Often, if there is pain in the right side under the ribs, it is believed that this makes the liver know, and if the pain is lower, then appendicitis. In fact, the reasons for the occurrence of pain in the right side under the ribs can be many. Regarding each of them, we will talk in detail in this article.
Causes of pain in the right side
Usually, the cause of pain in the right side under the ribs is the presence of an inflammatory process in such organs as the liver, kidney, gall, appendicitis, stomach, and others. In more rare cases, problems can arise from the presence of pathologies in bones and joints, as well as in the case of injuries. The nature of pain can be of a different nature: from sharp, cutting, which is incredibly burning, to aching and dull, localized both in front and behind, above and below, under the ribs. The pain may even give to the shoulders, arms, hips and legs.
If you experience pain in the side under the ribs, you should immediately contact a specialist to establish an accurate diagnosis and assign the necessary treatment, as this symptom can be a signal for a number of diseases that require immediate intervention. Certainly, it is necessary to understand what the non-serious attitude to one’s own health and the health of one’s relatives and associates is capable of facing.
Below will be discussed in detail the main causes of pain during inhalation in the right side under the rib, which should be carefully reviewed.
When immediate medical attention is needed
There are diseases in which medical assistance is required immediately so as not to aggravate and not cause serious complications. These diseases include:
- Appendicitis, which manifests itself as a very sharp, burning pain in the lower right side. All of the above is also accompanied by the occurrence of nausea, vomiting. The patient has a fever. If you delay with a visit to a medical facility, the patient may well lose consciousness. If you or your loved ones have these symptoms, you should immediately call an ambulance and take no action before her arrival.
- Acute pancreatitis and cholecystitis, which is accompanied by encircling pain, and the pain syndrome is quite strong in nature, accompanied by nausea. With all this pain can give to the shoulder and neck. As a rule, the exacerbation of these diseases is due to malnutrition, namely the consumption of an uncontrollable amount of fatty foods.
- Renal colic, which may be caused by obstruction of the urinary canal. Because of this, a person feels a very sharp pain in the lower right abdomen, he also has a fever, accompanied by nausea, weakness, and general malaise.
- Diseases of the cardiovascular system - this may be a myocardial infarction or exacerbation of angina. As a rule, the above may begin with pain in the right side under the ribs. In addition, diseases of the cardiovascular system are accompanied by the occurrence of shortness of breath, uneven heart work, panic attacks, copious sweat.
- Ectopic pregnancy, which is accompanied by pain in the lower abdomen pulling nature. If appropriate measures are not taken on time, this can be fraught with rupture of the fallopian tubes and bleeding. Often, at the beginning of this pathology, everything goes as usual: there is a delay in menstruation, nausea, dizziness, however, as the ovum grows, other symptoms appear: pain, vomiting and bleeding.
Other causes of pain in the right side
In addition to the above diseases that require immediate visits to the doctor, there are many other diseases that are accompanied by this symptom, namely:
- Diseases of the gastrointestinal tract are also often accompanied by pain in the right side of the ribs. This is due to the fact that the mucous membranes of the stomach (gall, pancreas, liver, or intestines) are greatly inflamed. If it is gastritis or cholecystitis, then the pain is dull, aching in nature, which aggravates after eating. When pancreatitis pain is localized behind, causing nausea, vomiting, fever. If there are problems with the liver, then the patient feels dull pain under the right rib, also his appetite is significantly reduced, weakness is observed, and the yellowness of the skin and eyes appears. When anxious bowel pain usually occurs in the lower abdomen and is accompanied by general weakness, constipation, diarrhea.
- Pathologies of the respiratory system can also be accompanied by pain in the right side under the ribs, resulting from the occurrence of inflammatory processes in the lungs and bronchi. As a rule, pain increases during breathing, coughing. This may be accompanied by fever, headache and cough. It is recommended to visit a competent specialist, who will examine the disturbing place and draw certain conclusions.
- Diseases of the nervous system and spine, such as osteochondrosis, inflammation or pinching of the nerve, which is accompanied by a pounding or dull pain on the right side of the back. If there is a pinching of the nerve endings - this is accompanied by burning acute pain, which is intense.
- Diseases of the urinary system, such as pyelonephritis, other pathologies of the kidneys and urinary tract begin with the occurrence of severe pain in the side to the right from the back side closer to the bottom. In addition, patients observe fever, severe back pain, which can give to the genitals, general malaise, difficulty urinating, and may also change the color and amount of urine.
- Pregnancy can be accompanied by aching pains in the right side, even with its normal course. This is due to the fact that the uterus during growth begins to put pressure on neighboring organs, while the woman may experience heartburn, belching, nausea, and much more characteristic of this condition. You should be extremely careful here, because the responsibility for the future child will fall on the young mother.
- Injuries, like all other types of damage that can disrupt the internal organs, are accompanied by pain. If after an injury the pain does not go away, then you should immediately seek the help of a doctor.
According to the results of the article, it can be noted that the occurrence of pain in the right side under the rib can in no way be ignored, since the main part of the diseases accompanied by these symptoms is serious and requires mandatory medical intervention.
What changes occur in the hypochondrium in the act of breathing?
The diaphragm, which serves as the upper boundary of the hypochondrium, is an active participant in the act of breathing. It provides breathing movements with the chest. The goal is to create a negative pressure in the pleural cavity so that the lung tissue is stretched as much as possible and air is inhaled while inhaling.
The anatomical structures of the "sigh", in addition to the diaphragm, include external intercostal muscles. When reducing the ribs go up, the chest increases in volume, especially in the lower sections. This contributes to the additional reduction of the diaphragm. When inhaling, it flattens and falls towards the abdominal cavity.
At rest and during exhalation, the dome moves towards the chest. In people of different types of composition, it is possible to predominantly chest breathing (more typical for women, depends on the intercostal muscles work) or abdominal breathing, when the diaphragm is the main participant.
While moving, it simultaneously pulls the abdominal organs. The liver is “attached” to the inside of the diaphragm with a powerful sickle-shaped ligament. Dense connective tissue fibers are attached to the lower surface of the right lobe of the liver gallbladder. Sometimes there is an adjacent caecum with a worm-shaped process, loops of the small intestine.
In the exhale, the internal intercostal muscles and the abdominal wall are actively occupied. They press down on the organs located in the upper floor of the peritoneum and the diaphragm in order to reduce the volume of the chest. Contracted simultaneously with the abdominal muscles, the diaphragm increases the pressure in the abdominal cavity.
The greater the resistance of the lung tissue (loss of elasticity during hardening, inflammation), the stronger the muscles tense. Their work is greatly enhanced by increasing the frequency of breathing during exercise.
