Pyrantel - a universal drug for worms, is prescribed for the defeat of:
- With the eyes
A man takes medicine. Once in the intestine, the remedy acts on the myoneural synapses of the worms, which leads to a loss of mobility and the inability to attach to the intestinal walls. An immobilized parasite does not receive nutrients and soon dies. Destroyed worms are excreted by the body during bowel movements.
Pyrantel acts on worms of both sexes, but does not bring positive results when destroying parasite larvae, does not affect eggs. It is necessary to take a prophylactic medication in a few weeks, depending on the type of infection. The tool is not absorbed into the bloodstream, remains in the digestive tract, leaves the body along with feces and urine.
The composition and form of the drug
Pyrantel is made in the form of tablets for adults, syrup for children. In the package one or two blisters containing three tablets with a dosage of 250 mg. The pill is yellow, in the middle is a strip that helps to divide into small doses. Suspension is available in 15 ml vials, the total content of the active substance is 750 mg. Syrup yellow, viscous consistency, pleasant taste.
The main component producing the active action is pyrantel pamoat. Medications are natural ingredients. In tablets - starch, gelatin, talc, etc. In liquid - saccharin, citric acid, sucrose, food citrate, etc.
Indications for use
Symptoms of infection with parasites:
- Malfunction of the intestines,
- CNS disorders,
- Weight loss, an incessant feeling of hunger,
- Disturbance of developmental processes in children.
If there are signs of disease, consult a parasitologist. After the consultation, the doctor will prescribe a number of studies, and according to the results he will prescribe a treatment regimen. Pyrantel is used against worms with ascariasis, enterobiasis, hookworm, necatoria, trichocephalosis.
Dosage and regimen
The dosage and number of doses affects:
- Type of infection
- Age of the patient
- Body mass.
Pyrantel is allowed to take to children who have reached the age of six months in the form of a suspension. Children from twelve years of age and adults can choose any form of the drug. For a small child, syrup will be a convenient form. In solid form, the drug must be taken during or after breakfast, carefully chewing the pill, and drinking water.
Calculation of the correct dosage is made according to the formula: for one kilogram of weight ten milligrams of the drug. Instructions for use Pyrantel clearly prescribes the necessary dosage. When infestation with pinworms, ascaris, the agent is taken once in doses:
- 750 mg tablets or 15 ml of suspension for adults and for children over 12 years old, if the patient weighs more than 75 kg, the dose will be 1 g or 20 ml,
- A child from 6 to 12 years old should drink 500 mg of a solid or 10 ml of syrup,
- Babies from two to six years old are given one tablet or one scoop of suspension,
- Breast kiddies from six months to two years give half a measuring spoon of syrup.
In other types of helminth lesions treatment lasts for three days, the medicine is used once a day with a dosage calculated by the formula or for two days, increasing the dose to 20 mg of the drug per kg of the body.
The drug begins to act immediately after entering the intestine. Within twenty-four hours after ingestion, the parasites leave the body.
To prevent self-invasion, drinking the medicine a second time is allowed after 21 days from the first dose.
Contraindications and side effects
Pyrantel for worms is prohibited to take in the presence of liver disease, personal negative reaction to any of the components, and children under the age of six months. Accurate data on the penetration of drugs through the placenta is not. Pyrantel is prescribed for pregnant women in the later periods, if there is an urgent need for treatment. It is not advisable to use when breastfeeding.
Unpleasant consequences are observed during the process of therapy and disappear soon after the use of the medication. Possible manifestations from:
- CNS. The appearance of hallucinations, seizures, headaches, dizziness, disruption of the organs of sight and hearing, lethargy, drowsiness, irritability, insomnia.
- Gastrointestinal System. Violation of the bowel, the urge to vomit, dry mouth, a violation of the normal operation of the liver.
- Allergic reactions of the skin.
If the body reacts negatively to taking the medicine, you should immediately stop the treatment and consult a doctor.
After taking the active components of the drug begin to affect. As a result, the removal of worms occurs along with feces from the body. The result of taking Pyrantel:
- Worms are not found in the feces. The reason is an insufficient dose of the drug or lack of invasion.
- Immobilized whole individuals come out.
- Fragmented portions of parasites are displayed.
- Helminths came in digested form.
The condition of the derived worms affect:
- Individual bowel processes.
- The number and types of food eaten.
- Changes in the normal functioning of the digestive tract.
- Dosage and mode of action of the drug.
Features reception pyrantel
After pyrantel, you do not need to drink medicines that have a laxative effect, the medicine kills the parasites and helps to remove them from the body. When detecting enterobiasis, prophylactic therapy should be carried out for the whole family. Because of the side effects for the human nervous system, be more careful or temporarily abandon driving. The outcome of the course of treatment should be a re-examination for the presence of infection, to ensure the effectiveness of therapy. In case the worms have not passed, the repeated administration of pyrantel is prescribed. Reason: an inaccurate diagnosis, an incorrect dose of the medicine, a form of infection, when there are helminth eggs in the intestine that do not kill the pyrantel.
