Every person has ever encountered diarrhea. Loose stools, pain and turbulence in the stomach cause a lot of discomfort. However, a healthy person in a couple of days, in the absence of complications and the disappearance of symptoms, decides that he has not eaten something and will forget about everything. If we are talking about a woman carrying a child, the level of anxiety increases significantly.
Causes of diarrhea during pregnancy
Diarrhea during pregnancy is a threat to the fetus
Dehydration, cramps and abdominal pain can lead to premature birth or harm the baby. Therefore, it is very important to know how to stop diarrhea during pregnancy, what to do and how to avoid it. First, find out why diarrhea occurs in pregnant women:
- Toxicosis. We used to think that early toxicosis (up to 12 weeks) is expressed only in nausea, but it may well be accompanied by diarrhea. In this case, the woman will not feel much pain. The chair will be simply speeded up and liquefied, without extraneous inclusions, without changing the color and increasing the volume. In this case, do not worry, it is enough to eat right and follow the regime of drinking.
- Vitamins. All pregnant women, without exception, doctors prescribe vitamins. Courses can be interrupted, adjusted, but all drink vitamins. This is explained by the fact that during this period the body especially needs additional vitamins and microelements. However, he may react to them unexpectedly. If you notice that diarrhea begins after taking the pill, stop taking them and consult a doctor.
- Hormones. Hormonal alteration also affects intestinal function. In the early stages it is anxious, but right before birth, it is normal. The intestine is self-cleaning.
- Growing womb. The uterus is constantly increasing and putting pressure on other organs. Sometimes it provokes various problems such as diarrhea, cholecystitis and others. It is necessary to monitor the color of feces, regularly take tests to monitor the work of internal organs.
- Microorganisms. It is impossible to exclude the fact that pathogenic bacteria, viruses that caused diarrhea entered the woman's body. This condition is dangerous for the fetus. Therefore, with severe diarrhea, nausea, vomiting, fever, you should immediately consult a doctor.
- Nutrition. The presence of products having a laxative effect can also cause diarrhea. For example, prunes, which are eaten with anemia, fruits, berries. In this case, diarrhea will not be too frequent and strong.
How to treat diarrhea during pregnancy?
Self-medication during pregnancy is not worth doing!
In no case can not self-medicate, take any drugs or folk remedies without the knowledge of the doctor. Most drugs are prohibited for pregnant women. This is especially true for early deadlines. No need to think that drinking plenty of liquids is weak and thins the stool. With diarrhea, you need to drink more than usual to avoid dangerous dehydration. You can take Smektu and Regidron. The first removes toxins, and the second restores the water balance in the body. Even taking such harmless preparations is necessary, having previously studied the instructions and following the dosage. With mild diarrhea, you can do without them.
A doctor can recommend safe folk remedies to help cope with diarrhea without causing allergies. For example, you can dilute 1 teaspoon of starch in a glass of lukewarm water and drink at a time. Such a recipe will help stop stool liquefaction. However, for abdominal pain and continued attacks of diarrhea, you should consult a doctor.
- You can drink a decoction of the pomegranate peel. It strengthens and does not harm the body. You can not drink it in its pure form, and add to tea. Blackberry leaves have the same property.
- Walnut leaves are used as an astringent for diarrhea. They have a lot of vitamins. They even help to stop the bleeding in case of a stomach ulcer.
- Sometimes diarrhea is the result of stress and nervous tension. If so, the pregnant woman must take a sedative, which the doctor prescribes (mint decoction, motherwort in tablets, etc.). It is not necessary to take such drugs without the recommendation of a doctor, some herbs that are part of sedatives, increase the tone of the uterus and can cause miscarriage.
- Loperamide during pregnancy is not prohibited, but before taking it, you should consult with your doctor. This drug quickly stops diarrhea, but can cause constipation if you overdo it with the dosage.
It is important to distinguish between diarrhea caused by pregnancy itself and a dangerous condition for the body. In the second case, diarrhea is repeated often, the stool is very liquid, resembles water in consistency, while the woman experiences abdominal pain, cramps, nausea.
What is dangerous diarrhea during pregnancy?
Dehydration - the danger of diarrhea!
How dangerous diarrhea is for the fetus and for the health of the woman herself can only be judged by considering each case. Diarrhea can be completely harmless if it is a manifestation of toxemia and does not cause pain, or it occurs immediately before birth. Slight and infrequent diarrhea should not cause concern. But if viruses and bacteria become the cause of diarrhea, it can cause significant harm to the child, to which some of the toxins also flow through the blood. For this reason, a pregnant woman is recommended to refuse dangerous products such as mushrooms, rolls with raw fish, etc.
The most dangerous thing that can happen with diarrhea is dehydration. With prolonged diarrhea, the body loses a large amount of moisture. It is considered dangerous to diarrhea, repeated more than 5 times a day. With such water loss, the amount of vitamins and microelements in the body is significantly reduced, which affects the development and condition of the child. Severe dehydration leads to miscarriage or a serious malformation. How to understand that dehydration has come? First, you need to count how many times a woman went to the toilet in a day. Secondly, monitor urination. With dehydration, urge to urinate completely disappears or is very rare, the urine darkens. A pregnant woman is constantly thirsty, feels dry mouth, dizziness, fatigue, drowsiness, weakness. It is urgent to stop the loss of fluid and begin to replenish it with the help of Regidron.
The risk of diarrhea also depends on its severity and duration. One-day diarrhea does not cause significant harm to the body. If diarrhea lasts about two weeks, you should seriously treat. Most often, such prolonged diarrhea is caused by bacteria that are dangerous to the child. Diarrhea for more than two weeks is considered to be permanent and especially dangerous. Pregnant women need to be examined and identify the cause. Chronic diarrhea lasts more than a month. In this case, not bacteria are usually to blame, but bowel diseases, such as lazy bowel syndrome, inflammation, colitis.
