Frequent abdominal distension torments many people and occurs when gas accumulates in the stomach and intestines.
Some of the symptoms of this condition include distension of the stomach, frequent flatulence, general discomfort, abdominal pain and a change in the size of the abdomen.
Abdominal distention refers to the feeling of fullness and tightness in it, even without the consumption of food. The swollen sensation is not only present in the stomach, but also felt in the intestinal tract.
This is a general health condition that many people cannot identify correctly.
Nearly 30-40 percent of people experience bloating. The main causes of a swollen abdomen include, first of all, an upset stomach (especially after taking unhealthy food).
Bloating is also caused by other disorders of the digestive tract.
Frequent abdominal distension, the causes of which can be very diverse, requires special attention from the patient. There are several predominant factors that cause bloating:
Water retention Irritable bowel syndrome. Hormonal changes. The appearance of various diseases.
Excessive water retention is usually the result of increased salt intake. This condition also indicates low water consumption.
When a person drinks an insufficient amount of water, his body “deceives himself”, feeling that he needs to store water.
As a result, the body enters a “starvation mode” and stores water in its cells for future use. This process leads to a feeling of “bloatedness”.
Occasionally, abdominal distension may be a symptom of other diseases of the celiac disease.
The condition may also be associated with human consumption of such products for which he has an allergy. For example, many people suffer from lactose intolerance to this type of food allergy.
Therefore, when they consume milk or other milk-based products, such as yogurt and cheese, they experience bloating, nausea, belching, gas, stomach cramps and diarrhea.
Upper abdominal discomfort during bloating is caused by swallowing air, known as aerophagy.
Ingestion of air can occur during eating, talking, smoking, breathing through the mouth (if mucus accumulates in the nasal passages), or even in the presence of stress.
Bloating can also occur due to overeating or eating certain foods that are very difficult to digest.
Examples of such foods are high-fiber vegetables such as cabbage, beans and sprouts, high-sugar foods such as sweets and soft drinks, starchy foods such as potatoes, pasta and bread, and alcoholic beverages, especially beer. .
A swelling in the upper abdomen may occur due to the structures located there. For example, the pancreas, which is localized near the stomach, can become inflamed and lead to a disease known as pancreatitis.
Increased alcohol consumption and the presence of gallstones can cause this condition, which almost always causes bloating and severe abdominal pain.
Swelling and pain that occurs immediately after eating, accompanied by vomiting, diarrhea, cramps, loss of appetite, fatigue and fever, can be caused by food poisoning.
Food poisoning with bloating is often caused due to the consumption of products that are infected with parasites, viruses, worms or bacteria.
Other causes of bloating are constipation and complicated bowel movements. In this condition, there is a difficulty in the process of defecation. The excretion of feces occurs rarely, sometimes less than three times a week, which leads to the accumulation of waste and toxins in the body.
This waste leads to the fact that gases are beginning to actively release and there is bloating. Other symptoms of constipation are heavy and dark feces, pain in the abdomen and difficulty in passing stools.
Stomach swelling and pain in it may be associated with a disease known as irritable bowel syndrome, in which food passes very quickly through the intestines.
IBS, in addition to gastric distention, causes manifestations such as constipation, diarrhea, flatulence, cramps in the stomach, giving to the liver.
IBS is exacerbated by stress, consumption of alcohol, caffeine and certain medications.
Splenomegaly is a chronic disease that often occurs in combination with irritable bowel syndrome.
In this state, the gases enter the so-called “trap” in the colon, which leads to symptoms such as muscle spasms, bloating, pain and discomfort in the affected area.
Abdominal distention and pain in its upper parts can be caused by functional dyspepsia or indigestion caused by a number of factors:
certain conditions, such as abnormal functioning of the muscles and nerves of the gastrointestinal tract, bacterial infection of the small intestine, menstruation in women, inflammation of the colon, colitis, taking certain medications, NSAIDs (nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs).
Due to functional dyspepsia, a person may experience discomfort, pain and bloating in the upper part of it (above), especially at night and in the morning on waking.
Due to another serious disease (celiac disease) the wall of the small intestine is destroyed and, thus, the body is not able to digest gluten.
This disease makes a person weak and can cause symptoms such as abdominal pain, bloating, constipation, vomiting, weight loss, indigestion, unpleasant smell of feces.
Disorders of motor activity cause unusual movements in the muscles of the intestine. A person suffering from this disorder may feel bloating, including in the upper abdomen.
Helicobacter pylori is a bacterium that causes many disorders and even ulcers. This bacterium destroys the wall of the stomach, allowing the digestive juices to penetrate the tissue of the lining of the stomach and irritate it.
This bacterium leads to a number of symptoms in the stomach, which include:
abdominal distention (flatulence), feeling of nausea, belching after eating, weight loss, gas formation, feeling of pain in the stomach, sometimes - pain, radiating to the liver.
It is very important that the causes of bloating and stomach pains are correctly identified. Those people who suffer from this condition usually prefer to treat it at home, making changes in their diet and lifestyle.
However, in the case of persistent symptoms, it is necessary to visit a doctor to diagnose and treat such an unpleasant condition as flatulence.
Foods rich in refined oil and fat are difficult to digest. Improper digestion causes excessive gassing (more than the normal amount), which leads to various symptoms of an enlarged stomach.
Symptoms of a swollen stomach (pain, constipation, etc.) are often confused with other digestive problems. Below are some of the visible signs of bloating.
Abnormal gas production is one of the main symptoms of bloating. Since food is not digested properly, it produces gases other than those normally secreted, such as methane, sulfur, hydrogen, and carbon dioxide.
Drinking carbonated drinks contribute to the appearance of a swollen stomach after they are consumed and eventually worsen the condition of the stomach.
Constant release of excess gas due to incomplete digestion leads to an increase in the size of the stomach and a feeling of heaviness in it (the stomach is literally bursting).
Secreted gases accumulate in the stomach and intestinal tract, which, in turn, causes the walls of these organs to expand.
This common process leads to uncomfortable stretching of the stomach, sometimes it increases several times.
Another notable symptom is frequent gas or flatulence. In contrast to the usual odorless meteorism, gases, which are released due to a swollen stomach, have an unpleasant odor.