It is easy to become infected with parasites, therefore, prevention of helminthiasis for humans is an important action that must be carried out periodically.
Characteristics of the drug
Pyrantel is available in two dosage forms: tablets and suspensions. Tablets are suitable for the treatment of helminthiasis in adults, and the medicine in suspension is more suitable for children. The drug is prescribed even the youngest children, it can be taken by children under three years old. The composition of these two forms is slightly different. Both drugs contain the same active ingredient: Pyrantel pamoat, but the additional components are different. The drug in tablets sell three pieces per pack. This amount will be enough for one course.
The effect of the drug is to immobilize the parasites. Worms become paralyzed, their nerve impulses are blocked. The drug will act only on adult worms, so after three weeks the drug will need to be taken again. How to take the pills should be coordinated with the doctor, each case is individual, and therefore the dosage will be different. After Pirantel, you will not need to drink laxatives, in a few days after treatment, the worms will come out independently, they can be found in the feces.
The drug is not absorbed into the blood, so this remedy for worms affects only those parasites that are in the intestines.
The therapeutic effect reaches its maximum in an hour after taking the drug. Then he can get out of the body.
When prescribed medication
Before starting treatment, it is required to undergo a diagnosis. It is necessary to determine what kind of worms struck the human body, and whether they are present in it. Perhaps the cause of the ailment is another source.
Pyrantel helps to get rid of ascaris and pinworms, which often infest a child. With the help of this medicine you can get rid of such ailments as:
Pyrantel removes nematodes, whipworms, hookworms from the body. If a person is infected with other worms, another active drug should be selected. That is why diagnostics is very important. Otherwise, the drug may not bring any benefit.
Pyrantel is an excellent remedy for pinworms. These parasites are often found in children. It is quite difficult to get rid of these worms. The use of Pyrantel will facilitate the task, with its help you can completely clean the body from pinworms. The drug acts only on adult worms, pinworm eggs remain intact. This should not be forgotten when starting a treatment. To completely rid the body of pinworms, you need a second course. Repeated treatment prescribed at least three weeks.
The medicine can be drunk during pregnancy, but for nursing mothers it is not suitable. If you are prone to allergies, medicine should be taken with great caution. You should also be careful if there is liver failure.
How to take the drug
In order for the worms tablets to work, you need to take them correctly. Tablets prescribed for adults. Do not swallow the pill whole, it must first be thoroughly chewed. Wash down the chewed product with a small amount of liquid. If an unpleasant sensation appeared in the mouth, it is allowed to eat something to avoid nausea.
The dose is calculated individually, taking into account the weight of the patient. It is not necessary to prescribe yourself a dose yourself, a doctor should do it. The medication is taken once, it is advisable to drink it before bedtime..
Pyrantel is an excellent remedy for worms for children. For children, Pirantel is released in suspension, but from the age of three you can give the child pills. Children up to six years old will need one tablet at the reception. Children from 6 to 12 years old - two. Those who are 12 years old, drink an adult dose - three pills at the reception. Adults are prescribed three tablets, and with a weight of more than 80 kg you will need to drink 4 pieces.
Suspension prescribed to infants from six months. In order to accurately measure the medicine, there is a measuring spoon in the box. Children give 2.5 ml, and children from two years to six - 5 ml. A child over 6 years old is prescribed 10 ml. Teenagers are prescribed pills, but it should be borne in mind that the suspension acts more gently and does not cause nausea. Therefore, a teenager can be given 15 ml of liquid funds.
After the medicine is drunk, it will begin its action against the parasites. People who have many worms in their body may feel unwell during treatment. You may experience nausea, a rash on the skin, pain in the stomach. This is due to the fact that the worms will gradually die, their decay products emit toxins that poison the body. This process is accompanied by unpleasant symptoms that will pass when the worms leave the body.
To alleviate the condition of a person, you can take an antihistamine and lie down.
In most cases, the worms from Pirantel do not die, they come out paralyzed during defecation.
Despite the fact that Pirantel is a fairly safe drug, the risk of side effects is still present. Unpleasant sensations can affect different organs. On the part of the digestive system, the stomach will suffer, intestinal disorders are possible. A person may experience vomiting.
Taking the medicine may affect the state of the nervous system. The patient will experience anxiety, you may experience problems with sleep. In very rare cases, hallucinations are possible. Among other things, there is a risk of an allergic reaction, manifested by a rash on the skin.
The same symptoms are characteristic for drug overdose. In this case, you need to flush the stomach and call a doctor.