Diet and prevention
Diarrhea during pregnancy - a reason to ask for medical care
Usually with diarrhea, it is recommended not to eat at all, but only to drink. However, for a pregnant woman, fasting may not be good. You can eat low-fat broths. They are nutritious and at the same time compensate for the lack of fluid in the body. When the first symptoms subside, crackers can be put in the broth. Fresh porridges are also helpful. Especially oatmeal and rice. They normalize the bowels, rice strengthens and helps to stop loose stools. Sometimes it is even recommended to drink rice water for diarrhea. It envelops the walls of the stomach, contributes to the removal of inflammation.
With diarrhea, you should limit the consumption of meat, dairy products, fresh fruits and vegetables, as well as everything that enhances the processes of fermentation and gas formation. Fatty, fried, salty and spicy foods are harmful to pregnant women. Even if there is no diarrhea, all of the above can provoke it. A sharp spices and does cause a reduction in the muscles of the uterus. Pregnant women who have already experienced the hassles of diarrhea, continue to try to avoid this phenomenon. To do this, follow a few simple rules:
- Wash hands as often as possible: after visiting the street, public transport, toilet, before eating and preparing food.
- Take vitamins for pregnant women, recommended by a doctor. They will strengthen the body and normalize the work of internal organs.
- Eat right. There is only need for fresh, natural products, forget about chips, fast food, spicy sauces, fatty meats, soda, alcohol.
- Refuse to visit restaurants and cafes. Even a favorite cafe can let you down, because you cannot know how clean the kitchen is and whether sanitary standards are observed. Try to cook at home from fresh produce and not to buy pies and shawarma on the street in dubious stalls.
It is impossible for a pregnant woman to drink carbonated drinks, powdered juices, coffee. These drinks should be excluded even if there is no diarrhea.
Safety rules will help avoid digestive disorders, which can lead to very unpleasant consequences for mother and child.
What to do with diarrhea? Do not panic teach video:
Noticed a mistake? Select it and click Ctrl + Enterto let us know.
Causes of diarrhea during pregnancy
Diarrhea - frequent emptying of the intestines, more than 2 times a day, accompanied by discomfort, cramps in the abdomen. Fecal mass watery. Diarrhea can proceed painlessly, but usually with an upset stomach, the patient feels nauseous, retching, weakness, feeling unwell, high fever.
Causes of loose stools in pregnant women:
- In the early stages of most women is accompanied by toxicosis. When toxicosis occurs a violation of the digestive process, hormones change. In the morning there is nausea, heartburn, vomiting, and loose stools. The first days a woman may observe an aversion to normal food, vegetables and fruits predominate in the diet. Future mommy pulls on certain products. All this provokes upset stomach, the appearance of diarrhea. If she feels well, diarrhea is not constant, her stomach does not pull, there is no pain and spasms, then the symptom does not require special treatment. It is enough to revise the menu, add products that strengthen the chair, exclude food that can cause diarrhea.
- If a woman does not yet know about pregnancy, then diarrhea before the delay of the menstrual cycle is the first sign after conception.
- Medications and vitamins for pregnant women. The body during childbirth needs a constant replenishment of vitamins and microelements. They are important for the normal development of the fetus and the favorable course of pregnancy. Doctors after blood tests prescribe vitamin remedies. On the shelves of pharmaceutical windows a large assortment of vitamins for pregnant women. They have side effects, individual intolerance can occur. If a woman gets sick after taking vitamins, she feels heartburn, black liquid stools appear, it is recommended to change the drug.
- Hormones. In the first weeks of pregnancy, a woman feels a change in the body. There is a preparation for carrying a fetus, childbirth. Hormonal background is changing. In late periods, prostaglandin is excreted in large quantities, the body can begin to self-purify before childbirth using diarrhea. If frequent loose stools with abdominal cramps, progressive cramping pains, appear in the first or second trimester, this can be a warning sign, threatening miscarriage, premature birth.
- Third trimester In the last periods the abdomen increases in size. The growing fetus puts pressure on the organs of the abdomen. Increases the load on the gastrointestinal tract. Organs are compressed, displaced, ducts are pinched. If a woman before pregnancy suffered from stomach problems (gastritis, ulcerative colitis, cholecystitis, pancreatitis, gallstones), by the end of pregnancy they become aggravated. Therefore, diarrhea appears, the color of feces changes, undigested food is released.
- Diarrhea in the 38th week of pregnancy is a frequent occurrence. The body is preparing for childbirth, cleaned. Symptom may occur at week 37. This is not a disease.
- Pathogens. Immunity in pregnant women is weakened, it is necessary for carrying the fetus. The body is at risk of infection by pathogenic bacteria.
- Intestinal infection, parasites, viruses disrupt the stomach, liquid stool appears. The color of the feces may be green. Symptom is accompanied by cutting in the abdomen, temperature, vomiting. Poor condition is dangerous for women and children. You can not allow dehydration, it can lead to malformations in development, miscarriage is possible. Requires medical intervention, hospital treatment under the supervision of medical professionals.
- Food poisoning. Poor food, spoiled food - the cause of diarrhea, nausea, vomiting. The body is poisoned by toxins that get into it with food, the stomach turns a lot. It is important to quickly clear the stomach, to prevent harmful compounds from entering the blood. To do this, use drugs that have a sorbing effect (activated carbon, Enterosgel, Polysorb, Smekta).
- Emotional disorders. A pregnant woman is characterized by increased nervousness, a constant feeling of anxiety, feelings. Negative emotions, frequent stress can be causes of psychogenic diarrhea. Doctors may be prescribed sedatives, psycholeptics, allowed during pregnancy.
At the beginning of the term should be attentive to health. Successful during the gestation period is a guarantee of normal fetal development.
Symptoms of diarrhea
Depending on the severity of diarrhea, they talk about the possible harm to health, complications. If diarrhea has arisen due to malnutrition, then the symptom proceeds painlessly, passes quickly without any special treatment. An infectious stomach disorder requires careful attention, prompt treatment. Chronic diarrhea, lasting a month, indicates a serious violation of the digestive tract.