Common discomfort, especially after consuming food, can be another symptom of flatulence. Abdominal discomfort is often accompanied by anxiety and difficulty breathing, especially at night.
Symptoms of a swollen stomach also include abdominal pain, which can range from mild to severe, depending on the severity of the person's condition.
It is also noted that abdominal pain occurs mainly after taking a large amount of food, as well as at night.
A change in the size of the intestines (to a certain extent), especially before and after meals, occurs frequently and is generally normal.
However, if the size of the lower part of the abdominal cavity changes significantly (the gut is bursting) over several days, then this is one of the signs of flatulence.
If the above symptoms of abdominal distention persist for more than 3-4 days, aggravated at night, it is recommended to consult a doctor.
In addition, any symptom accompanied by severe abdominal pain may be a sign of any serious illness.
Therefore, it is always better to correctly diagnose this condition, check the condition of all organs from the inside without wasting time, and carry out treatment to avoid any medical complications after detecting a regular swelling.
It is important to remember that prevention and preventive measures are always better than any, even the most effective treatment.
Most often, similar symptoms occur in people suffering from diseases that affect the intestines and disrupt its normal functioning. Such diseases can be:
- intestinal obstruction - a violation of its motor function, which creates an obstacle for the timely movement of food consumed by humans through the digestive tract
- lactose intolerance - the absence of enzymes responsible for the assimilation of milk sugar by the body,
- dysbiosis (dysbacteriosis) is a violation of the microbial balance inside the intestine, as a result of which microorganisms destabilizing its work produce various kinds of gases: ammonia, hydrogen sulfide, methane, etc. ,
- irritable bowel syndrome or IBS - a disease accompanied by the periodic occurrence of acute pressing and cutting pains in the abdomen, a violation of the intestinal patency, even in the absence of organic causes,
- pancreatitis is a disease that affects the pancreas, as a result of which the so-called “self-digestion” process takes place in the body - enzymes secreted by the gland destroy its structure,
- tympania - the accumulation of gases in the cicatricial part and the increase in body size,
- Celiac disease is a disease that results in damage to the intestinal surface due to the release of toxins. A very rare disease, the likelihood of which in each individual person is approximately 1/1000.
Such problems with bloating of the intestines can be caused not only by the disease, but also the neglect of the diet and certain rules and norms of food intake. Bloating may occur as a result of:
- uncontrolled consumption of beverages with a high concentration of gases: lemonade, kvass, soda, etc. Despite the fact that a single use of negative effects on the body of a healthy person will not be observed, since the intestinal walls quickly absorb gases, the abuse of carbonated drinks leads to their excessive accumulation,
- getting into the stomach a large amount of air during a meal. This happens when a person is in too much of a hurry and neglects thoroughly chewing food,
- use in large quantities of products, processing of which in the stomach causes the fermentation process, which ultimately leads to the formation of gases. Such products include all those that have a high content of fast carbohydrates, as well as starch and fiber, for example, various kinds of sweets, pastries, potatoes, etc.
- mixing products, the simultaneous use of which is undesirable. For example, fruit is recommended to eat one hour before and one and a half to two hours after the main meal,
- the use of soda-saline as a means of combating heartburn. Soda, when consumed in increased amounts, has the ability to reduce the acid concentration in the stomach, which inevitably leads to gas formation,
Treatment and Prevention
If you find one or several of the above-mentioned symptoms, the occurrence of which is permanent, you should in no case try to let everything go by itself, to endure the arising pains and other inconveniences caused by flatulence. Failure to cure the disease only contributes to its progression.
Some folk remedies are appropriate and even very effective in the treatment of abdominal distention, but you should not immediately self-medicate - the best solution would be to contact a specialist - a gastrointerologist. The doctor will prescribe all necessary examinations to determine the cause of the illness and decide which course of treatment will be the most optimal. As a rule, the following procedures are assigned:
- stool tests for bacteria and intestinal microflora,
- the study of fluid excreted by the liver - bile,
- gastric juice research,
- examination of the digestive tract with ultrasound equipment,
Day routine and nutrition
To exclude the possibility of the formation of excess gases in the gastrointestinal tract, it is necessary to follow a special diet - a nutritional complex that excludes from the daily diet (or limits their number) such products that contribute to their release:
- rice groats and rice-based products,
- cabbage (in any form),
- milk products,
Meals during the day should be no more than 5-6, while it is necessary to distribute the amount of food entering the body evenly so as not to experience hunger later. Here is a list of products that not only do not contribute to the formation of gases in the intestines, but also prevent their appearance:
- fermented milk products (not to be confused with milk),
- cereals (with the exception of barley and millet),
- healthy herbs
- beets, carrots, pumpkin (soups based on vegetable data are also welcome),
- chicken eggs cooked in different ways: scrambled eggs, "soft boiled" (slightly undercooked),
- pates of natural origin, without impurities and additives,
Do not forget about drinks. Suffering from flatulence are recommended:
- green tea,
- coffee (weak) or cocoa,
- mineral or purified non-carbonated water (it is recommended to drink up to 2 liters per day),
- fruit juices without preservatives,
The patient menu should look like this:
Methods of therapy and prevention
Since stomach swelling is caused mainly by improper diet or excessive consumption of food, home remedies for a swollen stomach are focused on changing the diet.
In order to get rid of abdominal distention, you need to focus on taking fiber-rich foods, including fresh fruits and a lot of green leafy vegetables.
You should strictly avoid eating fatty foods, processed foods, and products with the addition of harmful substances. Consumption of very hot or cold food also causes bloating of the stomach.
Therefore, the rejection of bad eating habits will help in combating the problem of gastric distention.
It is best to keep a diary and record food that causes or worsens the condition of the stomach.
It is important to drink plenty of water. Consumption of the recommended amount of water will facilitate the normal movement of food through the intestines, improve bowel movement and allow the body to secrete excess water from the cells.
As salt helps in retaining water, it is necessary to reduce the intake of salt-saturated foods, especially salty, processed snacks and fast foods.
Persistent bloating is also caused by the release of intestinal gas. Avoid eating foods that cause flatulence.
This means that the patient should remove beans and legumes, broccoli, cabbage, prunes and apples from the diet if the symptoms of bloating persist for a long time.