Before you begin treatment, you need to undergo a diagnosis, find out how Pyrantel works, how worms come out. After a course of therapy, you need to re-examine to make sure that the parasites have left the body.
From the video you will learn about the best folk remedies for worms:
The doctor is a gastroenterologist, a proctologist-oncologist, who carries out the diagnosis and therapy of various diseases of the gastrointestinal tract, the intestine, including an oncological one. Conducts esophagogastroduodenoscopy and colonoscopy. Advises on the results of endoscopic, morphological studies.
When should I use Pyrantel?
Worm invasions represent a great danger to the human body. The threat to health is aggravated by the fact that detecting worms is not always easy. This can be done by indirect manifestations, among which the main place is occupied by constant weakness, nervousness, headaches, digestive disorders, weight loss, exacerbation of allergic reactions.
Chronic forms of helminthic invasions directly threaten human life. Therefore, it is important to prevent contamination by worms, strictly following the rules of hygiene.
For the prevention and treatment is perfect Pyrantel. After applying this tool, the parasites will leave the human body without additional stimulation. The effectiveness of the drug is recognized worldwide, so it is included in the main list of drugs WHO.
The drug has a depressant effect on most species of common worms. Its active substance paralyzes, inhibits the vital activity of parasites, kills ascaris, pinworms, hookworm, the simplest. After taking this medication paralyzed live or dead worms are excreted in the process of defecation. At the same time, toxins do not have time to be absorbed by the body, since the neutralized worms quickly leave the body.
In the treatment of helminth infections, some features of the drug should be considered:
- if the worms are found in one person, then the anthelmintic therapy should be carried out within the whole family,
- full treatment does not require the use of laxatives, because the worms come out after the action of the remedy, patients do not even notice
- small children are better to take a sweet suspension, because it has a milder effect on the body, does not cause side effects,
- After taking the medication course, it is necessary to carry out a control analysis of feces,
- Often, treatment may be accompanied by dizziness, so this factor should be taken into account for people whose work is related to concentration.
How does Pyrantel on worms?
Antihelminthic Pirantel blocks the vital activity of the muscle tissue of parasites, paralyzing them. As a result, helminths are completely immobilized: they lose the ability to eat, breathe, and multiply. As a result, the worms and their larvae die and are taken out in a natural way.
Due to the increased resistance to the Pirantel larval forms, sometimes a repeated course of treatment is required, which should be carried out not earlier than in a week.
It is important to take into account the development cycle of helminths, avoiding the deposition of eggs. In addition to common pinworms and ascaris, the drug effectively destroys ankilost, which destroy the blood, often causing anemia.
Pyrantel is poorly absorbed by the mucous membrane of the stomach and intestines, so the likelihood of poisoning the body with toxins when using it is minimized. The drug does not destroy the migratory helminth larvae, and kills them only in the early stages of development.
The active substance that destroys helminths accumulates as much as possible in the blood approximately three hours after taking the drug.
How does the drug on worms?
Pyrantel is an anthelmintic drug that acts on roundworms (nematodes). It is well-known for causing muscular blockade in helminth-sensitive worms, which simplifies their gentle elimination from the gastrointestinal tract. In addition, this drug prevents their migration from the digestive tract to other organs. Pyrantel acts on both sexes of helminths, at their early stage of development, as well as on adults, but does not destroy the larvae. Therefore, the treatment must be repeated. Pyrantel is also effective against Giardia, as it affects these protozoa, at all stages of development.
The drug passes through the intestines, but is not absorbed, but is excreted unchanged from the body. The highest concentration of the drug is in the intestine, therefore, intestinal parasites are most destroyed. Immobilized worms are very gently removed from the body. During the passage of the second stage of treatment, it is necessary to take into account the specificity of the life cycle of specific worms so that the grown-up individuals do not have time to lay eggs.
Pyrantel has a destructive effect on the following parasites:
- American necator,
The drug is effective in necatoriasis, enterobiasis, ascariasis, giardiasis, ankilostomidoze. After its use, the parasites very quickly leave the body, since it not only has a detrimental effect on helminths and protozoa, but also helps to restore the affected organs.
The mechanism of action of Pirantel is as follows:
- The drug inhibits the nervous and muscular activity of the parasites. Immobilized parasites are easily removed from the body.
- Such an impact on the worms does not allow them to move or fixed to the intestinal walls.
- Immobilized parasites remain powerless and die very quickly.
Pharmacokinetics of the drug
Pyrantel is practically not absorbed from the gastrointestinal tract. Also, there is still no data on the penetration of the drug through the placenta and breast milk, as well as in relation to the distribution of the drug in the tissues and body fluids. Most of the drug (about 90%) is eliminated from the intestine in its original form, and only 10% is excreted by the kidneys also in its original form, or in the form of metabolic products.