Diarrhea during pregnancy is marked by symptoms:
- Loose stools,
- Twists belly
- Watery fecal masses,
- Lack of appetite,
- Abdominal discomfort after eating in the form of heartburn, nausea,
- Spasms, pain in the stomach,
- Aching, sharp, prolonged abdominal pain,
- Drowsiness, apathy,
- There is an increase in body temperature
- A sign of dizziness, darkening of the eyes when changing the position of the body.
With diarrhea, a woman should look after her well-being. When the condition worsens, if he pulls up, his stomach hurts, he gets liquid stool with water, the baby behaves restlessly in the stomach (calmed down) - immediately contact an ambulance. Self-medication during pregnancy is fraught with consequences for the health of the future mother and child. Before using drugs to eliminate unpleasant symptoms, consult your doctor.
How diarrhea can harm a pregnant woman
Severe diarrhea is dangerous for the body of a woman and a child by dehydration. In addition, diarrhea during pregnancy:
- May pose a miscarriage threat. Severe cramps increase the tone of the stomach and uterus. Depending on the duration of pregnancy, this can cause placental abruption, fetal death, premature birth.
- If the diarrhea is infectious in nature, then the penetration of pathogenic organisms through the placenta in the first trimester of pregnancy threatens fetal malformations, intrauterine growth retardation, hypoxia.
- At week 30, abdominal pains provoke contractions, the uterus is in good shape, false contractions occur. Tonus is dangerous premature birth, miscarriage.
- High temperature during diarrhea in the future mom has a negative effect on the child.
- Uncontrolled prolonged liquid stool threatens to dehydrate the body, an imbalance of nutrients, microelements, a violation of water-salt balance. This provokes vitamin deficiency, adversely affects the development and normal growth of the fetus.
- In case of poisoning, there is a high risk of toxic compounds entering the bloodstream of the child. Therefore, it is necessary to rinse the stomach as soon as possible and be under the supervision of doctors to exclude fetal pathologies and complications.
If a woman notes in her thirst, dry skin, weakness, fainting, decrease in urination, immediately call an ambulance. These symptoms may indicate dehydration.
How to treat diarrhea
If diarrhea does not stop, you need to establish the cause and choose a treatment. Only a doctor has the right to prescribe a medicine.
Drug therapy for pregnant women should be under the supervision of a physician. Many drugs are contraindicated due to pregnancy, especially in the first weeks. If possible, the treatment is carried out by assigning a diet menu, applied folk methods. By traditional medicine should be treated no less seriously. Healing herbs are not all suitable for pregnant women. Since 35, 36 weeks of pregnancy, some medicinal plants can cause labor and premature labor.
Antibiotics are prescribed, as a last resort, if the disease without serious treatment will cause more harm to the mother, the child. The method of treatment is determined by the doctor. During the recovery period, the body must be constantly monitored by a gynecologist.
Depending on how long the woman has, the optimal treatment is selected.
During pregnancy, a woman is recommended to observe the correct diet, choose high-quality products, eliminate junk food.
Medications for diarrhea during pregnancy
Adsorb drugs will help remove toxic compounds from the body. During pregnancy, Enterosgel, Polyphepanum, Activated carbon (white coal in purified form) are allowed. Sorbents are not recommended to be used simultaneously with other medicines. You must comply with the time interval.
If there is a risk of dehydration, you can take rehydration solutions: Regidron, Trisol. They restore the water-salt balance, promote fluid retention from the body.
To relieve stomach cramps apply papaverine, no-shpu. As a sedative - valerian, motherwort. Reception of these funds only with the permission of the doctor.
To restore the microflora of the stomach prescribed probiotics - Lineks-Forte, Bifidumbakterin, Biogaya.
In the third trimester of pregnancy, the doctor may prescribe Imodium for diarrhea, Enterobene, Loperamide.
Intestinal infections in pregnant women are allowed to be treated with an antimicrobial drug - nifuroksazid. If necessary, other pills may be prescribed at the discretion of the physician.
Remember! If diarrhea is caused by intestinal infections, food poisoning should not prevent the patient from stool, drink astringent drugs. The body must be cleaned from pathogens, toxins.
Traditional methods of treatment
Traditional methods are safe for the treatment of diarrhea during pregnancy. But you should be careful about the choice of herbs, decoctions, tinctures.
- Starch. You can make jelly with the addition of a tablespoon of starch or potato broth. For broth, take three medium potatoes, peel, boil. Cool the broth. Take 200 ml in the morning, afternoon, evening. Starch strengthens stools, helps stop diarrhea, normalizes digestion, has a beneficial effect on the stomach.
- Garnet. Pomegranate rind copes with diarrhea symptoms. Chop dry rind, pour boiling water over a glass, put on fire. Do 20 minutes. Cool, filter. To get rid of diarrhea, you need to drink a tablespoon of decoction before eating.
- Rice porrige. Rice has an astringent effect. Cook rice porridge on water for breakfast. Eat for 3-5 days. After the symptom must pass.
- If stress is the cause of diarrhea, then it is recommended to drink herbal tea with peppermint leaves. Medicinal plants can quite cope with anxieties.
- Ginger tea. Ginger root is recommended for women to strengthen the immune system, improve the processes of digestion. Ginger tea copes with a feeling of nausea, vomiting, diarrhea.
On a note. At week 39 or 40 (last month), diarrhea is a physiological process, an early precursor of childbirth. This is a natural phenomenon, the body cleansing before childbirth, the stomach should not hurt. In the first weeks of pregnancy, the cause is most often toxicosis.
Be careful when treating diarrhea during pregnancy. Consider the term, individual intolerance to food additives, medicines. Strictly observe the doctor's prescription, the dosage of the drug. Watch for changes in the body during therapy with medicines, folk remedies.