You can try to take probiotics and increase the consumption of low-fat, unsweetened yogurt. It contains beneficial bacteria that relieve IBS symptoms.
In addition, yogurt reduces the accumulation of gas in the intestines after regular consumption.
Food priority should be given to foods and foods high in soluble fiber. This means that you need to eat more cereal bran and oatmeal.
Among the fruits you can choose strawberries, blueberries and plums. Of course, you should not eat too much fiber-rich food, as this can lead to bloating in the long run.
It is important to be physically active, do moderate exercise, do walks in the fresh air, run in the mornings, play sports, move more.
This is the most effective way to reduce bloating and improve digestion, which is much more effective than conventional medical treatment.
Since stress is one of the causative factors of abdominal distention, you should try to avoid stressful situations. You can practice yoga, meditation, or constantly engage in any activity that reduces nervous tension.
Lactose intolerance is another cause of bloating. Therefore, it is necessary to exclude the ingestion of dairy products, if the patient has this intolerance after they have been consumed.
You need to discuss this issue with your doctor to learn more about this condition, and then perform the treatment.
By changing your eating habits and lifestyle, you can virtually eliminate the likelihood of bloating in the future. But, if a person constantly suffers from excessive swelling, you should not practice self-treatment.
Bloating can develop into serious disorders if not carried out timely treatment of this condition.
It is recommended to consult a gastroenterologist about this symptom. The doctor will tell you why there is a regular swelling and associated symptoms, as well as its causes. After identifying the cause, he will prescribe the appropriate treatment.
Any disruption of the normal functioning of the human body gives him various kinds of discomfort in everyday life, especially when it is necessary to be constantly in motion or perform physical activities. Very badly, in this connection, abdominal distension and pain caused by pain are affected - besides the fact that it is very difficult to work actively with such symptoms, because of them, even sitting in a relaxed state while sitting or lying down is hardly possible.
Of course, in a person who does not have health problems, a sudden swelling and abdominal pain will not occur. It can be caused by problems with digestion, both chronic, caused by diseases of the gastrointestinal tract, and as a result of metabolic disorders due to an unbalanced diet. Anyway, bloating occurs as a result of gas accumulation in the intestines, the medical term "flatulence" corresponds to this process. As a result, there is a rather significant increase in the proportions of the abdomen, accompanied by the feeling that it seems to be bursting from the inside - as a rule, the upper section suffers especially.
Of course, to endure such feelings there is not the slightest reason, it can lead, perhaps, to even greater complications - an indisposition to be treated urgently.
Abdominal distension, like other pathologies, has certain symptoms. If you find a problem in time, you can avoid or alleviate sensations and consequences.
The main symptoms include:
- Visual increase in the abdomen, especially if the swelling is strong.
- Constant rumbling inside the abdomen, namely in the intestines and stomach. Often the symptom appears when lying down.
- Voltage inside.
- Frequent belching, with reinforcements after a meal.
Knowing the symptoms of the disease, you can always stop the uncomfortable feeling, but for this an equally important factor is the cause of the appearance.
The main causes of abdominal distention, should be attributed to the elementary, for example, that appear after improper consumption of food or food poisoning, as well as serious reasons that are caused by diseases.
Serious reasons include:
- Pancreatitis in chronic form. This problem is caused by inflammation of the pancreas and failure in its work. The pancreas is not able to produce enzymes that are necessary for the normal functioning of the intestine. Patients after eating always appear bloating.
- Bowel disease. If malfunctioning or intestinal disease occurs in people, increased gas formation is possible. Irritable bowel syndrome should be highlighted, when the organ functions improperly, loses its activity, therefore swelling appears and light, but constant pains are possible.
- Dysbacteriosis. Pathology means a weak immune system in which the body cannot withstand viruses and bacteria. Due to this, the intestinal microflora is lost from a normal rhythm, is affected by viruses, which lead to rotting inside. After that, gases are accumulated, and bloating occurs.
- Allergy to lactose. Lactose, which is contained in milk, can not be absorbed by every organism. As a result of an allergy the stomach blows, gases appear. All this is caused by a lack of production of an enzyme that can process lactose.
- Intestinal obstruction. With such a disease, parasites appear in the intestines, and new growths are possible, which do not allow the gases to pass normally. They accumulate and deliver a lot of inconvenience to the patient.
Symptoms include not only bloating, but also diarrhea, nausea, and other signs.
If bloating appears, then you should not panic right away, perhaps the gases have arisen for other reasons that do not belong to serious diseases. These causes of bloating include:
- Consumption of soda in large quantities. Gas formation in this case will pass independently after a while, since the natural process begins in the removal of gases.
- Food at a fast pace. When a person is fast food, he swallows a lot of air. As a result, swelling begins, after a while the gases come out. Of course, this is unpleasant and inconvenient, but the problem can be solved by eating more slowly and chewing food thoroughly.
- The use of products that cause fermentation. Baking, foods with soda, potatoes, legumes and other ingredients with a lot of fiber, as well as starch and carbohydrates can be attributed to this category of products. As a result, the combination of such elements begins fermentation in the stomach, which leads to the formation of gases.
- Variety of food. Eating the same dishes all the time is harmful, but frequent dietary changes cause bloating.
It is not recommended to eat incompatible ingredients, for example, berries or fruits should be consumed 1-2 hours before meals. If you eat them immediately after lunch, dinner, then there is diarrhea and bloating.
Knowing the causes of unpleasant sensations, you can figure out what to do in a given situation.
What should be excluded from the diet
Abdominal distention is not a dangerous symptom, but if the problem is not in food or lifestyle, then it is better to consult a doctor for help.
If the result of the accumulation of gases is excessive consumption of food, poisoning, then you just need to give time to rest, do not load the body with food.
After poisoning or overeating, it is necessary to eat only boiled rice and herbal tea. So that the problem does not reappear, you will need to remove coarse food from the diet and include dietary meat, broths.
When abdominal distention is necessary to abandon such products:
- Barley porridge.
- Fat meat.
- Condiments, especially those that provoke gases.
Preference should be rice, kefir or yogurt. Tea should be made on the basis of healing herbs:
This combination of herbs will help to arrest the discomfort. If you can not do without seasonings, then use ginger, cumin, dill, cardamom.