Mechanism of pain in the hypochondrium when inhaling
Acquaintance with the anatomical structures and their functional participation in the act of breathing will help us to understand the causes of pain in the upper quadrant when breathing in. According to the mechanism of education, all pains in the right hypochondrium should be divided into those caused by:
- digestive organs,
- chest organs,
- other anatomical formations that form irradiation.
Painful sensations in the area of the piercing nature of the liver often trouble healthy untrained people if they have to go for a run. In this situation, pain in the right hypochondrium in the front is usually disturbed.
Their occurrence is explained by:
- spastic contractions of the diaphragm due to the failure of the rhythm of normal breathing,
- elevated levels of the hormone adrenaline, which helps to increase the blood supply to the liver and stretch the capsule, and also reduces the tone of the muscle layer of the gallbladder and ducts (overflow causes pain).
Pain in the right hypochondrium with an increase in deep breath can be caused by inflammatory pathology of the liver, gallbladder due to local involvement in the process of the peritoneum.
This feature is used by doctors to diagnose the degree of spread of inflammation, when the patient is specifically asked to breathe deeply and pay his attention to the change in the nature of pain. Consider specific diseases of the digestive system, accompanied by pain during breathing.
Causes dull ache in right upper quadrant when inhaling
Diseases of the digestive tract cause dull or sharp pain depending on the phase and stage. In chronic course with rare exacerbations, patients note inconsistent soreness in the lower right chest when taking a deep breath.
Chronic inflammatory processes in the liver, gallbladder are accompanied by partial hardening (replacement of the own tissue with scars) of the parenchyma of the organ or wall of the cavity, and deformation. This violates the location of the ligament apparatus. And when breathing and tightening the diaphragm contributes to pain in the side or above the projection zone.
Chronic cholecystitis is a common disease of the inflammatory gallbladder. Outside of aggravation gives pulling and dull pains in the hypochondrium on the right. In patients with a long "experience" of the disease, the bladder becomes thinner, covered with scars and adhesions. Painful sensations occur not only with a deep breath, but also during movements of the body, bends.
Biliary dyskinesia is considered the initial stage of cholecystitis and cholangitis. It is expressed in violation of the contractile function of the bladder and ducts, pains that dull, then spastic.
It is observed in nervous people prone to irritability, feelings, hormonal imbalance. The connection of pain with inspiration is due to impaired regulation of respiration, discoordination of contractions of muscle groups. Soothing treatments help get rid of unpleasant symptoms.
Hepatitis - inflammatory diseases of the liver contribute to tissue edema and an increase in the volume of the organ, pain caused by stretching of the capsule.
Usually are blunt in nature, patients note the "feeling of heaviness" on the right in the hypochondrium.
Strengthening with breathing is possible when trying to actively move, to play sports in the remission phase, joining cholecystitis. Fatty degeneration and cirrhosis of the liver is a long process with deformation of the organ, replacement with scar tissue, tension of the diaphragm ligamentous apparatus.
When there are acute pains in the hypochondrium on the right while inhaling?
A sharp pain in the right hypochondrium with increased inspiration is characteristic of the clinical picture of an acute inflammatory process with local peritonitis. Acute cholecystitis - accompanied by severe right-sided pain with irradiation to the scapula, lower back, shoulder, collarbone.
At the same time, patients complain of nausea, vomiting, belching bitterness, a significant increase in temperature, chills. Palpation of the abdomen is determined by a strong pain at the point of the gallbladder, sometimes - an enlarged and tense bladder. On the proposal to breathe deeply patients, on the contrary, hold their breath to the surface. In this way, it is possible to reduce peritoneal irritation.
Gallstone disease is characterized by cutting pain when stone moves along ducts. Irradiation is very pronounced in the right side of the chest, lower abdomen, back. At the height of the attack, vomiting of bile is observed. In the interictal period, the pain remains, but takes a dull character.
Appendicitis with atypical localization reaches the surface of the liver and diaphragm. High pain location is characteristic of inflammation of the appendix against the background of a long gestational period.
The pain is not localized in the ileal region, as in the classical picture, but in the right hypochondrium, in the back, accompanied by vomiting, high fever, intensified during inhalation. It is almost impossible to distinguish from cholecystitis. Recognized only during the operation.
An abscess and an echinococcal cyst of the liver, with marked suppuration and growth, stretch the organ, exert pressure on the capsule, therefore causing persistent pain of a pulsating nature (during abscess formation). Movement and breathing stimulate pain.
Malignant neoplasms in the liver tissue or metastases in it are accompanied at the initial stage by a feeling of heaviness, then they turn into intense persistent pains in the hypochondrium on the right with increased breathing.
Sick in the right hypochondrium of the patient may be irradiated from neighboring organs during the exacerbation of chronic pancreatitis, peptic ulcer. Appear:
- dagger or cutting pains with main localization in the epigastrium, just above the navel,
- nausea and vomiting,
- diarrhea, with blood or covered with fatty film,
- lowering blood pressure.
In addition to irradiation, pain during breathing may be accompanied by rupture of the body, the initial effects of peritonitis. With perforation of the ulcerative perihepatic part of the intestine caused by Crohn's disease, peritoneal manifestations should also be expected.
Pathology of the chest
The cause of pain in the right side, hypochondrium with a sharp increase in inspiration may be chest disease. These include pathology: respiratory organs, heart and blood vessels, bone skeleton and muscles.
Pneumonia (pneumonia) is a common independent disease or complication of bronchitis, sepsis. Caused by pathogenic bacteria and viruses if the patient’s immunity falls. Pain when breathing, with the spread into the abdominal cavity, is observed with right-sided pleuropneumonia (croupous).
- sudden start
- cough with purulent sputum, possibly with blood,
- severe discomfort
- pain in the side and hypochondrium when breathing,
- blue lips
Pleurisy - the accumulation of inflammatory fluid in the right pleural cavity, is a complication of pneumonia, a sign of pulmonary tuberculosis. Irritation of the pleural sheets causes severe pain in the back of the lower ribs and in the hypochondrium radiating to the abdomen, the impossibility of deep breathing, shortness of breath, lagging behind the right side of the chest in the act of breathing.
Patients have a general serious condition, severe intoxication, chills, high temperature fluctuations. Pleurisy can be caused by lung abscess, a cancerous tumor, suppressed bronchiectasis.
An extremely dangerous condition is thromboembolism of the pulmonary artery. If a blood clot enters a lower order artery, then the changes are limited to the pneumonia pattern with necrosis of a part of the tissue (heart attack). When a large diameter branch is blocked, the patient appears:
- sudden choking
- sharp pains in the chest and stomach,
- blue upper body,
- cough with profuse expectoration and hemoptysis,
- weakness and loss of consciousness.
Abdominal form of myocardial infarction - often associated with the localization of ischemia in the zone of the posterior wall of the left ventricle. The pain of a compressing, burning, or pressing type occurs suddenly, is localized in the epigastrium, radiating to the abdomen, back, scapula, and difficult breathing.