The drug is admitted in tablet form for adults and in the form of a sweet suspension for children. Tablets of yellow color with a dividing line in the center. The active substance is Pyrantel Pomoat 250mg. Also included in the preparation:
- food gelatin,
- medicinal gum,
- magnesium stearate powder,
- silica powder.
Pirantel's suppository is a sweet chocolate-flavored syrup. The composition of the suspension includes:
- food saccharin,
- food citrate,
- natural sucrose,
- sodium methylparaben,
- food citric acid,
- Sorbitol alcohol 70%.
The drug is excreted along with urine and feces, but more with feces. By-products of metabolism are eliminated from the body after 24 hours. Pyrantel tablets are stored in a dry dark place inaccessible to children, at a temperature not exceeding 25 ° C, the shelf life is 3 years.
How to apply Pyrantel
The instructions attached to the drug, describes the mode of reception of Pirantel. If the instructions could not clarify some issues, then you should resort to the help of a doctor. Do not self-prescribe a drug and a dose, it is fraught with serious consequences.
The drug is ingested once a day. The use of this drug does not affect the functioning of the body, so there is no need to take additional laxatives.
When taking the drug, it must be thoroughly chewed and then swallowed.
According to one rule, both children and adults should take Pirantel: 10 milligrams of the drug per 1 kilogram of body weight per 24 hours. You can not take more than 10mg of the drug per day. The number of pills prescribed will depend on the patient’s body weight and age.
If you do not appoint Pirantel according to an individual scheme, then it is used depending on the age and body weight of the patient. The following dosages of tablets and suspensions are recommended:
- children from 3 to 6 years old are prescribed 1 tablet 1 time per day, suspension 1 measure - 5 ml (one teaspoon),
- from 6 to 12 years, 2 tablets 1 time per day, suspension 2 measures -10 mg,
- over 12 years old and adults weighing up to 75 kg take 3 tablets 1 time per day or 3 measures -15 ml,
- adults weighing more than 75 kg 4 tablets 1 time per day or 4 measurements -20ml
To prevent re-invasion (re-infection), the course of treatment is repeated 3 weeks after the first course. The drug is taken 1 time per day.
Additional information on the admission of Pirantel:
- The drug is taken at any convenient time, regardless of the meal.
- It is necessary to repeat the obligatory treatment course three weeks after the first, if nematodes (roundworms) became the causative agents of the parasitosis. That is how long it takes parasites to become an adult, but it does not lay eggs.
- If only roundworms have been found in a patient, then they can be treated with Pyrantel at 5 milligrams per 1 kilogram of weight.
- With massive invasions, some types of hookworm prescribe 20 milligrams of the drug per kilogram of body weight. This dose is consumed at a time for 2 days.
- The drug is contraindicated in serious liver diseases.
Pyrantel is strictly contraindicated in case of individual intolerance to all components of the drug. Very carefully the drug should be used for liver failure, in children up to 6 months, during pregnancy and lactation.
Currently, research in this direction has not been conducted, and this means that its reception is not contraindicated for pregnant and lactating women. Only with one condition that the intended benefit of the drug is higher than the risk to the fetus. As for nursing women, the treatment is better to postpone until the complete cessation of lactation, if there is no emergency.
Application of Pyrantel is contraindicated in the following cases:
- infancy up to 6 months
- individual intolerance to the drug substances,
- myasthenia gravis (acute stage).
Take with caution when:
- liver failure
- liver diseases,
Features of the application of Pyrantel
This antiparasitic drug has some features of use. They are as follows:
- after Pirantel, an additional intake of laxatives is not required, the worms themselves go out together with feces,
- in the treatment of enterobiasis and giardiasis, all family members should be treated at the same time,
- after the course of treatment with Pirantel, it is necessary to pass an analysis of feces on the eggs of the worm or to do a scraping for enterobiosis, if necessary, to perform a serological study of blood for antibodies,
- children under 2 years old are prescribed Pirantel suspension,
- sometimes there are side effects in the form of dizziness, even after the correct use of the drug, so you should be careful in driving or when doing work that requires attention and quick response.
Many patients ask how worms come out and after how long they leave the body after taking the drug. Answer this question accurately, alas, can not. The first worms come out immediately after taking the medicine, and this process ends after a complete cleansing of the upper section of the small intestine.
Drug Interactions and Analogs
You can not combine taking Pirantel with the drug piperazine, since in this case there is a weakening of the effect of the first. These drugs are antagonists. Analogues of Pirantel according to the content of the active substance are:
Analogs on the anthelmintic effect:
- Piperazine adipate,
- Telmox 100
However, worms tablets do not always have the desired effect. There are cases when, after treatment with Pirantel, the worms left the body only partially. Therefore, before taking this drug, you should prepare for such nuances, which the instruction is silent about. The drug does not have the expected result because of an unserious approach to treatment. Most often, this is an incorrectly selected dose, or the drug is aimed at destroying the wrong parasites.
