Treatment of intestinal diverticulosis with folk remedies allows not only to remove the main symptoms of the disease, but also to prevent complications that accompany the pathology. Alternative methods are used in the role of auxiliary treatment, as monotherapy, natural products are rarely used, since they do not always provide the desired result.
Symptoms and clinical manifestations of the disease
Diverticulums are called blindly ending bulging walls of a hollow or tubular organ. Their presence is indicated by the term diverticulosis. According to the ICD 10 code:
- K57 - complications and acquired forms of the disease,
- Q43.8 - congenital diverticulosis.
The disease can occur not only in the digestive tract. Diverticulosis of the intestinal wall develops due to its vascular changes and the formation of areas with high intraluminal pressure due to impaired peristalsis.
The symptomatology of the disease does not actually appear, the detection occurs as a result of examinations for other purposes, which complicates the treatment. But diverticulitis has symptoms, although not pronounced.
What is a diverticulum
Painful sensations in the initial stage of the disease are practically not palpable and are perceived as gastrointestinal dysfunctions or ischemic colitis. A person with diverticulosis may feel slight colic, flatulence or a feeling of fullness in the stomach.
- Pain in the disease occurs periodically, like cramping:
- can be sharp and cutting or long and aching,
- soreness is stronger on the left, but can be activated in the middle of the abdomen or below.
- The pain reaches its peak when the esophagus is full. Then it can gradually subside.
- An acute attack of diverticulosis is characterized by severe pain in the iliac fossa on the left side, the patient feels like an attack of appendicitis.
- At the time of a spasm, a person feels pain in the area:
- buttock zones
- lower back
- the sacrum
- The disease has associated symptoms:
- phenomena similar to peritonitis.
- Gas exhaustion or bowel movement reduces pain and relieves it.
An important symptom of colon diverticulitis is stool disorder - a combination of diarrhea and constipation. In the affected area of the intestine, there is a contraction of the smooth muscles of its wall - a spasm, which leads to a narrowing of the intestinal lumen and constipation. At the same time, water absorption is disturbed in the large intestine, feces become more fluid, and, as the diseased intestine tends to free itself from its contents, resolution of the spasm is accompanied by diarrhea.
Blood impurities in feces
In inflammatory reactions, bleeding erosions and ulcers appear in the intestines, which are manifested by blood in the feces. At the same time, the volume of blood loss is small and this is observed only in 5-10% of patients.
Traces of blood are noticeable only after defecation or straining. At the same time, a diverticulum may rupture and its contents exit into the intestinal lumen. This situation is accompanied by simultaneous acute pain and quite severe bleeding (traces of blood will immediately be visible on underwear).
It is possible to increase the temperature, due to the fact that with inflammation the intestinal tissue begins to secrete special substances - pyrogenes, which, acting on the thermoregulatory center in the brain, increase body temperature. It is important to understand that fever is a physiological, protective mechanism that allows you to activate the immune defenses to fight inflammation. Symptoms of diverticulitis can even look like a cold.
Nausea, vomiting, loss of appetite
Dyspeptic symptoms (nausea, vomiting), as well as loss of appetite and general lethargy, may develop. They are signs of intoxication of the body by those substances that formed during the inflammation of the diverticulum.
It is worth noting that the symptoms of sigmoid colon diverticulosis are very difficult to diagnose. Since this pathology is insidious in that it is asymptomatic for a long time.
Causes of diverticulosis
Diverticulums are present in most people, but not everyone develops diverticulosis of the large intestine. Let's try to figure out what causes this disease.
Most at risk are people who consume less than thirty grams of fiber per day.
Foods that include low fiber are the result of constipation. Most at risk are people who consume less than thirty grams of fiber per day. Most people consume only half the right amount of fiber. Therefore, the passage of consumed food through the gastrointestinal tract is very difficult. The internal contents of the intestine become very strong and remain in the internal filling of the colon (constipation). The intestinal environment displaces feces, and pressure begins to increase, this causes the inflammatory process of diverticula. Colonic diverticulosis often develops due to malnutrition.