The ECG shows signs of ischemia, blockade, arrhythmia. The disease is so well known to surgeons that no experienced doctor will begin surgery for cholecystitis until an ECG study is performed.
Congestive heart failure is a complication of severe heart disease affecting the myocardium. Disturbance of the contractile ability of the ventricles leads to blood retention in the limbs, abdomen, lungs. The liver suffers from one of the first.
Overflow of the portal vein causes the liquid part of the blood to enter the parenchyma, swelling and distension of the capsule. The diaphragm has to work with increased load, which causes spastic contractions. Accordingly, the patient feels heaviness in the right hypochondrium and sharp colic, with painful breathing.
Right-sided pneumothorax - characterized by a rupture of lung tissue, the release of air into the pleural cavity with compression of the right lung. A sudden shock occurs in a patient, because of sharp pains he cannot breathe, pressure drops. The cause is injury of the chest, fibro-cavernous pulmonary tuberculosis, abscess pneumonia.
Diseases of the musculoskeletal skeleton of the chest can cause sharp pains along the lower ribs, especially during breathing and movements. These include:
- bruises and fractures of the right ribs,
- intercostal neuralgia,
- muscle myositis,
- osteochondrosis of the lumbar and thoracic,
- infringement of a hernia of an intervertebral disk.
On examination of the patient, the doctor discovers painful points along the muscles, nerve endings, a sharp increase in pain in compression of the chest and breathing, neurological signs (loss of sensitivity, change in tone in the limbs).
Pathology of other organs
- Among other diseases that can radiate pain in the hypochondrium and intensify during inhalation it can be noted:
- pyelonephritis of the right kidney, especially accompanied by inflammation of perirenal fiber around the upper pole,
- kidney disease
- adrenal tumors with metastases to the spine,
- hepatic and vena cava thrombosis.
Given the many-sided nature of the lesions that can cause pain in the right hypochondrium associated with breathing, it is impossible to endure for a long time. In the presence of acute and severe pain, you should call an ambulance. If the previously familiar symptom has changed the irradiation and nature, then you should contact the clinic. Self-treatment can harm and complicate the course of the disease.
It still seems to you that curing the stomach and intestines is hard?
Judging by the fact that you are reading these lines now - the victory in the fight against diseases of the gastrointestinal tract is not on your side ...
And have you already thought about surgery? It is understandable, because the stomach is a very important organ, and its proper functioning is a guarantee of health and well-being. Frequent abdominal pain, heartburn, bloating, belching, nausea, abnormal stool ... All these symptoms are familiar to you firsthand.
But perhaps it is more correct to treat not the effect, but the cause? Here is the story of Galina Savina, about how she got rid of all these unpleasant symptoms ... Read article >>>
Unpleasant and painful sensations in the localization zone of the liver, aggravated by the inhalation of air, usually indicate a progression of cholecystitis. They are associated with the presence of gallstones, which completely or partially block the ducts.
But pain when inhaling in the right hypochondrium may accompany other diseases not related to the liver and nearby organs. The gastroenterologist and neuropathologist will help to correctly diagnose the pathological condition.
Causes dull pain with a deep breath at any point of the right hypochondrium
If the nature of the pain syndrome is aching, pulling, or dull, then the following diseases are capable of provoking it:
cirrhosis, acute or chronic hepatitis, liver cancer, cholangitis, parasitic infestation in the right lobe of the liver, calculary and nekalkulezny cholecystitis, diverticulosis intestine, adrenal tumors, colitis in the early development stage, steatosis, pyelonephritis right kidney, congestive heart failure, biliary dyskinesia hypomotor form, contusion or fracture of the ribs, upper acute paranephritis.
Why there is a sharp pain in the hypochondrium on the right side when inhaling?
When the pain is very intense, this indicates the presence of an emergency surgical condition (“acute abdomen”), for example:
injuries and breaks in the membranes of the internal organs, intestinal obstruction, acute pancreatitis, obstruction of the bile duct, appendicitis, renal colic, abdominal myocardial infarction, inflammation of the gallbladder, thrombosis of the internal veins and arteries.
Also acute or stabbing pain when inhaling in the right hypochondrium is typical for such pathologies:
herpes zoster, tumors of the colon, urolithiasis, necrosis of the renal papillae, intercostal neuralgia, colitis, lumbar osteochondrosis, thrombosis of the vena cava or hepatic vein, gastric ulcer.
Symptoms of pain in the hypochondrium
Pain arises from the effects of damaging factors as a defensive reaction. The purpose of the painful sensations is the warning function of malfunctions of the body, of developing diseases. Originating in pain receptors, pain is transmitted through nerves to the spinal cord and brain. Pain in nature is multifaceted and diverse, so their manifestations have varying degrees of pain, duration and location.
By the nature of the manifestation, symptoms of pain in the hypochondrium can be acute, aching, dull, shooting, stabbing, burning, etc. The appearance of acute pain syndrome on the right most often indicates an inflammatory process or injury to the liver, gallbladder. A paroxysmal, severe right pain is a common symptom of gallstone disease, lung disease, renal colic, or urolithiasis.
Severe pain on the left is associated with inflammatory processes in the pancreas (pancreatitis), stomach or spleen.
The aching symptoms indicate hepatitis and cholecystitis of the chronic stage, while it is important to exclude - cirrhosis, liver tumor, kidney dysfunction.
Post-traumatic pain symptoms on either side are observed with bruises, injuries of internal organs, fractures of the ribs.
Pain in the hypochondrium behind
Emerging pain in the hypochondrium behind can talk about violations of the kidneys. The diagnosis is confirmed on the basis of analyzes.
Local soreness in the hypochondrium on the right indicates acute cholecystitis. The pain can be given to the area of the right shoulder blade, shoulder, chest, in the heart region. The disease occurs with characteristic symptoms - nausea, yellowish color of the skin, vomiting, fever.
An attack of pancreatitis may be accompanied by pain encircling the chest, heart area, left shoulder blade and shoulder girdle.
On the part of the respiratory system, pain in the back is manifested when:
pleurisy - cutting pain on the left or right of the chest, pneumothorax - sternum pain accompanied by pain in the scapular area, pneumonia - different pains of various manifestations (from moderate to severe), lung cancer, bronchus - pain syndrome may cover the chest and shoulder.
When the dysfunction of the cardiovascular system noted pain in the neck, back, shoulder. Angina, for example, causes soreness between the shoulder blades. Aortic aneurysm is associated with burning, shooting discomfort in the back and left shoulder.
Pain in hypochondrium when inhaling
Increased pain when breathing, cough is associated primarily with the pleura, the heart region. Localization of dull or acute pain is found on the right or on the left.