It is recommended to eat foods that strengthen the stool. If food becomes the cause of loose stools, adjust the menu. Pregnant women are advised to eat various foods to replenish the body with vitamins and trace elements.
As a prevention of indigestion, it is advised to observe personal hygiene, eliminate problems with the stomach before planning a child, and avoid contact with sick people during pregnancy. An active lifestyle, proper nutrition, walking in the fresh air will help make pregnancy a pleasant period in your life.
Causes of diarrhea in pregnant women
Women who plan to conceive a child begin to closely monitor any changes in their body. When intestinal disorders appear without apparent, at first glance, cause, they often have a question, can diarrhea be an early sign of pregnancy? As you know, most often one of the first signs of fertilization of an egg is toxicosis. This is a serious condition, which is caused by hormonal changes, the appearance of fetal genes that are foreign to the body of a woman, and other factors. When toxicosis in women is usually observed:
- decrease or loss of appetite
Important: The reason for loosening stools in pregnant women is also associated with a change in the nature of food and drinking regime, the transition to healthy food, an increase in the amount of vitamins rich in vegetables and fruits in the diet.
Other causes of diarrhea in a pregnant woman include:
- infectious diseases caused by pathogens of the intestinal infection (bacteria or viruses),
- nervous system disorders, stress and anxiety,
- side effects when taking medication for pregnant women (vitamins),
- individual body reaction to certain foods
- food poisoning,
- diseases of the digestive tract,
- intestinal parasites.
Diarrhea during second trimester pregnancy may occur in some women from 17 to 23 weeks. This is due to the peculiarities of the mutual arrangement of the uterus and intestines during this period. The enlarged uterus reaches the level of the navel and begins to put pressure on the surrounding organs, which provokes diarrhea. Although in most cases, the pressure of the uterus on the intestines leads to constipation, and not to diarrhea.
Late diarrhea in pregnancy, caused by the preparation of a woman’s body for childbirth, is caused by an increase in the production of prostaglandins E2 and F2α. These hormone-like substances affect the tone of smooth muscles, cause uterine contraction, which is necessary for the onset of labor, and in parallel increase intestinal motility. As a result, depending on the individual characteristics of the woman, a couple of weeks or days before delivery, she begins to have diarrhea. Also, the appearance of liquid stool in the later stages is due to the fact that the head of the fetus sinks into the small pelvis and exerts pressure on the rectum. The appearance of diarrhea before birth does not pose any danger, it is just a way to clean the intestines to facilitate the process of having a baby.
Treatment of diarrhea during pregnancy
Before the treatment of diarrhea that has arisen in a woman when carrying a child, it is first necessary to establish what could have caused this condition. You may need to see a doctor, be examined and pass tests. Depending on how long the woman is and what the cause of diarrhea during pregnancy determines what to do in each case. Prevention of dehydration and diet are the main methods of treatment of diarrhea in pregnant women, if the bowel dysfunction is not associated with any serious diseases.
In most cases, diarrhea in pregnant women do not represent a danger to the health of the mother and fetus, and their duration does not exceed one week. This time is necessary for the woman's body to restructure and adapt to new conditions. Adjust the temporarily impaired bowel, as a rule, is always possible with a special diet, the purpose of which is to reduce the nutritional load on the digestive tract.
If diarrhea occurs during pregnancy in the early stages, as well as in a later period, the following products are recommended:
- white bread crackers
- low-fat meat and fish broths,
- fish and meat steam patties,
- porridges boiled in water (rice, oatmeal),
- applesauce, boiled or baked pears,
- dried blueberry jelly,
- rice water
- hard-boiled eggs,
- kefir and yoghurt containing bacteria useful for the bowels,
- vegetable soups,
- boiled vegetables that do not contribute to the formation of gases in the intestines.
When diarrhea, a pregnant woman is recommended to eat small portions every three hours, the food consumed should be liquid or mushy consistency, not cold and not hot. In the absence of appetite, it is not allowed to eat food at all for more than one day, since the body must always receive the nutrients necessary for the growth and normal development of the fetus.
Important: When diarrhea it is forbidden to eat fatty, fried and spicy foods, fresh fruit, convenience foods, whole milk, canned food, pickles, sweets, juices and carbonated drinks.
If the cause of diarrhea during pregnancy, become infectious diseases or pathologies of the digestive system, to stop diarrhea medication is necessary. Reception of any drugs during pregnancy should be carried out only on prescription from the physician, taking into account all possible risks to the fetus and benefits to the mother.
Depending on the cause of the bowel disorder, the following medications can be used:
- enterosorbents (Enterosgel, activated carbon, Enterodez, Smekta),
- preparations containing enzymes (Pancreatin, Mezim, Pangrol, Creon, etc.),
- preparations for the restoration of water and electrolyte balance (Regidron, Laktosol, Trisol, etc.),
- antispasmodics (No-shpa, papaverine),
- means of stopping diarrhea (Imodium, Loperamide),
- probiotics (Linex, Bifidumbacterin).
Important: If diarrhea during pregnancy is accompanied by hyperthermia, severe abdominal pain, weakness and headaches, vomiting, the release of impurities of mucus or blood with feces, you should immediately call an ambulance. Self-treatment and late treatment in this case is fraught with very serious consequences.
Causes of Diarrhea
The body of a woman in the period of childbearing is especially vulnerable due to reduced immunity, therefore, diarrhea and pregnancy are often combined. The provoking factors are:
- Food toxins. Although future mothers carefully monitor their diet, trying to use only fresh and healthy products, it is impossible to completely exclude the possibility of poisoning.
- Viral infections. Pathogens are another possible cause of diarrhea.
- Reception of vitamins. Many pregnant women use drugs that compensate for the deficiency of minerals and trace elements. If the vitamin complex is not suitable for a woman due to the individual characteristics of the body, side reactions in the form of nausea and changes in stool occur. Having noticed the connection of intestinal disorders with taking pills, the drug should be replaced.