Ulcerative colitis, spastic enterocolitis, various intestinal infections. These pathologies provoke a tumor in the pituitary membrane of the intestine. Even if it is possible to overcome the occurrence of microbes and viruses that caused the disease in the shortest possible time in the intestinal environment, they are still reproduced in diverticula. An unstable immune system and abnormalities of the microflora in the gut are the result of sigmoid colon diverticulitis.
In older people, diverticula are much more likely to appear.
After the years have passed, the activity of each muscle decreases, the intestinal motility changes for the worse, and constipation is produced. The intestinal mucosa becomes thinner and the immune system weakens. In older people, diverticula are much more likely to appear. And since the intestines work worse, more often inflammatory processes occur, sometimes tumors appear.
The properties of the intestinal tract and soreness of the contact tissue are inherited from father to mother. As a result, the child is born with congenital diverticula, or they form immediately after birth and are often multiple. With dysbiosis, a weak immune system, diverticula become inflamed due to intestinal viruses, and diverticulosis of the colon develops.
Helminths, which are in the intestinal environment, injure the mucous membrane, worsen the microflora and reduce its defensive function against microbes. Harmful and dangerous viruses quickly penetrate the diverticulum plane strewn with erosion, this can provoke diverticulitis of the large intestine.
Helminths, which are in the intestinal environment, injure the mucous membrane, worsen the microflora and reduce its defensive function against microbes.
Diagnosis of the disease
Diverticular disease is usually divided into three main forms. This allows you to assess the patient's condition and conduct the correct treatment of intestinal diverticulosis. The disease is classified as follows:
- Asymptomatic diverticulosis. In this case, the patient does not have any symptoms, and the disease, as a rule, is detected by chance.
- Diverticular disease with clinical manifestations. This type of diverticulosis is often accompanied by pain, impaired microflora and digestive processes, as well as spasm of the intestinal wall.
- Complicated diverticulosis. Most often it is complicated by diverticulitis, and complications can also be as follows: intestinal fistula, perforation of the diverticulum, intestinal bleeding, peritoneal infiltrate.
It is quite difficult to determine the presence of a diverticular disease with accuracy, since its symptoms are very similar to those of a wide variety of diseases. At the initial examination, she is diagnosed very rarely.
Very often people go to the hospital with pain in the intestines. There can be many reasons for these pains, but diverticulosis of the large intestine can be determined only with the help of special examinations and analyzes.
- Consultations of specialists. First of all, in case of severe pain in the abdomen, you should contact a therapist or proctologist, surgeon. It is these specialists who must completely examine all internal organs and decide what treatment is needed.
- Colonoscopy They will allow you to most accurately examine the condition of the rectum and intestines. Also, it is with the help of this analysis that it will be possible to find other bases of painful sensations and bleeding from the anus. These may include hemorrhoids, an anal fissure, or, in the worst case, colon cancer.
- Irrigoscopy. Helps to carefully examine the condition of the large intestine, and accurately determine the location of diverticula.
- Ultrasound of the abdomen. Ultrasound examination will help to directly examine all internal organs. It is with the help of ultrasound that you can discard the presence of serious and very dangerous diseases, the main symptoms of which are also abdominal pain.
- X-ray of the abdominal cavity. This study will help establish the structure of all internal organs and identify dangerous signs of the disease. Its principle of operation is similar to ultrasound. It is worth noting that the presence of a diverticulum cannot be seen in the x-ray. So do not rush to draw conclusions.
Complications of diverticular disease
If diverticulosis of the large intestine is not diagnosed and treated on time, it is possible that the following complications develop:
- Rectal bleeding. This complication can develop due to damage to blood vessels in the immediate vicinity of the diverticulum. A distinctive sign will be an admixture of blood in the feces. The intensity of the bleeding will depend on the caliber of the damaged vessels.
- Perhaps the development of acute diverticulitis - inflammation of existing diverticulums of the sigmoid colon. Inflammation develops due to bacteria that linger on constipation in the diverticulum itself. Symptoms of diverticulitis are abdominal pain, the appearance of mucus in the feces, and fever.
- Perforation (breakthrough) of the diverticulum is one of the most formidable complications of diverticulosis, accompanied by the release of intestinal contents (bacteria and feces) into the abdominal cavity with the subsequent development of peritonitis.