The exacerbation of cholecystitis is accompanied by inflammatory symptoms - chills, intoxication, neutrophilic leukocytosis. Acute pain on the right side increases with inhalation.
The state of renal colic is characterized by severe pain in the hypochondrium when inhaling on the right side, extending to the right shoulder and shoulder blade.
Violations of the respiratory system cause sharp pain when breathing, movement of the body, cough.
Intercostal neuralgia is described by sharp, shooting pains that increase with inhalation.
Stiffness in the chest, pain, shallow breathing are possible due to functional disorders of the rib cage, pleural tumors, and pericarditis.
The reduction of the interpleural ligament as a result of the inflammatory process is accompanied by constant coughing, stabbing pain during inhalation, running and other physical activity.
Sharp pain in hypochondrium
Acute pancreatic disease (pancreatitis) begins with herpes pains. For an attack characterized by a sharp pain in the hypochondrium on the left. Supporters of painful symptoms can serve - alcohol, fatty foods, excessive eating.
A sudden, sharp, cramping pain accompanies intestinal colic. May flow along with chills and weakness. Chronic inflammation of the gallbladder (cholecystitis) often manifests itself dull and aching pain under the right edge. The aggravation of the condition is observed after eating fatty foods, shaking in transport. Often there is a sharp, compressive pain. Related symptoms - bitter taste in the mouth, vomiting of bile, an increase in temperature.
The appearance of severe pain on the right may be associated with hepatitis, cirrhosis of the liver. The cutting, burning sensation under the right edge occurs with a disease of the gallbladder, with the stone moving along the bile ducts.
Pain in hypochondrium when moving
Urolithiasis is accompanied by persistent or intermittent pain under the edge on the right, aggravated during movement, traveling in transport and when consuming a large volume of fluid. The process of moving the stone along the urinary tract occurs with severe pain, in which a person cannot find a place in any position.
A dull, dull, prolonged pain in the hypochondrium when moving on the right, radiating to the shoulder and scapula on the right, are symptoms of liver disease. Pain syndrome increases even when changing the position of the body, which is associated with a rapid increase in the liver.
Disruption of motility of the biliary system and, as a result, spastic contraction of the gallbladder can be caused by physical or psycho-emotional overstrain. Increased pain is observed on palpation, body movement.
Pain in hypochondrium when coughing
Pain in hypochondrium when coughing, possible causes of appearance:
inflammation in the membrane, which is lined with the cavity of the sternum from the inside, as a result of pneumonia - a decrease in respiratory mobility, • disruption of the rib cage functions, swelling of the pleura - accompanied by stiffness of movements, dry pericarditis - minimal or acute pain, restriction of caudal displacement, reduction of interpleural ligament - piercing pain sensation, intercostal neuralgia development - shooting pains, renal colic - manifested by pain on the right, in the stomach, extends to the entire abdomen, rib rib is characterized by severe pain, inflammation of the trachea (tracheitis), as a consequence of the flu, acute respiratory viral infections - a scratching sensation behind the sternum, lung cancer is characterized by various pains (acute, moderate, surrounding, piercing, etc.), pneumothorax (air in pleural cavity) - often occurs with unbearable pain, sometimes without pain.
Pain in the hypochondrium from the back
Acute pancreatitis occurs with nausea, vomiting, and severe sweating. An attack of pancreatitis is characterized by pain in the hypochondrium from the back, aggravated in the prone position. The long-awaited relief brings a sitting position with the body leaning forward.
The cause of pain in the area of the right shoulder and shoulder blade can be a disease of the liver, biliary tract. The painful focus is located on the right under the rib and is characterized by different intensity.
A patient suffering from urolithiasis describes a dull pain under the right edge of the back.
Painful sensations on the right are inherent in intercostal neuralgia, the nature may be mild or acute.
Complaints of back pain also occur in pathologies of the kidneys, peptic ulcer 12p. As a rule, the ulcer will manifest itself with pain on the right, kidney disease may have local pain and shingles.
Pulling pain in hypochondrium
Violation of diet, excessive exercise can cause pulling pain in the hypochondrium on the right. If in the process of fast walking, running, you have similar sensations, this may indicate the presence of stagnation of the biliary tract. An attack of aching pain with a spasm reaction, a burning sensation on the part of the intestines will confirm this diagnosis. Relief comes after stool with loose stools.
Peptic ulcer 12p of the intestine is often accompanied by pulling pain and bitterness in the mouth. Chronic liver problems are distinguished by a nagging or dull aching pain on the right. Pulling pain also occurs as a result of chronic hepatitis, cirrhosis, and liver swelling.
Dull, pulling pain on the left may indicate an enlarged spleen with infectious lesions. The process is accompanied by fever, sore throat, lymphadenopathy. This is an acute infectious mononucleosis that poses a risk of rupture of the spleen with a slight load, injury or slight injury.
Pain in hypochondrium on the right
Violation of work, injury to the liver, gallbladder, part of the diaphragm and intestines cause pain in the hypochondrium on the right and top of the abdomen. Soreness is different in the nature and intensity of manifestation.
Causes of pain under the ribs on the right:
liver diseases - viral (types - A, B, C), alcoholic or toxic hepatitis, gall bladder problems (infections, liver dysfunction), inflammation of the pancreas (pancreatitis), kidney pathology - abscess, abscess, stones, inflammatory process in the appendix ( is under the liver), right-sided pneumonia, ulcer 12p intestine, cancer of the organs, an attack of cholecystitis, hepatic colic.
Pain in hypochondrium on the left
Morbidity on the left is observed with problems with the stomach, spleen, pancreas, part of the intestine and diaphragm.
Peptic ulcer and 12p bowel disease are characterized by cyclical pain in the left hypochondrium. Exacerbations appear in spring or autumn, pain occurs more often at night. Diseases are manifested by symptoms such as heartburn, constipation, flatulence.
Gastritis of low acidity responds with pain under the rib on the left immediately or some time after the meal. Relief occurs with vomiting. Diseases tend to decrease appetite, diarrhea, sour or bitter belching (less often with the taste of food consumed).
An enlarged spleen is fraught with soreness under the rib on the left side.
Stomach cancer manifests itself pains under the left edge only in the advanced stage, as a rule, the onset of the disease does not detect itself. The secondary signs help to suspect oncology:
decrease in body weight, changes in eating habits (aversion to meat, pereborchivosti), icteric complexion indicates signs of anemia, early intoxication, decreased performance, chronic weakness, changes in the psycho-emotional background (depression, loss of interest in life).