To deal with the cause of the appearance of unpleasant sensations, you just need to listen to the body, as well as track all the signs that appear after eating.
Medicines in the form of tablets and powders can be used only in consultation with the doctor who initially conduct the examination and diagnoses the patient.
During the examination, analyzes are taken that will allow to determine the disease, bacteria and other factors that caused bloating.
Prerequisite is to surrender:
- Analysis of feces.
- Urine analysis
- Ultrasound of the digestive tract.
- Gastric juice for research.
Based on the results of the collected tests, the doctor prescribes treatment with such medicines:
- Absorbents in the form of activated carbon, white clay, as well as the drug "Smekta" or "Polysorb".
- With a lack of enzymes for the processing of products used "Mezim", "Pancreatin".
- For normalization of bile levels, Karsil and Allohol are used.
Those who are not satisfied with the use of medicines can use an alternative method of treatment - traditional medicine.
Traditional medicine has almost no contraindications, many of them are recommended for use during pregnancy and bloating in children.
True, before using this or that remedy, it is better to consult a doctor for safety.
Treatment of folk remedies
At home, you can use very effective recipes of traditional medicine that allow you to get rid of flatulence and abdominal distention.
You can make a slurry of ginger root and lemon juice with the addition of salt. To prepare, you must chop the ginger and add the remaining ingredients, mix thoroughly and take the remedy every day before the meal.
In a week, all the gases in the intestines will come out, the work of the gastrointestinal tract will improve and appetite will increase significantly.
Since childhood, many people know that dill water helps from the stomach and gas. This recipe is completely safe, you can use the water not only for adults but also for babies.
Making water is very easy:
- 1 tbsp is poured into a cup. dried dill and add 300 ml of boiling water.
- All left for a couple of hours, after which the water can be drunk.
For preparation glass container or thermos is used. Vodichka is filtered and taken for 3-4 days, 120 ml before meals.
A similar efficacy is in decoction of chamomile pharmaceutical. Making the decoction is easy:
- 1 tbsp. colors poured 250 ml of boiling water.
- The mixture is sent to a slow fire, so that the infusion boils for a couple of minutes.
- The broth must be removed from heat and left for 4 hours.
To take a medicine for bloating should be 2 tablespoons. no more than 4 times a day, before the start of the meal. If you do not have time to cook broths and infusions, then you should chew and swallow a couple of dill, fennel or bay leaf before eating.
If a person has gastritis, which is complemented by bloating, then a couple of tablespoons of honey should be added to the dill branch. Ingredients are used in equal parts, and before meals, you should take 1 tbsp of food.
Those people who suffer from flatulence and bloating try to prevent recurrence of discomfort.
As a result, they refuse to consume milk and other dairy products, which often cause unpleasant sensations.
But this is wrong, because kefir is best suited to normalize the work of the intestines and other organs of the abdomen. Nutritionists advise to drink kefir all the time, it will allow to unload the gastrointestinal tract, and also remove gases.
Kefir is used for dysbacteriosis, because it can suppress the development of bacteria and prevents gas formation.
In such a product is lactic acid, which allows you to digest well vitamin D, iron and calcium. All this can split casein.
At home, you can save the microflora of the abdomen, if you make special teas. They are prepared on the basis of green tea, which can be used only in the form of heat.
For cooking you need to put brew, add 1 tbsp. chamomile and a little thyme. Mix the mixture with hot water and leave for a quarter of an hour.
After consuming relief comes in about 30-40 minutes.
People who are treated with folk remedies recommend using lemon for meteorism, namely zest. From it in the intestine appears many times less gas.
To enhance the effect, you can squeeze the juice of lemon and mix it with ginger, which is killed in a meat grinder.
Take before meals, if there is no time to cook the mixture, then you can simply cut off a little lemon skin and chew.
Activated carbon - a universal remedy
Activated carbon is cheap and almost everyone has a home first aid kit. He can release the abdominal cavity from the gas, while acting quickly and efficiently.
Even after a couple of pills, you can feel relief, almost instantly. You need to drink coal from the standard calculation of 1 tablet for every 10 kg of body weight.
Activated carbon must be swallowed whole, do not crush or chew it. If it is difficult to swallow pills, then you can dissolve them in water, then drink it in one gulp.
As for children, they can also use activated carbon, but it is better to immediately give a couple of spoons of honey or jam after it. Surely the child will try the coal, but it is very bitter, and the bitterness cannot be washed down with water.
It should be understood that coal does not always help, and after using it, a side effect appears in the form of constipation or complicated chair.
This effect is unpleasant, but it passes fairly quickly, after which the work of the internal organs normalizes and you can lead a normal life, without gas and bloating.
People diagnosed with gastritis or an ulcer are not allowed to use activated charcoal to relieve swelling.
In this case, it is recommended to seek help from a doctor who will prescribe the correct medicine and means that can be used at home.
The last thing that can help and what can always be done as a preventive measure is easy charging. To improve the motor activity of the internal organs, it is necessary to strain and relax the stomach 15 times.
You can still attract the hips to the body, while the arms to grab the legs and fixed in the pose for a moment. This exercise is carried out several times a day.
You can bend your legs on your back, put your hands on your stomach and inhale a little pressure in the intestinal area.
Further, the breath is held for up to 10 seconds, and when you exhale, release the hands from the abdomen and stroke the abdomen. You can exercise every day up to 10 times.
Eating foods rich in easily digestible carbohydrates: all kinds of fruits, starchy vegetables (corn, potatoes), legumes (peas, beans, soybeans), cabbage (broccoli, fiber and others), black bread and baking, provoke increased gas generation and swelling the abdomen, which looks as if puffed up, grumbles and grunts. A common root cause of the accumulation of gases in the stomach is the mixing of different foods, which are recommended to eat separately from each other. Fruit should be eaten one hour before meals or, on the contrary, two hours after. So useful for the work of the stomach.
Features of the human body
Immaturity of the digestive system in infancy. Why do babies suffer from the condition when the stomach swells, boils and rumbles? Because the children's intestines and the stomach go through a complete process of formation and growth. It also takes into account the process of breastfeeding, in which they swallow large amounts of air. This happens due to improper attachment of the baby to the mother’s breast. Possible children's individual intolerance to lactose (milk sugar), which is immediately manifested by the swelling of the stomach by eating milk.