- Change in diet. Diarrhea in early pregnancy can be a consequence of toxemia and change in food addiction. Excessive use of foods that irritate the intestines, provokes loose stools. In the absence of other symptoms and good health, it is enough to correct the menu to normalize the condition.
- Worm invasions. Ingestion of parasites can also be accompanied by diarrhea. It is caused by the waste products of worms that irritate the intestines.
- Emotional instability. The nervous system of a pregnant woman is more vulnerable, so strong emotions (fear, anxiety, etc.) can affect the work of the digestive tract and cause diarrhea of psychogenic etiology.
- Physiological changes. Diarrhea during pregnancy in the second trimester and later is associated with active growth of the fetus. The growing uterus hampers other organs, which affects the work of the digestive tract, and sometimes interferes with the normal functioning of the gallbladder and liver. Most often this occurs in women who previously had problems with the gastrointestinal tract.
Another cause of intestinal disorders - the preparation of the body for childbirth. Diarrhea in late pregnancy, occurring on the eve of the expected birth of the child into the world, is not dangerous, if not accompanied by other symptoms and deterioration of health. Thus, the body self-cleans and trains before the upcoming load.
Symptoms of intestinal disorders
Recognizing diarrhea is easy. Its main feature is loose stools that occur more than three times a day. Diarrhea is not a separate disease, but only a symptom of another pathology or a consequence of external and internal factors.
In addition to frequent bowel movements, there may be:
- fever, chills,
- nausea and vomiting,
- pain in the stomach and intestines,
The severity of the problem can be determined by the appearance of feces and general well-being.
A small indigestion that lasts 1-2 days and does not cause much discomfort is not a reason for panic. But if the stool is black with traces of mucus and blood, or diarrhea in a pregnant woman does not go away for a long time and is accompanied by vomiting, fever and a sharp deterioration in well-being, you should seek medical help.
Such manifestations indicate intoxication of the body, and the presence of blood in the stools can be a sign of internal bleeding. In such a situation, immediate hospitalization is required.
The risk of diarrhea for a pregnant woman and a child depends on the duration of the disorder and the reason for it. Prolonged loose stools, especially when combined with vomiting, lead to the loss of beneficial trace elements and dehydration.This affects the functioning of the internal organs of women and impairs the access of nutrients and oxygen to the child.
Long-term intoxication with diarrhea caused by a virus or pathogenic microorganisms also poses a threat to the baby. Bacteria and toxins through the bloodstream penetrate from mother to child, affecting its development.
Early pregnancy diarrhea is especially dangerous. During this period, all the organs of the child are laid and the imbalance that occurs in a serious intestinal disorder in the mother can cause disruptions in the process. The result is missed abortion, delayed development of the embryo and the emergence of various congenital abnormalities.
In addition, active intestinal peristalsis causes uterine contraction and can cause miscarriage or partial detachment of the ovum. Persistent diarrhea during pregnancy in the third trimester increases the risk of premature delivery.
The life of a woman's intestinal disorder is usually not threatened if there is no admixture of blood in the composition of feces. But in other cases, you need to take measures to normalize the condition and treat diarrhea as soon as possible.
How to treat?
Many drugs are contraindicated to expectant mothers, therefore, if the situation is uncritical, they try to limit the treatment with folk remedies and nutrition correction.
Even before using natural decoctions of herbs you need to consult a doctor, because some plants are dangerous for pregnant women.
If there are signs of infection, antibiotics may be required. But do not choose their own medicines. The specialist will select the most harmless for the future child's therapy.
Of great importance is drinking mode. The condition is normalized faster if you drink enough purified, non-carbonated water or unsweetened tea.
Diarrhea drugs allowed for pregnant women
What can be pregnant with diarrhea from medication? Ideally, the doctor should select the treatment, but when for some reason it is not possible to contact him, and the diarrhea is strong, an independent intake of absorbents is allowed. These are substances that absorb toxins from the intestines.
Among the drugs allowed by pregnant women are:
Also during childbirth, you can take "Nifuroksazid" - intestinal antiseptic, effective against most pathogens. Its reception is indicated for viral and bacterial intestinal disorders.
Food for diarrhea
If the symptoms are mild and the condition does not cause concern, nausea and diarrhea during pregnancy are markedly reduced or completely disappear with the adjustment of nutrition.
In the case of a serious illness or infection, a sparing menu is not enough. Proper diet during this period gives the intestine an opportunity to restore normal work.
On the first day, it is advisable to limit yourself to a copious drink. It is recommended to use:
Useful rice water, gently enveloping the stomach wall and helps to normalize the chair. To make it, pour half a liter of water into a saucepan and add 1 tsp. rice. The mixture is boiled for 40 minutes on low heat, then the broth is filtered and drunk every 3 hours for about a quarter cup.
If you still want to eat, you can eat dried white bread and galetny cookies.
On the second day fresh porridge without salt and sugar is introduced into the diet, preferably rice or oatmeal.
In the future, they return to the usual menu, excluding prohibited foods, such as:
- all fatty, spicy and too salty foods,
- carbonated drinks, coffee,
- fresh fruits and vegetables
- fatty and tough meat.
Treatment of diarrhea during pregnancy by national methods is quite safe if the doctor approves them. For non-infectious intestinal disorders, you can use these tools:
- Starch with water. Starch (1 tsp) is dissolved in half a cup of boiled water (not hot). The mixture is drunk at one time.
- Walnut leaves. 1 tbsp. l leaves are placed in a bowl of suitable size and pour two glasses of water. The broth is boiled for 30 minutes, then removed from the heat and insist for half an hour. Strain, the tool take 1 tbsp. l 3 times a day.
- Blueberry jelly. To prepare a drink on a 2.5 liter of water put 200 grams. berries and sugar to taste. Bilberries are cooked for 15 minutes, then stirring continuously, add 4 tbsp. l starch. Three minutes later, the jelly is removed from the heat and cooled. It is drunk in small portions throughout the day.