Pain in both hypochondria
Most acute or chronic diseases of the peritoneal organs, trauma, postoperative conditions cause pain in both hypochondria. Pain in the front, local or shingles in nature occurs when the following problems occur:
stomach ulcer, 12P intestine - pain is like a dagger, exacerbation of pancreatitis - a sudden zoster pain, subdiaphragmatic abscess - a sharp pain in the front, gastralgicheskaya form of myocardial infarction - appears quite severe pain, renal colic - paroxysmal pain back below the ribs, retroperitoneal hematoma - manifested by pain from the back, the intensity depends on the amount of accumulated blood, gastritis of increased or normal acidity - pain occurs on an empty stomach, chronic n ankreatit - girdle pain that spreads to both shoulder blades, is detected after a meal (usually fatty, sweet), pancreatic cancer - symptoms similar to chronic pancreatitis, but without reference to food intake, pulmonary pathologies - intense with increased coughing, breathing, kidney diseases , vascular dystonia - acute or dull, encircling pain.
Pain under the right hypochondrium in healthy people
Pain in the right hypochondrium can be due to a lot of reasons. In some situations, discomfort also appears in completely healthy people: in this case, it is a variant of the physiological norm. However, often the problem lies in the development of pathologies of the gastrointestinal tract and other organs.
Physiological reasons why pain in the right hypochondrium:
- Pregnancy. In pregnant women in the third trimester, the uterus is enormously stretched and presses on all the organs with which it contacts, displacing the intestines, pressing down the stump and gall bladder. Therefore, for healthy pregnant women, piercing or pressing pains in the right hypochondrium are not infrequent. In addition, progesterone, preserving pregnancy in the later stages, expands the bile duct and stimulates bile stasis. And if you give a physical load with such a tum, then you can feel some discomfort with a high probability.
- Pain on exertion. Surely, many have noticed that after intense physical exertion, pain occurs in the right side. This is due to excessive stretching of the liver tissue, which, in turn, is due to the sharp flow of blood to the organ. Especially often this happens after a dense meal. This condition is not dangerous.
- Pain in women. At the end of the menstrual cycle, some women experience a sharp imbalance between low progesterone and high estrogen, which leads to spasm of the biliary tract and can also cause colic in the right hypochondrium. Acceptance of hormonal contraceptives can worsen the course of premenstrual syndrome and increase stitching pains due to violation of the passage of bile.
Pathological causes of pain under the right rib
Anatomically, the upper right quadrant of the abdomen includes: the liver, gallbladder, part of the diaphragm and small intestine, duodenum, right kidney, pancreas.
Diseases and injuries of these organs can increase the occurrence of pain in the right side under the ribs:
- The most obvious cause of pain is liver disease. These include hepatitis, hepatosis and cirrhosis, parasitic lesions.
- Violation of the patency of the biliary tract (cholecystitis). A sharp, sharp pain that suddenly began, especially at night, is formed in violation of the patency of the biliary tract and in acute cholecystitis. In the case of increasing the tone of the gallbladder increases its propensity to reduce, also increases the frequency and strength of its contractions. Such processes are accompanied by severe and short-term pain and are often triggered by nervous overstrain and stress.
- Urolithiasis disease. The cause, when it hurts in the right hypochondrium, may be urolithiasis, in which pain from the right kidney is felt acutely, but it is not clear and can be felt in the back in the lower back, lower abdomen, as well as under the left or right side of the lower ribs. Urolithiasis is manifested by the detection of kidney stones, bladder and urinary tract. There is a sharp pain, increasing with each movement.
- Renal colic. It occurs when the stones in the kidneys begin to move and with their sharp edges touch the internal organs. The pain becomes very strong when a person moves. The stones block the urinary tract, in connection with this pain is shifted to the groin.
- Peptic ulcer disease. Typical pains in the right hypochondrium in front are associated with gastric ulcer and duodenal ulcer. The nature of the pain and its intensity depends on many factors. Discomfort occurs after eating, on an empty stomach or after exercise. Pain syndrome is accompanied by heartburn, sour belching, vomiting, loss of strength, alternating diarrhea and constipation, palpitations. Often, peptic ulcer disease occurs in a latent form, in advanced cases there is a threat of internal bleeding and peritonitis, which is dangerous for the patient's life and requires urgent surgical intervention.
- Biliary dyskinesia is a violation of the motor function of the organ. The main reason for the development of the disease are stresses, unhealthy diet, large physical exertion. Usually when a patient is examined for dyskinesia, diseases of the digestive system are found. Pathology arises spontaneously, accompanied by severity, paroxysmal acute pain in the right side, nausea, upset stool (diarrhea or constipation), tachycardia, the appearance of bitter taste in the mouth, in rare cases - a headache. Dyskinesia is accompanied by stagnation of bile in the gallbladder, which contributes to the formation of stones and the development of cholelithiasis.
- Pancreatitis. Throbbing pain indicates pancreatitis. The exact cause of inflammation of the pancreas is not installed. Pathology begins with a throbbing, intense, encircling pain. If these symptoms occur, the patient needs immediate hospitalization and emergency surgical treatment. A pronounced pain in the right square of the abdomen is observed when pancreatitis turns from acute to chronic and is amenable to conservative treatment.
- Intercostal neuralgia. Not always the pain in the hypochondrium is caused by the pathology of the internal organs. So, pain in the area of the ribs can occur in skeletal diseases. Such a common disease as osteochondrosis occurs with degeneration of the spinal cartilage. The altered cartilage squeezes the nerves, which leads to pain.
Pain in the right hypochondrium behind
If the patient complains that the back under the right shoulder blade hurts, the causes of this phenomenon may be associated with injuries of the lower ribs, damage to the intercostal nerves. Manifested behind the pain under the right shoulder blade from the back and with lesions of the right kidney, adrenal gland. Causes of back pain can also be associated with diseases of the inferior vena cava.
- Urolithiasis disease. Diseases of the right kidney and, in the first place, urolithiasis can cause intense pain. The stone or sand that started the journey from the renal pelvis scratches it, and then the ureter, so the pain in renal colic will be not only in the projection of the lower ribs, but also in the lower back and in the side of the abdomen. Pain paroxysmal and severe. She gives in the thigh, genitals. When tapping with an edge of the palm at the back, the pain increases and can give to the groin. At the same time in the urine may appear traces of blood. In some patients, renal colic is accompanied by vomiting.
- Pyelonephritis. The development of acute infectious inflammation of the kidney is accompanied by pain in the kidneys, intoxication, fever. It hurts and when urinating, there are periodic false urges, swelling appear on the face.
- Necrosis of the renal papillae. It can be the result of oxygen starvation of the renal tissue during the blockage of vessels that feed it (infectious agents or diabetes). In this case, the pain is constant, combined with blood in the urine. The patient may die from septic shock.
- Kidney cancer. This condition may not manifest for a long time. Slight pain and bleeding appear already in the final stages of the disease. Sometimes the tumor prevents the outflow of urine, then there is a sharp pain. Soreness in the hypochondrium is also manifested in tumors of the right adrenal gland, provided that the tumor is large.