When taking certain medications, mainly antibacterial drugs, digestion is disturbed, accompanied by bloating. To avoid this, it is necessary in parallel with antibiotics to take drugs to restore the intestinal microflora. These include: "Linex", "Bifidumbakterin", "Laktiale", "Yogurt" (in capsules).
Smoking and other causes
When smoking, excessive inhalation of air occurs, resulting in a large amount of gas accumulating in the stomach. Smoking and in itself is harmful to health, and in combination with swelling it becomes doubly destructive. Another less common cause for flatulence can be allergies to certain foods. They may cause a runny nose, sneezing, and a red rash on the body.
Excessive concentration of gases in the stomach results from excessive use of carbonated drinks, such as kvass, beer, and lemonade.
Such bloating is accompanied by the usual desire to “release” gases and passes very quickly without delivering much discomfort to the person. Another cause of bloating is the ingestion of air in the process of eating. If a person is in a hurry and eats quickly, grabbing pieces of food, chewing the cud or sucking up candy, then air naturally enters and forms air in the stomach, as a result, and bloating appears. Some of the gases come out during belching, others go outside and the residue moves into the blood.
During pregnancy, women are constantly faced with many troubles that have not happened to them before. An unpleasant problem - gases during pregnancy. A woman feels as if her stomach is swollen, feels a constant desire to “release” gases, which is performed under characteristic loud sounds, boiling and swelling occurs, and a tummy in the stomach area hurts. This kind of trouble happens mostly already in late pregnancy, when the tummy is already big enough.
Causes of pain in the lower abdomen
pain and bloating often in women before menstruation
Abdominal pain can be the cause of many pains and problems, both with the intestines, and with other organs of the abdominal cavity. The most common cause of such pain in women are menstrual. During this period, the woman may feel both nagging and cramping pains due to a strong contraction of the uterus. Some women also complain of pain in the lower abdomen in the middle of the cycle, which indicates the onset of ovulation. Other causes of this pain include:
- Constipation. During constipation, fecal masses accumulate in the intestines, and they become very much. Because of this, the intestines increase in size and pressure on other organs and nerve endings, thereby causing pain.
- Intestinal infection. When an intestinal infection pain is one of the many symptoms, and it occurs abruptly, and does not pass until such time as treatment begins.
- Diseases of the genitourinary system. Most often you can find such a thing as "how the bladder got cold." In this case, the pain will be aching in nature, and you can get rid of it only by taking antibiotics and a slight warming.
- Stones in the ureter. And, despite the fact that the pain mainly occurs on the side, they give down the abdomen. And sometimes even a person cannot pinpoint the true location of the primary pain.
- Urinary retention This happens when a person has an infection in the urogenital system, and a tumor also develops. In this case, the pain is predominantly localized just below the navel.
- Irritable bowel syndrome. With this syndrome, a person must constantly follow a diet, but if he suddenly deviates from it at least a little, then the intestine will immediately react, and pain will appear in the lower abdomen, as well as bloating
- Prostatitis in men
- Intra-abdominal bleeding, during which there will also be pallor of the skin, fainting
- Malignant or benign tumors
- Appendicitis. Despite the fact that appendicitis is located on the right, most of the patients report pain throughout the lower abdomen.
The causes of pain in the lower abdomen are many. And most of them are accompanied by another symptom - bloating.
Treatment of bloating and abdominal pain
By abdominal pain in pregnant women should be treated with the utmost caution
The most important thing during the treatment of bloating and abdominal pain is compliance with all prescribed prescriptions. First of all, you need to go to a specialist and be examined, especially if these two symptoms appear quite often. If a person suffers only abdominal distension, the doctor will prescribe:
- Motilium, which eliminates not only bloating, but also improves digestion
- A special diet, during which you have to eliminate raw vegetables, fruits, legumes, spicy and fatty foods, as they irritate the intestines and can cause excessive gas formation. You can only eat steamed or boiled
- Enzyme preparations that will help better digest the incoming food in the stomach
- Broths of chamomile, dill, which help with colic and bloating
- Sometimes a specialist can recommend a person to drink a laxative. To clean the intestines.
If we talk about the painful sensations in the lower abdomen, the doctor will prescribe:
- No-shpu that relieves muscle spasm
- Espumizan, which will remove accumulated gases
- Enzymes, namely Pancreatin or Mezim, which will help the pancreas and stomach
If the doctor, when examining a patient, noticed that the painful sensations are of a more serious origin (intra-abdominal bleeding, rupture of the spleen, etc.), then he will immediately send the patient to surgery for a more complete examination, and if necessary, to perform an operation. Sometimes the stomach can hurt with prolonged fasting. In this case, the pain will be piston-like and constricting, and no enzymes, painkillers will help. Separately, you need to say about abdominal pain during menstruation. Each woman individually takes for herself the drug that alleviates her condition. This is mainly No-shpa, Spazmalgon.
When pain occurs in pregnant women, it is not necessary to think that these are problems with the intestines, indigestion, etc. It is better to be safe and go to the gynecologist, so that he eliminates the threat of abortion.
Abdominal distension and abdominal pain often appear at the same time, and require urgent treatment, since even the most innocent cause can develop into something more serious over time.
On the causes of pain and rumbling in the stomach (stomach, intestines), tell the video:
Doctors are accustomed to hearing complaints from patients associated with a feeling of bloating. This is one of the most common symptoms of gastrointestinal disorders.
The feeling of a full abdomen can be associated with increased gas formation, unhealthy diet and various pathologies of the digestive system.
Feeling of full abdomen
Disorders of the digestive system, manifesting themselves abdominal distention, can occur for a variety of reasons.
The main modern negative factors include daily stress, unhealthy diet and taking a huge amount of medicines. All this, one way or another, affects the health of the gastrointestinal tract.
A swollen belly not only causes a feeling of internal discomfort, but also objectively prevents one from engaging in habitual activities. This disorder can occur at any time.
It is also important that abdominal distention is not always directly related to food intake, which further complicates the search for possible causes of illness. Getting rid of bloating can be quite difficult.
A feeling of a full abdomen can be associated with dangerous diseases and trivial disorders of the stomach or intestines. In healthy people, this problem can occur periodically and not cause much concern.