- Pomegranate peel. 1 tbsp. l 200 ml of boiling water is poured over the skins of the fruit. After giving the agent to brew for half an hour, it is consumed in 1 tbsp. l three times a day.
- Blackberry leaves. 10 g of dried leaves pour 0.5 liters of boiling water. The broth is cooked for 20 minutes on low heat. Cool and strain, they drink it 3 times a day and 1 tbsp. l
If you suspect that diarrhea has resulted from emotional stress and stress, you should add natural sedatives. Pregnant in this situation is allowed decoction of mint or motherwort.
Preventing diarrhea during pregnancy
To diarrhea during pregnancy did not catch you by surprise, it is better to pay attention to preventive measures.
Preventing intestinal upset will allow compliance with a few simple rules:
- Do not forget to wash your hands before eating.
- Thoroughly wash the vegetables, fruits and greens.
- Check the shelf life of products before use.
- Keep all perishable food in the fridge and do not eat foods that look or smell suspiciously.
- Try to eat at home, and not in catering establishments.
- Discard heavy and irritating bowel food.
- Avoid stressful situations.
Diarrhea - a serious test for the future mother. In order not to endanger yourself and your baby, you need to control the diet and consult a doctor if you have signs of intestinal upset.
Author: Yana Semich,
specifically for Mama66.ru
Is diarrhea normal during pregnancy?
Often, diarrhea occurs in the first trimester of pregnancy (You will find a lot of useful information in the article First Trimester of Pregnancy >>>). The reason is the hormonal restructuring of the body, which affects all organs and organ systems of the woman. During pregnancy, you can begin to react in a new way even to familiar foods and face diarrhea.
Diarrhea usually begins immediately after you eat something. Sometimes it comes to the fear of leaving your home and eating something outside of its limits. And even at home constant shoots in the toilet do not cause much joy.
The most common causes of diarrhea during pregnancy:
- Failure to follow a diet
- Eating not quite fresh or low-quality products,
- Taking medication, a side effect of which is loose stools during pregnancy,
- Irritable bowel,
- Infection with intestinal infection or virus
- Exacerbation of gastric or other chronic disease.
Attention! Whatever the cause of diarrhea, this condition must be fought. Diarrhea is not the norm even during pregnancy.
What is dangerous diarrhea during pregnancy?
- Persistent diarrhea threatens even dehydration of a healthy person. During diarrhea in early pregnancy, not only harmful substances are removed from the mother’s body, but also vital mineral salts. Too much of their loss leads to the fact that all internal organs begin to work incorrectly, and this damages the health of the fetus,
- Diarrhea is accompanied by intoxication of the whole body, so the toxins that accumulate in the body, can also harm the health of the child.
- During diarrhea, the intestine is in a state of constant increased activity. The uterus is located near the intestines, so there is a risk that the tone will go to the uterus. Increased uterine tone can lead to rejection of the fetus. Read more about it: Uterus tone during pregnancy >>>,
- Diarrhea in the second trimester of pregnancy, as well as in its third trimester, is dangerous because your body is already overloaded, the fetus is already quite heavy and puts pressure on the internal organs, including the stomach and intestines. This causes numerous constipation and diarrhea,
- Diarrhea in the third trimester, which is accompanied by acute abdominal pain, may indicate that it is time to go to the maternity hospital. Usually, doctors react very calmly to diarrhea during childbirth, so there is nothing to fear.
Attention! It is possible to determine that diarrhea is caused by infection by such signs as high body temperature, nausea, vomiting, and general weakness.
How to give yourself first aid during diarrhea during pregnancy?
If you notice more than 2 of the following symptoms behind you, immediately proceed to the treatment of loose stools:
- You constantly feel thirsty, dry in the mouth,
- Feeling of dryness on the skin and mucous membranes of the whole body. The skin can dry out so that it starts to peel off,
- A feeling of general weakness, constant fatigue, a desire to go to sleep, tinnitus,
- There are shadows and dark circles around the eyes, although it seems to you that you are getting enough sleep,
- Often you want to go to the toilet in a big way, but in a small way, you walk quite rarely. But even if such trips happen, the urine is released a little and it is dark in color.
Diarrhea - an extremely unpleasant phenomenon, and sometimes even terrible. If this happens to you for the first time, it will not be surprising if you start to panic.
But you shouldn’t do this, there are methods and means that can help stop diarrhea at least for a while and calmly reach the doctor’s reception:
- Quickly pull yourself together and calm down, because being in a state of nervous tension can only increase diarrhea,
- Increase the amount of fluid you drink to avoid dehydration. Ideal chamomile tea and decoction of Hypericum,
- With severe diarrhea, Smecta powder or several tablets of activated carbon can be taken. These drugs do not bring any harm, but help to remove toxins from the body.
Other medications are not recommended. If there is a need to take any other drug, then you need to carefully study the instructions for its use, and if it says that it can not be used by pregnant women, then its reception will have to be abandoned.
Diet for diarrhea during pregnancy
It is not necessary to follow this diet all the time throughout pregnancy, as the baby needs nutrients. It is necessary to return to it from time to time and observe no more than one day.
- It is necessary to exclude from the diet any dairy products, except natural yogurt, as well as fried, salted, smoked and pickled,
- For breakfast, it is advisable to eat light porridge cooked on the water. Good oatmeal. After her, it is desirable to drink strong black tea with breadcrumbs or bread,
- Do not need to eat dried fruit,
- It is extremely helpful to drink herbal teas and infusions,
- Use steamed, boiled, steamed any vegetables, just make sure that they do not have coarse particles,
- Light soups and steam cakes should be your good friends for a long time.
Attention! Throughout the pregnancy, you should try to follow every day diet items numbered 2 and 5.