- Acute upper paranephritis. This is an inflammation of fatty tissue in the upper part of the kidney against the background of infection from the tonsils, carious teeth, or other foci of inflammation. First, there is a temperature of up to 38, moderate back pain on the affected side. After 2-3 days, the pain moves and in the right hypochondrium, increases with a deep breath. Pain in the lower back is aggravated by a sharp straightening of the body and when walking.
- Intercostal neuralgia. The reason that the person pulls on the right side, becomes numb in the hypochondrium, may be intercostal neuralgia. In this state, sometimes pulls from the back, sore ribs on both sides in front. When neuralgia strongly pricks in different areas, until the limitation of mobility. The pain becomes stronger when bending, turning. Also, the reason that suddenly stabbed under the spoon or twitches on both sides, can be myositis, when a person's muscles are inflamed.
- Osteochondrosis of the lumbar spine. It gives pains of varying intensity, which are accompanied by limited mobility, muscle squeezing and tension. At the same time, pain can be from varying degrees of intensity to shooting.
- Shingles. In this case, herpetic eruptions appear along the nerve in the form of bubbles with a turbid liquid, and the skin reddens. Itching, burning, pain develops at the site of injury. This means that you need to contact a dermatologist.
- Thrombosis of the vena cava. A rare variant of thrombosis of the inferior vena cava (when a blood clot comes from the iliac veins and clogs the main trunk of the vein) gives back pain (right upper quadrant) and a clinic similar to the late stage of kidney tumors. If the hepatic segment is thromboed, then intense pain will occur in the front right hypochondrium and will be given under the right scapula. This will cause accumulation of fluid in the abdominal cavity and jaundice.
If the pain in the right hypochondrium is in front
Tingling or sharp pain in the right side is manifested due to diseases of the organs that are adjacent in this area. Some states are accompanied by pain from the back, sometimes it gives to the leg, to the scapula, to the kidney, etc. There may also be pain in the lungs with a deep breath. With some diagnoses, the pain can be periodic, manifest when walking, with coughing. With others - the discomfort bothering constantly.
- Hepatitis. Hepatitis viral, alcoholic or toxic give a picture of intoxication (weakness, lethargy, disability) and dyspepsia (nausea, loss of appetite, vomiting). In the midst of the disease joins jaundice with a lemon shade of the skin and whites of the eyes. In the same period, urine acquires the color of beer, and feces - the color of clay due to metabolic disorders of bile pigments.
- Cirrhosis of the liver. In patients with cirrhosis, death of liver cells and a change in its structure is noted. People with this diagnosis have a pain in the right side at the waist level, sometimes the pain is felt from behind. In case of cirrhosis, a person may notice that he has a pain in his right side below the ribs, at the very beginning of the disease. In this case, a burning sensation in the right side is stubborn. In the later stages of cirrhosis, the liver decreases, its performance decreases, the patient develops hepatic coma, and death is likely.
- Echinococcosis. These are cysts with liquid contents, which are caused by the echinococcus worm. The cysts are most often located in the right lobe of the liver and, as they grow, they squeeze the capillaries and the intrahepatic bile ducts, causing severe heaviness in the hypochondrium and an uneven enlargement of the liver. If the cyst fester, then a cavity filled with pus develops - an abscess of the liver. At the same time, the pain intensifies, the body temperature rises and inflammation of the peritoneum or even blood infection may develop.
- Congestive heart failure. Why the discomfort in the right hypochondrium bothers in this case, explains the patient's condition. Initially, his blood circulation deteriorates, as a result, the liver increases, fluid accumulates in the abdominal cavity. There is a pulling pain in the right side, a feeling of heaviness. Pulling pain bothers as the disease progresses. With abdominal myocardial infarction, the patient is worried about a strong, burning pain in the lower part of the right hypochondrium. Sometimes the patient complains that he presses in his side. But in some cases, the onset of pain is sometimes very sharp, similar to a knife stroke, pain is manifested in the shoulder blade, sternum. As a rule, this happens with the development of heart attacks in the back of the heart muscle. Sometimes it seems to the patient that this painful sensation manifests itself in waves: from time to time it decreases and increases. At the same time pallor, disturbances of ChSS, pressure drop can be noted.
- Diseases of the gallbladder. They give the highest percentage of intense and sharp (cutting or stabbing pains) that are characteristic of acute inflammation. At the same time, a shifting stone covering the lumen of the bladder neck or bile duct or the bacterial flora can be the cause of inflammation. Pain in acute inflammation occurs at the point between the rectus abdominis muscle on the right and the costal arch. They are cramping, strong, give to the right shoulder or left hypochondrium. There may be bitterness in the mouth, belching air, nausea and vomiting of bile. Sometimes body temperature rises. For calculous cholecystitis, the development of obstructive jaundice with yellow-green skin and mucous membranes is typical.
Pain after eating
Eating accelerates the secretion and promotion of bile, increases the blood supply to the liver and stimulates intestinal peristalsis. Therefore, food provokes pain in pathologies of the liver, gallbladder, intestines.
The nature of the pain may be different: nausea and dull hue are characteristic of cholecystitis, a sharp pain of a spastic nature accompanies colitis and intestinal dysbiosis, stitching pains accompany biliary dyskinesia or cholelithiasis.
Discomfort in the form of pulling or stabbing pain occurs after physical exertion in people with hepatitis, cirrhosis, and congestive liver. After shaking, physical exertion, an attack of calculous cholecystitis may occur. Also, periodic pain with a load appears in patients with myositis, intercostal neuralgia, osteochondrosis, rib fracture, vena cava thrombosis.
Acute appendicitis pain
An appendix is a lymphoid organ that is involved in the immune defense of the digestive system. Located in the right iliac bone, but its position is quite variable. This causes difficulties in the diagnosis of inflammation of the appendix. Appendicitis has its clear stages of development that only a surgeon can diagnose.
- Pain in the navel and stomach,
- The pain for three hours is localized in the right half of the abdomen,
- Reduction of pain in the supine position,
- Increased pain when walking and lying on the left side,
- Against the background of pain, general well-being deteriorates, body temperature rises, vomiting and diarrhea occur.
In such cases, emergency surgical treatment is performed in a surgical hospital.
Differentiation of pain
Depending on what kind of pain the patient feels, who has come to the doctor with this problem, it is possible to identify with which organ or other painful sensations are associated with the disease.
So, pain in the right hypochondrium, that it can be:
- Burning pain in the right hypochondrium is often the cause of acute cholecystitis.
- Acute pain in the right hypochondrium is most likely associated with diseases of the gallbladder.
- Severe pain in the right hypochondrium, as a rule, is felt by patients suffering from hepatitis.
- Dull pain may be due to inflammation in the gallbladder.