Constant feeling of fullness in the stomach indicates an unfavorable state of the organs of the gastrointestinal tract.
Feeling of full abdomen - after eating
A feeling of a full abdomen is most often a sign of indigestion or disease. In such cases, on the background of abdominal distention, other symptoms may appear that aggravate the patient’s general condition.
Sometimes external abdominal distension may not be accompanied by discomfort. Such cases are often associated with anatomical abnormalities and features of the stomach.
Symptoms to pay attention to:
- Skin rash or urticaria.
- Sore throat, itching around eyes and other signs of allergies.
- Constipation or diarrhea.
- Nausea and vomiting.
- Blood in urine and stool.
- Weight loss.
- Soreness and swelling of the lymph nodes of the groin, neck and underarms.
- Constant fatigue.
- Problems concentrating.
- Seal in the anus.
These symptoms may indicate a more severe pathology, manifested by a feeling of overcrowding in the stomach. Allergic reactions, poisoning and bleeding are especially dangerous.
Diagnosis and treatment
Probiotics and prebiotics - for abdominal work
Diagnostic measures begin with the evaluation of patient complaints. In this case, the doctor conducts a physical examination of the patient, determining the degree of abdominal distention and the presence of other pathological signs.
It may be necessary for the physician to distinguish flatulence from fluid accumulation in the abdominal cavity (ascites). To do this, the patient is asked to lie down on the couch. In horizontal position, flatulence does not cause severe abdominal distention.
If the physical examination did not give accurate results, the doctor prescribes instrumental and laboratory diagnostic methods. The laboratory evaluates the condition of the patient’s blood and feces, which helps detect infection or dysbacteriosis. Important instrumental methods include:
- Colonoscopy and gastroscopy. Using these endoscopic methods, it is possible to obtain objective data on the condition of the entire digestive tract.
- Respiratory hydrogen test. Pathogenic bacteria secrete hydrogen as a by-product of metabolism. With the help of special devices, doctors analyze the air exhaled by the patient.
- X-ray and tomography. Snapshots can detect almost any structural pathology.
Therapeutic measures depend on the established cause of discomfort. Doctors may prescribe probiotics, prebiotics, intestinal antibiotics, anti-inflammatory drugs, carminatives and other medicines.
With the signs of irritable bowel syndrome you will be introduced to the video:
To find out the causes and treatment of gastric distention, you need to consult a doctor. Gases in the organ of digestion accumulate due to failure in his work.
At the same time, in addition to increased gas formation, a person may be disturbed by air burping and abdominal pain. To all this, most often leads a diet of harmful products.
Unpleasant sensations in the stomach as a result of malnutrition
Nausea, bloating, pain and belching after eating are symptoms familiar to everyone who ate unbalanced or at the wrong time.
At the same time, a person confronted with such sensations does not complain about disturbances in the functioning of the digestive system.
After all, the problem lies not in the development of any pathology, but in what kind of food enters the stomach every day.
Also, abdominal pain and other associated symptoms may appear due to another reason - ignoring the rules of serving dishes.
The most common errors leading to stomach problems are:
- eating on the go. With the rapid absorption of food, not sitting at the dinner table, the digestive organs are filled with air, swelling the stomach and intestines. Therefore, abdominal distention and belching, through which the body tries to get rid of excess gases,
- meal consisting of only the first course. According to nutritionists, everything liquid, like soup, broth or juice, should be eaten first, after which it is necessary to eat a second dish, for example, a meat patty. Otherwise, gastric juice, produced in large quantities, in order to process the second course, will cause the formation of excess gases,
- Eating fruits and vegetables immediately after eating. Sometimes it is necessary to look for the causes of bloating, pain and belching. Fruits and vegetables provoke the production of large amounts of secretion. Remaining not involved in the digestion process, it leads to the accumulation of gas in the stomach. Also belching air, pain in the abdomen and bloating are observed when eating only plant food,
- inclusion in the diet of excess foods. No matter how useful the food is, you can not eat it a lot. In order for the body to receive energy, it is enough to eat such a volume of food, which will satisfy the feeling of hunger. If the stomach is overloaded, then it will begin the processes of decay and fermentation, which just cause severe pain in the lower abdomen after eating, belching air and bloating.
Therefore, always, even on a trip, you need to adhere to proper nutrition.
Today, thanks to the development of technology, it is possible to keep food frozen or warm for 2-3 hours. You can not allow yourself to starve or eat on the run harmful products.
Features of treatment and nutrition for abdominal discomfort
Since bloating, pain and burping with air are often symptoms of serious diseases, you should immediately go to the doctor if they occur.
What should be the treatment is determined only after the diagnosis.
But usually, to eliminate all problems with the stomach, the doctor recommends doing the following:
- go on a special diet that frees the stomach from overwork,
- stimulate the motor function of the digestive organs,
- tidy up the microflora of the gastrointestinal tract.
If the doctor has determined that the causes of bloating, pain and belching are caused by insufficient production of enzymes by the pancreas, then the treatment of the disease will not be without taking tablets containing pepsin, amylase, lipase and other substances for digesting food.
In addition, to eliminate the symptoms of diseases of the digestive system, you need to take activated charcoal or "Polysorb", removing the accumulated gases from the body.
Instead of them for the same purpose, you can use white clay tablets or "Polyphepane."
To improve the microflora, you should take probiotics or the latest drugs - prebiotics, that is, the pill "Linex" or "Laktofiltrum".
The first tool contains beneficial bacteria, and the second - substances that allow the stomach and intestines to produce them independently.
Treatment with these drugs is recommended to be supplemented with “Espumizan”, which quenches the gas bubbles in the intestine and removes them through belching with air.
In addition to it, it does not interfere with drinking the medicine "Motilium", produced in the form of a suspension, since it contributes to the normal movement of food through the gastrointestinal tract.
Pain in the stomach will help remove "Plantex."
To alleviate the pain in the lower abdomen and belching after eating, you must not only drink pills, but also change the diet. It is important to stop eating everything that is saturated with fibers, sugars, fiber and other complex carbohydrates, because their digestion takes a lot of time.
Instead, it is better to eat foods that contain a lot of magnesium, fatty acids and vitamins B6 and E.