It must be remembered that abdominal pain (especially with fever) is far from a harmless symptom, it can be a sign of a serious pathology.
In order to prevent the development of serious complications, it is necessary to seek medical help in a timely manner, since the early stages of the disease are quickly and effectively treated with the help of modern antibacterial drugs.
What is intestinal perforation? How to recognize the symptoms and start treatment on time?
Colon diverticulosis treatment methods
Diverticulosis is often asymptomatic, but this does not mean that it is not dangerous. This disease can lead to serious complications. That is why the treatment of diverticulosis is necessary. Moreover, it should be started immediately, after the doctor makes a diagnosis, a number of measures should be taken even if the disease does not cause discomfort.
Drug treatment involves the use of antispasmodics, such as No-Shpa.
With an uncomplicated form of diverticulosis, which has clinical manifestations, complex therapy is used. Usually it consists of medication and diet. Patients are prescribed several groups of drugs:
- Antispasmodics, for example, No-shpa or Spasmol.
- Gastrointestinal motility stimulants (Motilak, Motilium, Passasix, etc.),
- Myotropic antispasmodics - Bentsiklan, Papaverine, Drotaverina chloride,
- Anticholinergics: Platifillin, Hyoscine butyl bromide,
- Calcium channel blockers: Pinaveria bromide, mebeverin,
- For better digestion of food, enzymatic agents are recommended.
If diverticulosis of the colon is also accompanied by an inflammatory process, antibiotics may be recommended. The duration of treatment, the route of administration and the dose of drugs are selected individually.
Means for stool regulation
In the treatment of intestinal diverticulosis, it is necessary to abandon the use of stimulant laxatives, since they can lead to increased pressure in the intestine and the occurrence of pain. They should be replaced with osmotic laxatives and drugs that increase the volume of intestinal contents. It could be:
- Lactulose is an osmotic laxative for stool regulation. The initial dose of the drug is 15-45 ml., Supporting - 10-30 ml. in a day. A couple of days after the start of administration, if there is no effect, a dose adjustment can be made.
- Plantain seed peel. A tool made from the seeds of Indian plantain. It softens the intestinal contents and increases its volume. The daily dose may vary from 2 to 6 sachets.
- Astringents, absorbents - bismuth preparations, smectite dioctahedral and others, are recommended when diverticulosis is accompanied by diarrhea syndrome.
- Simethicone and other similar drugs are prescribed in the presence of flatulence.
What diet to follow with intestinal diverticulosis?
A diet for intestinal diverticulosis is the main recommendation of doctors in the treatment of this pathology. Only constant adherence to diet will help to get rid of pain forever.
Dietitians offer a variety of options for a diet table, namely:
- A diet in which fiber is present, but fats and sugar are only allowed in small quantities,
- Long-term vegetarian diet.
Their opinion is based on the fact that the presence of plant components in food accelerates the movement of stool through the intestines. Reducing the amount of sweet and fatty foods will accelerate its "journey" through the digestive tract. With diverticulosis of the colon, a sparing diet is useful.
Diverticulosis of the sigmoid colon develops already in the diseased intestine. When the blood supply is disturbed in it and the inertia of the vessels and muscles is formed. A diet for sigmoid colon diverticulosis is a must.
A doctor can prescribe a long-term vegetarian diet to treat the disease.
A patient with diverticulosis, first of all, needs a consultation with a gastroenterologist. The specialist must determine the state of the intestine, which microflora dominates the intestinal cavity, and find the causes of the development of the disease, which may be the following reasons:
- thinning of the intestinal wall,
- changes in cell tissues,
- processes accompanied by inflammation.
Important! Laboratory diagnosis is required for diagnosis. Colonoscopy of various types is mandatory, irrigoscopy - X-ray contrast examination, blood tests.
A gastroenterologist, looking at the results of the study, draws the following conclusions:
- When the function of intestinal tissues decreased as a result of the thinning of one of its layers, the diverticulosis diet should be based on the use of foods rich in plant fiber, and you should also drink a large amount of liquid - up to 2 liters per day,
- If, as a result of dysbiosis, the associated work of the intestines is disrupted, then nutrition is necessary, which includes fermented milk foods and products that serve as ballast in the stomach,
- With a complication of diverticulosis - diverticulitis and the appearance of seals, you need a sparing diet that contains fiber in small amounts.