- The aching or pressing pain can be attributed to the symptoms that occur when biliary dyskinesia.
- Pulling pains are characteristic of chronic hepatitis.
- An arching type of pain can be caused by chronic pancreatic diseases.
- Pulsating pains are characteristic of patients with a diagnosis of pancreatitis.
- Stitching pain occurs in patients with right kidney problems.
Also, pain in the right hypochondrium can be fixed only in the evening or at night. Medical practice shows that persistent nocturnal pains in this area are often the first sign of a duodenal ulcer.
When complaining to the doctor of pain in the right hypochondrium, he has the right to appoint:
- blood chemistry,
- analysis of urine samples for bilirubin,
- Abdominal ultrasound
If results are uncertain, MRI, CT scans may be required, with emphasis on abdominal examination or liver biopsy. And only after receiving all the research results, the doctor will prescribe a course of treatment and diet, as well as determine the need for hospitalization.
How to remove the pain?
In order to relieve pain, you can drink no-shpa, but you should not abuse painkillers - it will not give the opportunity to correctly determine the cause of discomfort.
Immediately call the ambulance team is necessary if the patient has the following symptoms:
- persistent vomiting
- fainting and faintness,
- delay or complete inability to urinate,
- acute pain, unbearable, lasts more than a few minutes (not attacks - spasms, characterized by cramping pain, but constant significant discomfort),
- uterine bleeding,
- blood in vomit, feces, urine,
- significant increase in body temperature (above 38.5 ° C),
- diarrhea or constipation lasting several days.
If it hurts in the right hypochondrium and the reasons are clarified, the question remains what to do. The main thing a patient should know is that under no circumstances should you self-medicate. Acceptance of antispasmodics, analgesics and similar drugs significantly lubricates the picture and complicates the work of a doctor.
Recipes of first aid widely spread on the Internet are also ineffective, but also dangerous. In no case can not take alcoholic tinctures, put the heater on the stomach, and the like: for unexplained reasons, it can cause a fatal outcome. The main thing that a patient should do is to consult a doctor. It is not necessary to the district. With intense pain you need to contact the ambulance.
Treatment is almost always medication and includes taking analgesics, antispasmodics, diuretic drugs, choleretic drugs, etc. These medicines are prescribed exclusively by a doctor. Surgical care is required in extreme, urgent cases, such as intestinal obstruction, perforated ulcer, etc. In all other cases, conservative therapy is indicated.
Preventive measures for the prevention of pain in the right hypochondrium are reduced to compliance with the following recommendations:
- taking medicines only on prescription,
- avoid stressful situations
- personal hygiene,
- healthy and active lifestyle
- rejection of bad habits,
- proper and complete nutrition,
- the use of barrier contraceptives during sexual intercourse, the rejection of random connections.
Regular medical examinations (1 time per year) will prevent or detect any abnormalities in health and receive the necessary treatment.
What is in the right side?
To understand the pathology of which organs can be felt by pains on the right, it is worth finding out what is within this anatomical site.
First, we find out that in the right side under the ribs in front:
- the lower lobe of the right lung, covered with pleura (thin shell). It is noteworthy that the lung itself does not cause pain, but pain in the right hypochondrium can cause damage to the pleura,
- liver covered with a capsule. It works the same principle as with the lung: it is not the liver itself that hurts, but its capsule,
- the gallbladder with biliary tract, which also depart from the liver, falling into the duodenum,
- the blind intestine with the appendix.
If pains are disturbed when inhaling in the right side of the back, it may be the pathology of the following organs:
- kidneys with ureters extending from them,
- in women, at the bottom right, there are uterine appendages: the ovaries and fallopian tubes.
What diseases require emergency care?
Separately, it is necessary to identify diseases that cause pain in the right hypochondrium in front and require immediate attention for medical help:
- acute cholecystitis,
- acute appendicitis,
- acute myocardial infarction,
- acute intestinal obstruction.
All the above pathological conditions require emergency care and, often, surgery.
Acute cholecystitis and appendicitis
These two pathologies belong to the group of diseases that cause a specific symptom in surgery called "acute abdomen". This means that they require immediate surgical examination with subsequent laparotomy. In this article, these two pathologies are combined into one group, because they have very similar clinical symptoms. Despite the fact that the appendix is located in most cases on the right lower abdomen, there are options when it is located in the right hypochondrium, almost on the same level as the gall bladder. Then both cholecystitis and appendicitis can equally be the causes of pain in the right hypochondrium in the front.
However, there are a number of symptoms that will help make the correct diagnosis. So, for cholecystitis, in addition to pain when inhaling in the right side, are characterized by:
- nausea and vomiting with an admixture of bile that does not relieve,
- yellowing of the skin that occurs when the bile duct is blocked,
- temperature increase to high numbers
- general weakness and chills.
Acute appendicitis, in turn, has a number of the following manifestations:
- pains begin, as a rule, in the middle of the abdomen, and then go to the right side,
- tension of the abdominal muscles,
- positive symptoms of peritoneal irritation (the most common symptom is Shchetkin-Blumberg),
- the temperature is absent or rises to subfebrile,
- nausea and vomiting are possible.
Acute intestinal obstruction
This is a dangerous surgical pathology that can lead to death in the absence of timely assistance. Occlusion of the cavity of the intestinal tube and violation of the evacuation of fecal masses. In the future, they can be absorbed into the bloodstream and have a toxic effect on the entire body.
To suspect the development of intestinal obstruction, when stabbing in the right side while inhaling, the presence of the following signs will help:
- pain appears sharply, paroxysmally, has a pronounced intensity, accompanied by nausea and vomiting,
- lack of bowel movements for a long time - constipation,
- poor general well-being: lethargy and weakness.
Acute myocardial infarction
The most insidious pathology that can cause pain when inhaling in the right side is a myocardial infarction. Many are aware of the symptoms of a heart attack, such as pain in the left behind the sternum, which gives to the left hand, lower jaw, and left shoulder blade. And this is really the most common variant of the clinical course of heart attack.
However, there is an abdominal form of infarction that mimics other surgical pathologies (acute appendicitis, cholecystitis, intestinal obstruction). Therefore, in case of pain in the right side, it is very important to make an electrocardiogram in order to exclude the presence of this dangerous pathology.
For pain in myocardial infarction is characterized by very high intensity, which does not remove any drugs. In this case, only narcotic analgesics ("Morphine") can bring relief.
What is intercostal neuralgia?
The term "intercostal neuralgia" is widely known. And it is not surprising, because this is indeed one of the most common causes of pain in the right hypochondrium when inhaling from the front. But not all, however, correctly understand the meaning of this term. After all, even physicians are actively discussing this topic. Many consider intercostal neuralgia an independent diagnosis, while others say that this is only one of the symptoms of a number of diseases. Therefore, we will try to understand what this pathology is.