Nutritional issues during pregnancy are discussed in detail in the Secrets of Proper Nutrition for the Expectant Mother >>>
Diarrhea as a sign of pregnancy
It is impossible to say for one hundred percent that diarrhea is a sign of pregnancy, even if your stool is distinguished by enviable regularity and good condition. Diarrhea can be considered an indirect sign of pregnancy, which can act as a reaction to reduced immunity (immunity is reduced in all pregnant women). If you are interested in the question of how pregnancy manifests itself in the early stages, read the article The first signs of pregnancy >>>
In case of toxicosis in early pregnancy, nausea and vomiting are added to the liquid stool (For this topic, see the current article Nausea during pregnancy >>>). However, with toxicosis, these signs and conditions occur suddenly, irregularly, without affecting the health of the expectant mother. As a rule, it also makes women think about a possible pregnancy.
But in those cases when chills, increased body temperature, and general poor condition are added to the loose stools, nausea and vomiting, then we are talking about the breakdown of the digestive system. It makes no sense to expect that this is a temporary phenomenon, and that everything will pass by itself, you should immediately consult a doctor, as the situation may go too far.
Attention! In order to clearly know whether you are pregnant or not, use a pregnancy test.
Diarrhea during pregnancy is not the norm, but rather gives you a signal that you need to reconsider your attitude to nutrition and pay more attention to the general strengthening of the body.
Is diarrhea dangerous during pregnancy?
You should not do this also because diarrhea during pregnancy carries a certain danger to the unborn child and his mother. Mainly, it is dehydration, which occurs with severe diarrhea. This should never be allowed, because with an intense loss of fluid, your body also loses mineral salts. Disruption of water-salt balance leads to a breakdown in the work of vital organs and systems, both in the mother and in the child. In severe cases, dehydration due to diarrhea during pregnancy can lead to the development of malformations in the fetus and even to its intrauterine death.
In general, good nutrition of cells and tissues is now extremely necessary for both of your organisms. Therefore, it is necessary not only to prevent the loss of fluid, but also to constantly replenish its reserves.
Prolonged severe diarrhea during pregnancy is accompanied by severe intoxication of the entire maternal organism. And naturally, toxic substances get to the fetus, disrupting its normal development and growth.
If the intestine is in an excessively active state for a long period (which is observed in diarrhea), then the uterus may be involved in the process of reflexes: its muscle tissue is toned, and there is a risk of fetal rejection.
Diarrhea in pregnant women: the main causes
Diarrhea or diarrhea in popular speech is a rapid stool with a high water content (90% or more), characterized by sudden urges and difficulty controlling bowel movements. Diarrhea can be painless, but more often it is accompanied by cramps and cramps in the stomach, general poor health: nausea, vomiting, weakness, fever.
Most expectant mothers with special care monitor their diet: carefully choose the products for cooking, avoid the "hazards", comply with the correct diet. But even such measures do not always allow you to protect yourself from intestinal upset. The body of a pregnant woman is weakened, immunity is reduced (so it is necessary to preserve the fetus) and is not able to withstand numerous microbes.
In addition, the physiological features of the "pregnant" body themselves are the cause of various dyspeptic manifestations: bloating, nausea, heartburn, and stool disorders, both in the direction of fixation and relaxation.
- In the early stages (up to 12 weeks), liquid frequent stools may be one of the manifestations of toxicosis. At this time, the woman's entire digestive process is disturbed: the perception of tastes and smells is changing, many of the usual foods are being abandoned and abused by others; All these factors separately and collectively provoke frequent relaxed stools.If such diarrhea does not cause much discomfort (there are no pains and spasms, the amount of feces is not increased, there are no extraneous inclusions), there is no need to treat it, it is enough to correct the diet.
- During pregnancy, a woman's body needs higher doses of vitamins and trace elements. Therefore, with the beginning of gestation, future mothers begin to take special vitamin preparations, many of which have side effects in the form of nausea and stool disorders. If diarrhea began after drinking “vitamins”, you should choose a more suitable complex. With diarrhea, the intestine may also respond to taking certain medications prescribed by a pregnant gynecologist and other specialists in connection with the existing extragenital pathologies.
- Diarrhea can be caused by hormonal causes. Thus, the increased production of prostaglandins in the late stages of pregnancy indicates the preparation of the body for the birth process: the intestine must be cleansed before the birth. Diarrhea is often a precursor to the appearance of contractions. However, it is worth guarding if diarrhea with cramps in the abdomen occurs earlier in time - this can signal a threatening miscarriage or preterm labor.
- With an increase in the abdomen in pregnant women, the load on the gastrointestinal tract increases significantly. The growing uterus can squeeze and displace organs, pinch the ducts, hence the gestational jaundice, cholecystitis and other troubles that can be expressed, including, in frequent diarrhea. It is necessary to pay attention to the color of the stool (with such diseases it will be light, yellow), the presence of undigested fat, food pieces. If a woman had problems with gastroenterology before pregnancy, they would worsen with the increase in her life.
- We can not exclude the ingestion of female pathogens. This intestinal infections and viruses, and parasites. Diarrhea caused by such factors can be very difficult: with fever, cutting and cramping abdominal pain, nausea and vomiting, signs of intoxication and dehydration. This condition is quite dangerous for the most pregnant and fetus. A similar effect on digestion has poisoning by toxins that have entered the stomach with spoiled food.
- Future mothers are characterized by increased nervous instability, so diarrhea of psychogenic etiology is not uncommon.
Treatment of diarrhea in pregnant women
Treatment of diarrhea during pregnancy is complicated by the fact that most drugs for expectant mothers are contraindicated, especially in the early stages. This greatly limits the physician’s freedom to choose treatment methods. If possible, diarrhea is eliminated by following a diet and safe folk remedies. Every woman should remember that many harmless "weeds" during pregnancy can harm the unborn baby and even jeopardize the carrying. Before applying a particular prescription, it is best to consult with your doctor.
In cases where the condition of the patient inspires fear, and not to do without pills (for example, antibiotics), the doctor may decide on the appointment of drug therapy, despite the potential risk to the fetus. Naturally, no medication can be taken on your own, even if a woman before pregnancy constantly “saved” them from indigestion.