Treatment by Pyrantel should be carried out only when helminthiasis has been confirmed by diagnosis. Since Pyrantel is not used as a prophylactic agent. The active substance contained in the drug immobilizes parasites and removes them in this state. This is a specific effect of this drug. Sometimes fragments of parasites are derived from the body, which indicates their digestion. But this fact should not frighten or alarm, in this case, the parasites were just in the intestines for a long time.
How to be if the drug was ineffective?
First of all, undergo a re-diagnosis to identify parasites. Perhaps they simply were not in the body. Then, once again carefully study the instructions and consult with your doctor. If the dosage and method of use were absolutely correct, and the effect is not observed, you need to contact a specialist to replace the drug.
Instructions for use of the drug
Before use, be sure to read the instructions. This is important because it contains all the information about this medicine. Recommended doses will help to undergo effective treatment. The doctor may also prescribe a drug for parasites - Intoxis. Instructions for use are highlighted here.
Each type of worms requires a different dosage and duration of treatment. Therefore, it is necessary to consider this information before use.
- For adults with a body weight less than 75 kg and children over 12 years old a maximum of 3 tablets (750 mg) can be taken.
- And those who weigh more than 75 kg - 4 tablets (1000 mg).
Treatment regimen for ascariasis and enterobiosis:
Doctors most often prescribe Pirantel for ascariasis. It provokes paralysis of ripened worms and contributes to their elimination from the body in a natural way. Symptoms and treatment of ascariasis in children can be found here.
- Suspension 250 mg / 5 ml fl. 15 ml tablets 250 mg taken with the calculation of 5 mg per 5 kg. body mass, one time.
- After 2-3 weeks, the treatment should be repeated.
- This is necessary for the destruction of eggs and larvae that are left in the body of adult worms.
When enterobioze take Pirantel:
- With the calculation of 10-12.5 mg per 1 kg of body weight.
- Children over 12 years old and adults can take 750 mg with a weight greater than 75 kg.
- Children aged 6 months and up to two years - 125 mg.
- Children older than two years and up to 6-500 mg.
- After three weeks the treatment must be repeated.
Treatment of ankilostomidosis and necatoria:
Treatment of ankilostomidosis and necatoria is carried out according to the same scheme:
- 10 mg per 1 kg of body weight for three days.
This scheme is relevant when nekaroze with ascariasis.
Massive necatoria invasions are treated according to the scheme:
- 20 mg per 1 kg of weight, for two days.
Instructions for use contains detailed information on the dosage account.
Pyrantel is a drug manufactured in Europe. It is prescribed for adults and small children. The main active ingredient is pyrantel.
Its main advantage:
- helminth paralysis,
- excretion from the body in a natural way (together with feces).
Other drugs in the composition, which are albendazole, kill helminths in the human body. This leads to intoxication and the use of additional medications.
In addition, this drug has additional benefits:
- During the period of treatment is not necessary to follow a diet.
- There is no need to use laxatives and do enemas.
- The drug quickly acts on helminths.
- Almost non-toxic. This allows you to take infants.
- Can be taken regardless of the period of helminthiasis. The drug has the same effect on matured worms and their larvae.
Can not cope with parasites?
Helminths are dangerous for the body, their metabolic products are toxic and provoke inflammatory processes where they live.
It should immediately begin treatment! Protect yourself and your loved ones!
In such cases, our readers recommend using the newest tool - Tibetta parasites ’Tibetan collection.
It has the following properties:
- Kills more than 120 types of parasites for 1 course
- It has an anti-inflammatory effect.
- Splits and removes eggs and larvae of parasites
- Destroys pathogenic bacteria and viruses
- Removes toxins and toxins
How does it work?
The main action of Pirantel is the blocking of neuromuscular functions in worms, which leads to their paralysis.
Effective drug in this way:
- When the active substance enters the body, the helminths cannot continue development, as they become paralyzed.
- Then they are eliminated from the body.
- Human health is not affected by this process.
- Side effects are very rare.
- That is why this drug is prescribed to young children.
The only drawback is the need to repeat the course of treatment, for such reasons:
- Because at one time it is impossible to destroy adult worms and their larvae.
- Moreover, worms lay a large number of eggs per day.
- They turn into larvae in a few weeks.
- Therefore, the treatment is repeated after 2-3 weeks.
- Only then will the application of Pirantel be effective.
The main substance is little absorbed in the digestive organs. More than half is excreted with feces in unchanged form. This drug is unlike other antihelminthic drugs. It is practically non-toxic. It also comes in the form of a suspension, which can be easily given to children.
