Before the appointment, the patient must pass all tests, undergo a consultation with a cardiologist, only after that, together with the therapist, the medicine is prescribed. In this case, all factors are taken into account and possible risks are assessed.
Mandatory factors that should be considered when prescribing for any patient:
- pathologies associated with the cardiovascular system,
- the presence of other diseases, including chronic,
- glucose level indicator.
If taking statins is not justified, then the patient is prescribed alternative means that have a positive effect and do not pose a health hazard.
These drugs are designed for the same effect as the statins. The principle of their action is as follows: during administration, fibrates are bound to bile acid, which directly affects the reduction of cholesterol production.
In addition, they contribute to the reduction of lipids, thereby reducing cholesterol. Quite often, statins are combined with these drugs, it helps to reduce the dosage, and hence reduce the risk of side effects.
Clinical studies of drugs have shown that while receiving patients there is a decrease:
- Cholesterol within 25%,
- Triglycerides from 40 to 50%.
But with such indicators of reducing the level, good cholesterol, on the contrary, increases from 10 to 30%. These drugs act outside the vessels and destroy deposits in the blood. These drugs include:
Prescribes medicine only a doctor, according to individual indicators. Like all drugs, they have their own contraindications and side effects.
Homeopathy - dietary supplements
If we consider dietary supplements, they can not be attributed to drugs and medicine as such. The fact is that they do not undergo proper clinical studies. But at the same time, doctors practice such treatment, and the appointment of such funds is allowed.
For example, Omega 3, in other words, fish oil, has always been useful and has been taken since early childhood. It is an excellent prevention of depression and arthritis. In addition, it protects against diseases of the cardiovascular system, which was the reason for the appointment of patients with elevated cholesterol. But it should also be taken as prescribed by a doctor and strictly according to the prescribed dosage. After all, its excess in the body can lead to chronic pancreatitis.
Phytopreparation Tykveol made from pumpkin seeds. It has anti-inflammatory and choleretic action, also antioxidant and hepatoprotective. It can be prescribed to people suffering from atherosclerosis, cholecystitis, hepatitis.
Lipoic acid is an endogenous antioxidant. It promotes carbohydrate metabolism, increased glycogen, helps to improve the trophic neurons. Most often, it is prescribed for such diseases as coronary atherosclerosis.
SievePrene is a source of beta-sitosterol, and also contains polyprenols. It is made of fir paws. Often prescribed for hypertension and atherosclerosis, the practice is prescribed for high cholesterol.
In addition, vitamin therapy is prescribed, this is when vitamins are taken in combination. But this treatment does not use synthetic vitamins, the diet is chosen so that the menu contains foods rich in certain groups of vitamins.
As you can see, the treatment of this disease is quite a difficult, long and dangerous process. Drugs that really help, can cause harm due to the large number of side effects. Therefore, you should be very careful and responsible attitude to your health.
If you pass the inspection on time and pass the necessary tests, then you will not need long-term treatment. Be sure to reconsider your diet, because there are foods that help increase cholesterol, but at the same time, there are those that lower it. Required sufficient physical activity.
Some foods can help lower cholesterol.
Many people think about the right lifestyle and proper nutrition, which is absolutely not in vain. Indeed, in the assortment of products that are found on the shelves, there are those that bring nothing but harm. If we talk about cholesterol and its norm, which should not be exceeded, then the following products should be excluded:
- salty crackers,
- smoked meat
- alcoholic drinks,
- carbonated sweet water
- sweet pastry,
- fatty food.
It is very important that the menu contains a variety of foods that will saturate the body with vitamins. Such products are useful:
Few people know, but the usual raspberries, viburnum, and black mountain ash help lower cholesterol. In addition, the dogrose copes well with this, which has a lot of positive properties.
It is necessary to move enough and load yourself with physical exertion. This is not necessarily sports in the gym, enough morning exercises and exercises before bedtime.
It is important to know
Speaking of high cholesterol, it is very important to know that its decrease should occur only under the supervision of a physician. There is his norm, which should be achieved.
If you reduce cholesterol to a critical level, then the consequences can be very serious. Therefore, the decision on treatment is made only by the doctor, prescribes drugs and during the whole treatment controls the health and condition of the patient.
Sometimes it is very difficult to keep up with the rhythm of life and pay due attention to your health. It seems that if nothing bothers, then there are no health problems. But as practice shows, everything is much more complicated.
From the above, we can make a simple conclusion that the disease can develop rapidly, while at the same time to not make itself felt. In most cases, we learn about the disease when it has already reached critical limits and requires serious and long-term treatment. It will take much more time and effort than just to pass the analysis once a year. Therefore, do not avoid doctors, you need to listen to their recommendations and advice.
Additional information about statins can be found in the video.
Noticed a mistake? Select it and click Ctrl + Enterto let us know.