What can pregnant women with diarrhea? Disease diet
The diet is shown to all expectant mothers, but for disorders of the gastrointestinal tract it should be especially strict. The purpose of special nutrition for diarrhea is to “unload” the digestive organs, create the correct regimen (frequent and fractional), eliminate foods with a laxative effect. A pregnant woman should not go hungry, nutrients should be supplied to the body in a timely manner and in sufficient quantities, so strict restrictions are allowed only on the first day of the diet.
Spicy, smoked, fried foods should be eliminated completely, not with diarrhea and milk. It is necessary to minimize the consumption of fatty, sweet, sour and salty.
On the first day it is recommended to drink plenty of liquids, which will “flush” the gastrointestinal tract and replenish the body fluids. Strong tea is suitable for this, but it is better to cook rice water: for 1 tsp. rice, half a liter of water, boil for 40 minutes and decant the resulting kissel. Broth to take every 2-3 hours for half a glass. On the "snack" - crackers made of white bread.
On the second day, you can eat mucous porridge on the water (rice, oatmeal), without adding salt and sugar. Drink - juice, tea, water without gas. Dietary bread and dried wheat slices are allowed. It is better to give up vegetables and fruits, but if you really want, you can grate a carrot with an apple (without the peel) and add a spoonful of vegetable oil. You can drink a light chicken or vegetable broth. Be sure to need fresh kefir, yogurt, ryazhenka, containing "live" lactic acid bacteria, which will help the intestine to restore its work.
On the third day, add soft boiled or steamed vegetables (without coarse particles), steam cutlet, and light soup to the porridge. All food should be at a comfortable temperature - not hot or cold, so as not to irritate the digestive organs.
Such a diet should be observed at least a week. As a drink, kissel, compote (only not from dried fruit), herbal teas (chamomile, mint) are recommended.
What are some cures for diarrhea for pregnant women?
If you are pregnant, you should not drink any medications if they are not prescribed by a doctor. As an exception, you can take only an adsorbing agent, for example, Eneterosgel, Polyphepan, Enterodez, and ordinary activated carbon will suit, which, by the way, is now sold in purified form under the name "White Coal". Sorbents should not be consumed simultaneously with vitamins and other drugs - at least 2 hours should pass between the intake of coal and other pills.
In case of severe diarrhea and abundant vomiting, Trisol, Tar, Regidron saline solutions are recommended, which will maintain the body's water and electrolyte balance and prevent dehydration.
All other medications during pregnancy - only in consultation with the doctor. This also applies to antispasmodics (No-shpa, papaverine suppositories), relieving pain from excess intestinal peristalsis, and sedatives (valerian, motherwort), if diarrhea is caused by increased nervousness of the future mom.
After the 30th week, the prescription of loperamide-based antidiarrheal pills is acceptable - these are Loperamide, Imodium, Diara, Lopedium, Entrobene. These capsules help to quickly stop diarrhea and avoid large losses of fluid and nutrients from the intestines. Do not use such tools if liquid stools are caused by pathogenic microorganisms (in case of dysentery, salmonellosis, shigellosis and other infections), so as not to impede the cleaning of the intestines from pathogens.
In intestinal infections, pregnant women are allowed to prescribe nifuroxazide, an antimicrobial drug that inhibits the activity of most diarrhea-causing pathogens. If necessary, the doctor may prescribe other antibiotics.
To restore the intestinal microflora after treatment, you may need a course of probiotics (Linex, Bifidumbakterin, Bifi-form, Baktisubtil, etc.). With a little diarrhea, it is enough to regularly drink fermented milk drinks marked “bio”.
Folk remedies for diarrhea during pregnancy
In acute diarrhea, the use of folk remedies is ineffective: the active substances in medicinal plants are in too small concentrations to quickly remove unpleasant symptoms. Herbal medicine and “grandmother's recipes” are justified when diarrhea is long and not associated with infection. Then regular intake of mucous drinks and herbal preparations based on “knitting” plants will help to strengthen the stool and normalize the work of the intestine.
Here are some home remedies that women can recommend during pregnancy to stop diarrhea:
- Starch water is prepared from 1 tsp. potato starch, stirred into a half-cup of cool boiled water. Means is drunk in one step.
- Take 3 times a day for 1 tbsp. l tincture of blackberry leaves.
- Cook blueberry kissel and drink a glass after breakfast, lunch and dinner.
- Drink tea from pomegranate infusion: steam a glass of boiling water 1 tbsp. chopped pomegranate peel and let stand for a day.
- If diarrhea is caused by neurogenic causes, it is recommended to drink tea with mint, motherwort broth.
Herbal pregnant women should be taken with caution, because they can cause allergies. Here are some compounds that are considered safe during gestation, if we exclude individual reactions:
- Hypericum and chamomile flowers, plantain leaves, oak bark, Icelandic moss, root of erect cinquefoil (1 part each).
- Veronica and strawberry leaves, water pepper grass, calamus root, white willow bark, marigold inflorescences.
- Thyme, common wormwood, falcon grass, bed-dead and alder cones.
Prevention of diarrhea in pregnant women
If a pregnant woman did not follow a diet before the disease, the occurrence of diarrhea should be a good reason to revise the diet. The future mother is responsible not only for herself, but also for her unborn child. Therefore, it is extremely important for her not to overstrain the organism, which is already experiencing a double load, with heavy, unhealthy food. But useful products should also be treated with caution: if there are problems with digestion, you cannot lean on raw vegetables and fruits, an excessive amount of fiber can provoke loose stools.
Particular attention should be paid to the prevention of poisoning and intestinal infections:
- buy only fresh products,
- eat freshly prepared food
- follow expiration dates
- wash vegetables and fruits thoroughly
- heat treat foods: boil well meat, fish, eggs, boil milk and water,
- during pregnancy it is better to abandon catering,
- avoid public places, especially during virus outbreaks,
- observe hygiene rules.