Stories of our readers!
"I buy a remedy for parents. They live in the village and the risk of infestation with parasites is great. They take it for prevention. I don't want to drink medicines with a lot of side effects, so I chose this elixir.
The product is based on bee propolis, which has a pronounced antibacterial, antiviral effect. "I like the drug because it is completely natural, on herbs, and for prevention it is very important."
Like any drug, Pyrantel has adverse reactions. But they happen very rarely. At the same time it is necessary to stop treatment immediately.
Among them are:
- Nausea (rarely accompanied by vomiting), diarrhea, abdominal cramps, loss of appetite, frequent urge to stool.
- Headaches, dizziness, lack of sleep, lethargy, increased fatigue, drowsiness.
- Very rarely - hearing loss, hallucinations, clouding of consciousness.
- Rash on skin, urticaria, itching.
After treatment with this drug, the worms can not leave the body in a holistic way. There are problems that may arise, and they are not listed in the instructions for use.
Therefore, before you begin treatment, it is necessary to consider the following information:
- If the treatment with Pyrantel did not bring the desired result, then the reason for this is in the wrong application.
- Because of this, the person incorrectly calculated the desired dosage.
- Another option may be that the medicine was used for other purposes.
- First of all, a person must make sure that there are worms in his body.
- Pyrantel is not used for the purpose of prevention.
- It is significantly different from other antihelminthic drugs. He does not kill worms, but paralyzes. This is a very important advantage.
A man after applying Pirantel can see fragments of adult worms in the feces. This suggests that they are digested and excreted naturally.
In such cases, you can not panic, because it indicates the effectiveness of the drug. It is confirmed that for a long time the worms lived in the human intestine.
If a person is confident that the treatment with this drug did not bring the desired result, then he should check a few points:
- the presence of worms in the body,
- correct application
- determination of dosage.
If everything is correct, then you need to choose another anthelmintic drug. Better yet, contact a parasitologist.
There are analogues that can be used in such cases. For example: Pyrantel-Visva, Wormil, Gelmintoks, Nemozol. If Nemozol assigned to children, then reviews of moms can be read here.
Not only parasitologists, but other doctors recommend Pyrantel. At the moment - this is one of the most effective antihelminthic drugs. It is characterized by low toxicity, a rare occurrence of side effects. Unlike other similar drugs, Pirantel is prescribed to infants.
Reviews of parasitologists:
- Nadezhda Dmitrievna, parasitologist: “Over the long years of work in parasitology, it has long been convinced that Pirantel is the safest anthelmintic drug. It has an excellent mechanism of action: it is not absorbed into the bloodstream, does not affect the functionality of the liver, is almost completely excreted from the body, after use it acts on worms after a few hours. To understand how to take pyrantel 250 tablets in adults, you must not only read the instructions, but also consult with your doctor. Naturally, I do not prescribe this drug to women during pregnancy. Especially in the first trimester. In the following terms, treatment is possible if there is an urgent need. I like very much that for small children a separate form of release is made - suspension. It is convenient to give it to young children older than 6 months. But in this case only the doctor should prescribe the dosage. ”
- Andrei Pavlovich, a parasitologist: “Now there is a huge range of anthelmintic drugs. But most of them lead to the death of helminths directly in the human body. This leads to intoxication and poor health of the patient. But not in the case of Pirantel. It is distinguished by its effect on worms and practically does not harm human health. Therefore, I really like this drug. Unfortunately, it does not act on all types of parasites. Pyrantel is prescribed most often. Especially with enterobiasis and ascariasis. Rarely, patients complain of adverse reactions. There may be a decrease in appetite and stomach discomfort. This is due to the fact that worms become immobile. But the drug itself does not cause such reactions. "
The price depends on the form of release, for example:
- suspension costs approximately 60-70 rubles ,
- pills - 30-35 rubles .
The composition of the drug
There are two forms: tablets and suspension. The first ones contain pyrantel pamoat as a main component and additional components. These include corn starch, sodium carboxymethyl starch, purified talc and magnesium stearate.
The Pirantel suspension has the same active substance, but the list of auxiliary components is markedly different. It consists of propylparaben, xanthan gum, sorbitol, methylparaben, polysorbate, purified water, sucrose, dyes and flavors.
Indications for use of the drug
Pyrantel is prescribed for:
In this case, children under 3 years of age are recommended to use the product exclusively in the form of a suspension, and after this age pills can also be given.
The use of Pyrantel is contraindicated in the following cases:
- in the presence of individual intolerance of the active substance or the auxiliary components of the drug,
- with myasthenia (a disease of the nervous system, which manifests itself in increasing muscle weakness).