Neuralgia is pain in the nerves. It can occur both in the case of a direct lesion of a nerve (in case of injury or inflammation - neuritis), and in the compression of a nerve by other organs located close to it. For example, the cause of trigeminal neuralgia (which provides sensitivity to the face) may be inflammation of the sinuses.
Intercostal neuralgia: the main causes
Causes of pain in the right hypochondrium when inhaling from the front, caused by neuralgia, are really diverse:
- intoxication: from the outside (bacterial toxins, drugs), internal (associated with the pathology of internal organs),
- multiple sclerosis - chronic autoimmune disease of the nervous system, manifested by the destruction of the membranes of nerve fibers (myelin),
- shingles - herpes infection that affects the nerve ganglia, most often intercostal nerves and the trigeminal nerve are involved in the process,
- allergic reactions
- spinal pathology - hernia and protrusion of intervertebral discs, which lead to squeezing of the roots of the spinal cord,
- squeezing of the nerve by tumors of the right lung or mediastinal organs.
It is also worth noting separately states that increase the likelihood of tingling when inhaling in the right side:
- diabetes mellitus, which causes peripheral polyneuropathy,
- metabolism of vitamin B12, as it is necessary for the formation of nerve shells,
- alcohol abuse, which can lead to alcoholic polyneuropathy,
- cardiovascular diseases (atherosclerosis, coronary heart disease), which lead to a decrease in the supply of oxygen to nerves,
- endocrine diseases (thyrotoxicosis, adrenal pathology, long-term use of hormonal drugs).
Intercostal neuralgia: symptoms
The leading clinical manifestation of intercostal neuralgia is the appearance of pain in the right side during a deep breath, cough, sneezing, sudden movements. On palpation, the gaps between the ribs are sharply painful. The peculiarity of these pains is that the patient in most cases can accurately indicate their localization. This feature will help to distinguish neuralgia from diseases of the cardiovascular system, for example, from angina.
So, heart pains do not have a specific location, the patient cannot point a finger to a specific place. More often, he describes the pain as pressing, putting a fist to the sternum, while with neuralgia the pain is piercing. In addition, the pain in angina begins quickly and quickly (3-5 minutes). It is also not characterized by increased sneezing or coughing.
Hepatic or biliary colic
Some of the most common causes of pain in the right side should be considered separately, since these terms are known to almost everyone, while not quite understanding what they mean by themselves.
Hepatic (or biliary) colic is not a disease, but a separate symptom. Despite the presence in its name of the word "hepatic", colic is not due to pain in the kidney, but because of the stretching of the capsule around it. Almost everyone at least once experienced hepatic colic, running a cross at school or simply walking a long distance. The mechanism of this symptom is that with increased physical exertion the blood supply to the liver increases, and its edema occurs. When a certain size is reached, the liver stretches the capsule surrounding it, and information is transmitted through the nerve endings to the brain. Then there are the same pain in the right side, called hepatic colic.
Most often, no specific treatment is required. When the exercise stops, the swelling subsides and the pain goes away.
However, the appearance of colic in the pathology of the gallbladder and biliary tract. Thus, inflammation of the gallbladder (cholecystitis) or cholelithiasis can lead to blockage of the biliary tract. This, in turn, causes the same edema of the liver tissue and the stretching of the capsule.
Therefore, if a person experiences prolonged and severe pain in the right side, which is in no way connected with physical exertion, it is urgent to seek medical help. Indeed, the only possible treatment for cholelithiasis is cholecystectomy (removal of the gallbladder).
The main methods of treatment
All treatments for pain in the right side can be divided into three main groups:
- etiotropic - aimed at eliminating the cause of the disease,
- symptomatic - designed to alleviate the symptoms of the disease,
- pathogenetic - affects individual stages in the development of a specific disease.
In addition, treatment can be medical and non-drug. The latter includes physical therapy, breathing exercises, treatment of folk remedies.
Etiotropic and pathogenetic treatment should be carried out strictly as prescribed by the attending physician after conducting all additional diagnostic methods and determining the cause of the disease. Symptomatic therapy can be performed independently at home.Therefore, the following discussion focuses on this type of treatment.
How to treat pain in the right side when inhaling? What popular methods and medicines will help relieve pain in the right side?
Treatment of symptoms of intercostal neuralgia at home should first of all include strict bed rest in the acute period, which usually lasts 1-3 days. The patient is recommended to lie on a solid flat surface. Also relieves the pain of dry heat: hot water bottle, warm salt in the bags, mustard plaster. This remedy should be discarded if there are rashes, redness, abrasions on the skin.
It also helps to wear a special corset for several days. In addition, you need to spare the body: do not lift weights, avoid sudden movements and turns, prolonged sitting position.
The following groups of medications are used to treat symptoms of intercostal neuralgia at home:
- nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs.
The group of analgesics include such tools as "Analgin", "Baralgin", "Sedalgin".
The following non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs are distinguished: Ibuprofen, Diclofenac, Voltaren, Indomethacin.
Antispasmodics are another effective group of drugs that will help reduce pain in the right side. The principle of their therapeutic effect is based on the elimination of skeletal muscle spasm. Below is a list of antispasmodics most commonly used to treat side pains:
- atropine sulfate,
- platifillina hydrotartrate,
- Mebeverin - Duspatalin, Niaspam, Meverin,
- pinaverium bromide - "Ditsetel",
- Otilonium bromide - "Spasmomenon",
- Drotaverinum - "No-shpa", "Spazmol", "No-spalgin",
- papaverine - "Papazol",
- nitroglycerin - "Nitro-mik", "Nit-ret", "Sustak".
This list of antispasmodics on the left presents international names, and on the right - trade, with which you can find these drugs in pharmacies in Russia.
In addition to antispasmodics, analgesics and anti-inflammatory drugs, vitamin therapy is effective for relieving symptoms. Especially effective drugs containing vitamins B1, B6, B12.
If the pain is too strong, novocaine blockades are shown. Also widely used physiotherapy and reflexology.
To reduce the likelihood of pain in the right side when inhaling, you should follow these rules:
- adhere to proper and rational nutrition, which includes the rejection of fatty and fried foods, eating vegetables and fruits. This will reduce the risk of developing acute surgical pathology,
- avoid stress and mental overload
- rationalize sleep and rest,
- provide daily moderate exercise (15-20 minute exercise, walk in the fresh air),
- avoid excessive physical exertion
- get rid of bad habits: stop smoking and limit alcohol intake.
Special attention should be paid to the observance of these rules by those who already had episodes of pain in the right side, people with previous surgical interventions, diseases of the cardiovascular system. However, healthy people should try to adhere to the above rules, because they will help not only prevent the appearance of an unpleasant symptom, but also improve overall health.