They are rich in veal, fish, dried apricots, grapes, pomegranates and prunes. One day a week for the sake of eliminating belching and pain in the abdomen, it is advisable to discharge it - eat rice and drink mint tea.
Traditional treatments for bloating in the stomach and belching
Tablets for bloating, belching and stomach pain, regardless of the cause of these unpleasant symptoms, can be replaced with folk remedies.
Good results will bring treatment with fresh juice of potatoes. In order for the belching and all other signs of diseases of the digestive organs to disappear, it must be drunk early in the morning on an empty stomach for 10 days.
After that, it is recommended to take a break for a week and a half and begin treatment again. Pain and other discomfort will pass faster and will not resume if the above treatment is carried out in three approaches.
Children do not give pills. They have symptoms such as lower abdominal pain, belching and increased flatulence, can be removed with the help of dill water.
This tool is sold in a pharmacy or prepared independently of a teaspoon of plant seeds, filled with a glass of hot water.
The infusion will be ready for use in an hour, but it must be filtered before ingestion.
Babies experiencing discomfort in the stomach, it is enough to give a teaspoon of dill water three times a day before meals.
To eliminate belching and increased gas formation in children from 3 years old, it is necessary to water them with the medicine from the seeds of dill 5 times a day.
Belching, pain and other unpleasant signs of gastric diseases will disappear if you make and gradually drink soda solution.
To prepare it, you need to dissolve a quarter of a teaspoon of soda in a glass of water. Also, instead of calcium carbonate, you can use magnesia powder (at the tip of the knife).
However, this medicine can not be taken for a long time. If necessary, it is better to replace it with goat's milk, the treatment of which involves the use of half a liter of product during the day.
If you do not want to take pills, then you can make herbal decoctions to eliminate belching and pain in the lower abdomen.
Treatment of them will bring positive results, as certain medicinal plants normalize peristalsis and improve digestion.
One of the most effective against belching and pain in the abdomen decoction is prepared from peppermint, yarrow, St. John's wort and fennel seeds.
Three spoons of these herbs should be poured with three cups of boiling water and boiled on low heat for half an hour.
Belching, pain and other discomfort will disappear if you do this tool every day and take 2 tablespoons, just having eaten.
So, to cope with bloating, pain, belching and other problems in the stomach, it is necessary to determine the cause that caused them to appear.
Only then you can take pills, prescribed by a doctor, and make decoctions of herbs that promote speedy recovery.
Nutrition with bloating
Food should be healthy and high-quality, nutritious and healthy foods. It is recommended to cook dishes in boiled, steamed and stewed form. To eat food in a warm condition, in any case not cold, so as not to irritate the mucous membrane of the stomach. You need to eat in small portions, every 3-4 hours, do not eat before bedtime. The diet should consist of foods that do not lead to an increase in gas formation in the stomach. These products include:
- carrots, pumpkin, vegetable soups, greens (dill, spinach),
- fresh juices (apple, peach, grapefruit),
- Yesterday's bread and pastry,
- scrambled eggs,
- lean meats (chicken, rabbit) and fish (hake, flounder),
- cereals and porridge from them (oatmeal, buckwheat, rice), bran,
- weak black tea, cocoa, mineral water without gas.
Back to table of contents
How to get rid of a bloated belly?
In addition to the observance of proper nutrition, to get rid of the disease, you should constantly adhere to these rules:
- After eating for half an hour to lie down, let the stomach relax. Then you can take a small walk, the digestion of food at which will be much more active and faster.
- Avoid the use of carbonated drinks, which provoke the sensation of a bloated tummy, swelling, loud sound of boiling in the stomach. Replace them with herbal teas and decoctions.
- With suspicious symptoms, it is necessary to make a diagnosis of the disease for the timely detection of the disease and the relief of the problem at the initial stage of development.
- If you find a disease, follow the recommendations of the doctor, use drugs, sit on a starvation diet, lead a healthy lifestyle.
Back to table of contents
Treatment of the disease can be carried out at home, if it is provoked by products. If you identify other causes that caused it, you should consult a doctor and carry out treatment with the appointment of drugs. In general, enzyme tablets, enterosorbents, probiotics and simethicones are prescribed for the stomach.
Capable of removing poisons and toxins located in the stomach and intestines, help eliminate the appearance of excessive gas formation in the stomach. Enterosorbents include: Enterosgel, activated carbon tablets, Smekta, Polysorb. Cleaning and treatment of enterosorbents should be carried out under the supervision of a physician. It is not recommended to take them for a long time, since the action of drugs in overdose is aimed at ensuring that not only harmful, but also useful substances are released from the body.
Enzymes, simethicones and probiotics
Enzyme preparations for bloating: “Lactase” - a drug that can break down milk sugar, which helps reduce gas formation, “Creon”, “Mezim”, enzymes with antifoam agent - “Pancreoflat”, “Pepfiz”. Simethicones are aimed at the destruction of foam, in the form of which gases are in the stomach, such drugs include: “Espumizan”, “Bobotik”. Probiotics include: the Harmony of Life bioappetition, Normoflorin synbiotic complexes, which are able to treat the appearance of excessive gas formation in the stomach.
From popular recipes, you can apply the following decoctions:
- Ginger is good to treat a bloated tummy, when it hurts, it grumbles loudly, as if hungry. Ginger well strengthens the immune system. In ordinary tea, you can add dried or powdered ginger.
- Dill water is a popular remedy for bubbling in the stomach and swelling. Eliminates such features at which the puffy tummy growls, gurgles, as if rumbling and boils. To do it this way: take 2 tsp. dill seeds and 400 ml of boiling water is poured, leave to infuse for 30 minutes. Then strain and drink 0.5 cups before meals during the day.
- Fennel well warns the condition in which the tummy swells, becomes inflated, mutters and gurgles in the stomach. It is necessary to brew it like an ordinary tea and drink with the addition of sugar or honey.
Back to table of contents
The best preventive recommendations to get rid of gas in the stomach, is to correct the diet. Why and you need to slowly and carefully chew food, eat in a quiet comfortable atmosphere, minimize the use of products that undergo the process of fermentation in the stomach.
It is necessary to give up the bad habit - smoking. If you follow these simple recommendations, then you will not be afraid of any ailments.