Drug treatment during lactation and pregnancy is not prohibited, but is carried out only when the planned benefits for the woman are much higher than the possible risks to the newborn or fetus. With special care it is necessary to give Pirantel to a child under 6 months of age. In this case, the dosage required to get rid of worms, is calculated individually. Patients with liver failure and other diseases also require special attention.
Instructions for use
Pirantel's pill is taken during or immediately after a meal. It does not need to drink water, just chew well. The required dosage will depend on the age of the patient and the type of disease. The instruction provides the following options:
1. In the presence of worms in children 3-6 years. It is necessary to give the child one pill of the drug (250 mg).
2. Pyrantel for children aged 6-12 years. Take two pills.
3. If the worms in a child over 12 years old or an adult who weighs less than 75 kilograms, you need to use three tablets.
4. If the adult body weight is more than 75 kilograms, take 4 pills (1000 mg).
5. When enterobiasis, ascariasis or mixed infection with worms in adults. A single dose at a dose of 10 mg per kilogram of body weight.
The drug in the form of a suspension should be drunk immediately after breakfast. The dosage of Pyrantel will be as follows:
1. During enterobiosis, ascariasis or mixed infection with these types of worms. It is necessary to take a single dose of 10 mg per kilogram of body weight.
2. During ankilostomiasis, as well as various combinations of infection with worms (ascariasis and necorozosis, etc.), treatment can be carried out for two or three days. In the first case, the dose of the drug in the form of a suspension will be 20 mg per kilogram of the patient’s body weight. In the second, you will need to take 10 mg / kg per day.
3. If the worms in a child aged 6 months to 2 years. The instruction provides for a single use in the amount of 125 mg.
4. If the parasites in children aged 2 to 6 years. The application guide says that 250 mg of suspension will be required.
5. If the child is from 6 to 12 years old. For children of this age, you must give the drug in the amount of 500 mg.
It is also possible to re-use the suspension three weeks after the start of treatment. This is necessary in order to prevent self-invasion. The dosage remains the same. Worms come out after Pirantel after only a few days.
Information about overdose of Pirantel to date, no. In the event of unforeseen reactions of the body, it is necessary to provide symptomatic therapy, which may differ depending on the situation. The guide to the drug says that at the moment there is no special antidote.
Worms after the use of Pyrantel very quickly removed from the body, which is its undoubted advantage. However, the drug may cause some side effects. Instructions to the pills warns that they can provoke a decrease in appetite, headache and dizziness, diarrhea, vomiting, stomach pain, drowsiness or insomnia, fever, allergic reactions. In more rare cases, hallucinations, confusion, increased transaminase activity of the liver, and hearing impairment can occur.
Suspension has a more gentle way of action and in most cases is well tolerated by patients. Despite the fact that the instruction warns about the possible occurrence of the same side effects as in tablets, most often (very rarely) they consist only in mild nausea, vomiting or diarrhea.
Prevention of worms and special instructions
Prevention of infection with worms can be carried out not only through regular hand washing, fresh fruits and vegetables, but also medications. Nobody denies the effectiveness of the first method, but even those who constantly monitor cleanliness may still suspect the presence of parasites.
Pyrantel for the prevention of worms is recommended to take twice a year. This is best done at the beginning of the off-season (spring and autumn). The description of the means suggests that the required dosage of the suspension or pills remains the same as during the treatment. Such prevention will help both the child and the adult in a timely manner to get rid of the parasites or to prevent infection with them.
The presence of such symptoms as:
1. bitterness in the mouth, putrid odor,
2. frequent disorders of the gastrointestinal tract, alternating constipation with diarrhea,
3. fatigue, general lethargy,
indicate the body is intoxicated by parasites. Treatment must begin now, as the worms that live in the digestive tract or respiratory system.
- If worms are found in at least one of the family members, absolutely everyone living with him should receive therapy.
- Prohibited the use of a laxative during treatment with Pirantel.
- To avoid reinfection should be cleaned with bleach and cleaning things. This will help get rid of parasite eggs.
- At the end of treatment you need to re-pass feces. Laboratory analysis will determine the presence in the body of worms or their larvae. Based on this information it will be possible to draw conclusions about the need to re-take the medication.
Reviews of parasitologists say that Pirantel (regardless of whether it is a suspension or a pill) is one of the best means intended both to combat worms and to prevent their appearance. But nevertheless, before starting to use it, you should consult with your doctor and pass all the necessary tests.
Pyrantel from worms in 2 forms
- Tablet - yellow capsule pills with a dividing line on one side. Each tablet contains 250 mg of pyrantellamate as an active ingredient and auxiliary components - gelatin, methylparaben, starch, gum, talc, silica, magnesium stearate, etc. The pills (3 pieces) in blisters of aluminum foil are enclosed.
- In suspension - yellowish liquid syrup, each 50 ml of which contains 250 mg of the active substance Pyrantel Paomat and additional ingredients - sodium chloride, methyl and propyl parabens, sucrose, citric acid, purified water, etc. The suspension is poured into dark glass bottles in a complete set includes a measuring cap.
Tablets are allowed for use by adults and children from 2 years of age, the suspension is assigned to children from six months, with the need it can be used by adults.
How do worms come after Pyrantel?
When it enters the human body, the active substance blocks the nerve endings in the muscles of the parasites, which immobilizes the worms and deprives the ability to stay on the intestinal walls. As a result, worms are easily excreted along with feces. Individuals in the early stages of development and having reached puberty are subject to negative influence. The tool has no effect on the larvae during their stay in the muscles, so after 2 to 3 weeks after treatment, the prophylactic course is mandatory.
Pyrantel absorption from the gastrointestinal tract is at a low level, the concentration in the plasma of only 0.05-0.13 mg / ml is achieved within 1 to 3 hours. Partially, the metabolism of the substance is performed in the liver, 7% comes out in the composition of urine, the rest - with feces.
Pirantel acts fairly quickly - if you take a pill the night before, the very next day the parasites will leave the body along with the morning feces.
- from 2 to 6 years old - 250 mg each,
- from 6 to 12 years - 500 mg
- adolescents weighing up to 75 kg - 750 mg each,
- adults, weighing 75 kg - 1 g.
The tablet should be chewed and swallowed, drinking a sufficient amount (about 1 cup) of water. So that the child could eat the medicine without any whims, it is recommended to grind the pill, crushing it on a hard surface with a knife or spoon, mix it with a small amount of sweetened liquid.
- from 6 months to 2 years - 2.5 ml,
- from 2 to 6 years - 5 ml,
- from 6 to 12 years old - 10 ml each,
- 12 and older, weighing up to 75 kg - 15 ml each,
- for adults with a body weight of 75 kg - 20 ml.
Pre-bottle with suspension need to shake several times. To determine the amount of medication, it is recommended to use a measuring cap.
Peculiarities of treatment with Pyrantel
- During treatment, no laxative is prescribed.
- The duration of the course depends on the type of parasite: with ascaris, a single dose of the drug is sufficient, with pinworms, treatment is carried out for 3 days, with necatoriasis and ankilostomidoze, the dosage is calculated according to the scheme - 20 mg / kg of Pyrantel per day for 3 days.
- The indicated dose is taken once a day, regardless of the meal, but preferably in the morning. If the course is more than one day, then the medicine is taken at the same time. In the presence of excess weight in a patient, a single dose may be too large, in this case it is recommended to divide it into 2 - 3 doses.
- In the treatment of pinworms, the course is repeated after three weeks.
- With enterobiasis, all family members, as well as domestic animals, undergo preventive treatment.
- Upon completion of therapy, control tests are taken.
In the process of treatment with Pirantel, caution should be exercised when driving any mechanisms and vehicles, etc., work that requires concentration and attention, accuracy of psychological and motor responses.
Considering that Pyrantel is absorbed from the intestine into the blood in small quantities, the signs of toxic poisoning are extremely rare and rather weak, even if an increased dose was taken. The negative effects of an overdose are nausea and vomiting, diarrhea, exhaustion. The specific antidote is absent, if necessary, is performed gastric lavage. In addition, a physician's call is necessary, as it is important to monitor the work of the heart and respiratory system.
Interaction with other drugs
Pyrantel is not prescribed together with Levamisole, since the toxic effect on the body increases and the amount of Theophylline in the blood increases. Invalid joint reception with Piperazin, since the latter significantly reduces the effect of Pirantel.
Store the drug should be in a dry, dark place at an ambient temperature not higher than 25 degrees out of reach of children. If the bottle with the suspension is opened, the tool can be used within a month.
Analogs of Pirantel
- According to the active substance: Nemocid, Gelmintoks, Pirantel paomat.
- According to anthelmintic effect: Vermox, Dekaris, Nemozol, centaury grass, tansy flowers, Mebendazole, Piperazin, pumpkin seeds, Sanoxal, etc.
Regardless of which drug is chosen for the treatment of helminthiasis, during treatment and several weeks after its completion, special attention must be paid to personal hygiene. Washing the underwear and bed linen in hot water and then ironing it, timely cutting the nails and washing your hands will eliminate the risk of re-infection.
Despite the fact that Pirantel is one of the safest and least toxic anthelmintic drugs, it is recommended to consult a physician and be examined before purchasing a drug.It is necessary to take a remedy for parasites only after receiving the results of the research, while the specialist will take an interest in the general condition of the body to detect contraindications, calculate the necessary dose in accordance with the age and weight of the patient.