The problem called flatulence can not be attributed to these diseases. Rather, it is a state of the body, which is caused by the accumulation of excess amount of gastric gases. Its main features include a feeling of fullness in the stomach, bloating and pain of varying severity.
Causes of the problem
The main reasons for the development of flatulence and the appearance of abdominal pain include:
- patient choice of the wrong diet, including trying to eat on the go and talk while eating. This leads to getting into the stomach not only food, but also a significant amount of air,
- use of unsuitable products - carbonated beverages, chewing gum, most sweets (from buns to sweets and biscuits), legumes, potatoes and cabbage. All these products contribute to the fermentation and gas formation in the stomach and increase the likelihood of bloating,
- trying to deal with heartburn with soda. Despite the fact that this folk remedy is often used to get rid of stomach problems, its reaction with gastric juice can provoke the appearance of flatulence,
- imbalance of intestinal microflora - due to the predominance of certain types of microorganisms, gas production increases, causing bloating,
- influence of psychological factors - stress and overwork. Psycho-emotional stress disrupts the functioning of a number of organs, including the stomach. One of the manifestations of such a violation is an increase in gas formation,
- state of pregnancy in women. Changes that occur in the body of future mothers often lead to an increase in gas formation. The growing fetus and the increasing uterus squeeze the intestinal walls and violate the discharge of gases.
Often, the causes of increased gas formation in the stomach are various pathologies. Identify them according to the results of examinations prescribed by a doctor. Helps in the diagnosis and "pain map" - the localization of pain in certain parts of the body, which can determine the cause of the disease.
Conditionally dividing the stomach into several main areas, doctors are able to determine how serious the problem is and how it was caused:
- pains in the upper right quadrant indicate problems with the liver, gallbladder, ureter, and adrenal gland. Another cause of unpleasant sensations in this area are diseases of the right kidney,
- pain in the upper right zone shows that the cause of flatulence, most likely, are problems with the spleen, small intestine and located on the same side of the kidney and adrenal gland,
- pains in the upper middle zone are caused by gastritis, ulcers and swollen lymph nodes, sometimes by abdominal wall damage,
- unpleasant sensations in the right or left lower quadrant show that the cause of flatulence and bloating should be sought in the rectum, groin and ovary (for female patients). Ectopic pregnancy can also be a problem.
If pain occurs in the middle part of the abdomen, menstrual pain and pelvic inflammatory disease may also be the cause. In men, symptoms are caused by infections of the urethra and testicles. In the absence of a specific location of pain, they can be caused by irritable bowel syndrome, constipation or peritonitis.
Principles of diagnosis
In the process of diagnosing a problem, the specialist must determine whether the reason for the problems was a violation of the diet or serious digestive problems. The definition consists of the following steps:
- inspection and palpation,
- blood tests that detect liver problems, leading to a decrease in bile production and digestive disorders,
- bakposeva feces, determining the ratio of pathogenic and normal microorganisms,
- Ultrasound examination of the abdominal cavity, which confirms not only flatulence, but also other pathologies of the gastrointestinal tract.
X-ray examination is carried out after the patient has taken drugs containing barium sulfate. With the help of this radiopaque substance, intestinal features are studied. To obtain more accurate research results, pictures are taken in various projections - when the patient is lying on his back, on his side or stomach, and in a standing position.
Getting rid of bloating and abdominal pain
You can try to cope with flatulence, pain and bloating in the following ways:
- taking medication prescribed by a doctor
- sticking to an appropriate diet
- taking advantage of folk remedies.
It is worth noting that traditional medicine will not help to cope with the problem. However, with its help, the symptoms bother the patient less often and not so much. Therefore, folk remedies are allowed to use as ancillary to the main therapy - although they should also be consulted with a doctor about their use.
Severe pain in abdominal distention is treated with various drugs prescribed by a doctor. One of the most popular drugs to cope with the problem are Smecta, No-spa and activated charcoal. If intestinal infections are the causes of flatulence, taking Linex and Acilitac will help get rid of most of the symptoms. To accelerate the elimination of gases using drugs such as Motilium and Tsirukala, and in order to reduce gas formation - Disflatil and Espumizan.
At the same time, the treatment of symptoms is not the main task of therapy. The goal should be to rid the patient of those diseases that caused flatulence and bloating. To do this, a specialist can prescribe and biological products to eliminate intestinal disorders, and laxatives to get rid of constipation, and prokinetics, restoring gastric motility.
Features of the diet of patients
In addition to treatment, the patient must follow a certain diet. To do this, he will have to abandon such products:
- hard-to-digest meat (including pork, lamb, and goose),
- easily digestible carbohydrates such as fresh pastries, cookies, cakes and pies,
- milk and milkshakes, and even ice cream,
- Borodino bread,
- raw and sour vegetables with high fiber content - radish, tomatoes and cabbage,
- berries and mushrooms,
- raw fruits
- "Soda" and alcohol.
It is recommended to include in the diet crumbly porridge such as pshenka or buckwheat. Fermented milk products and yesterday’s wholemeal bread are allowed. You can use some types of fruits and vegetables - but only in boiled or baked form.
Use of folk remedies
The main recipes of traditional medicine to improve the condition of the patient with meteorism are as follows:
- Dry dandelion roots are poured with 200 ml of warm water and infused for 24 hours. It is recommended to take the tincture three times a day,
- Similar tinctures are made from dill and parsley. Take 5 times a day,
- Chamomile tea. The frequency of admission - after 6 h.
For small patients, abdominal massage is recommended. Circular movements of the hands in a clockwise direction improve the child’s condition Dill water provides additional assistance in eliminating the symptoms of flatulence in children - it can be purchased at a pharmacy or prepared from ground dill (1 tbsp. 200 ml of boiling water is poured).
Complications of flatulence
If meteorism is not treated, and hope for an independent passage of symptoms, without going to the doctor, the consequences of such neglect of their own health can be quite serious. First of all, due to the arising pain. Secondly, due to the fact that problems with the gastrointestinal tract can lead to general weakness of the body, insomnia, migraines and heart pain.
Especially dangerous flatulence can be for a pregnant woman. In addition to the discomfort delivered to the expectant mother, this condition also harms the health of the fetus. Due to poor health, a woman begins to eat improperly, and the baby receives less of the microelements and vitamins necessary for its development.