Nutrition Tips for Bowel Diverticulosis
To prevent the development of the disease and in order to avoid complications, the patient needs to be serious about drawing up his own menu, taking into account the following:
- Eat small meals
- Products should be well chopped, this facilitates the enveloping of food by enzymes and accelerates the digestion. In this case, the intestinal pressure remains constant,
- The diet should be based on mashed soups and a variety of cereals,
- In between meals, it is necessary to drink up to a liter of liquid, it is better than a decoction of wild rose,
- Exclude coffee and coffee drinks from the menu,
- Include fruits daily in your diet.
Nutrition for intestinal diverticulosis should be monitored daily!
Sample menu and diet for a week
The main principle of making the menu is separate nutrition. It is it that allows the body to make facilitated digestion of food and assimilate the largest amount of the necessary substances. If the patient does not want to adhere to fractional nutrition, then an approximate menu for each day will look like this:
- Breakfast - light fruit salad, traditional cottage cheese mixed with sour cream. From drinks: cocoa, coffee, tea - with milk.
- Lunch - first course, boiled meat, fish. Garnished can be boiled rice, potatoes.
- Dinner - steamed dishes of meat, fish, vegetables.
Do not forget! Drink a glass of cool water an hour before meals.
The diet for sigmoid colon diverticulosis is not very strict, but the following foods should prevail in the main diet:
- fermented milk drinks and products,
- vegetables and fruits,
- fiber foods.
- from fatty foods, fried, smoked,
- dishes with cabbage and mushroom side dishes,
- dairy products
- specific seasonings
- alcohol, strong tea.
A diet for intestinal diverticulosis is the main method of treatment, your health directly depends on how seriously you will treat all the recommendations.
- Monday - vegetarian soups, fruits, sweet tea.
- Tuesday is a day of salads seasoned with olive oil, a vermicelli cooked on a simple broth.
- Wednesday - "apple time", you can eat 1.5-2 kilograms of apples, mixed with unsweetened juice.
- Thursday - the first - fish stock. The second is fish, boiled, vermicelli.
- Friday is “the sweetness of watermelons” (in summer) and “pumpkin time” (in winter). Other fruits can be added to the “winter menu”, that is, to pumpkin porridge.
- Saturday - vegetarian borscht, scrambled eggs (steamed), buckwheat porridge.
- Sunday is a light vegetable soup. Meat (boiled), white meat for meat. Fruits, still drinks.
It is worth noting that a cup of warm milk seasoned with a spoon of honey will have a beneficial effect on the intestinal tract, soothe it, balance the metabolism and remove harmful toxins.
Essential Diet Tips
- In order for the stomach to work "without incident" all day, in the morning it is recommended to drink a glass of water, adding a spoonful of honey to it.
- Despite a strict diet, cereals on the water are great for breakfast.
- From bakery products you need to choose only rye bread.
- Of pasta, whole wheat flour products are preferred.
- It is better to eat fruit with a peel, eating them in between breakfast - lunch - dinner.
- The menu must include a variety of salads.
- Fried potatoes should be replaced with baked potatoes, it is possible in a uniform.
- It is advisable to cook only vegetarian soups, do not forget to add barley to them.
- Beef can be easily replaced with beans, at least partially.
- Refuse completely from sweets and cakes, the best food for dessert is dried apricots, raisins, nuts.
The basis for the treatment of diverticulosis is a balanced diet! But do not sharply limit yourself from all the usual foods for your diet. You can gradually remove prohibited foods, replacing them with more wholesome foods.
It is possible to treat diverticulosis of the sigmoid colon and folk remedies, they can be used as an addition to the prescribed drug therapy and diet. However, this should be done only after consulting a doctor.
Consider a few recipes:
- Bran. You should start bran consumption with a tablespoon, gradually their number must be increased to 40 grams. So that they are better absorbed, they are recommended to be mixed with natural yogurt or kefir and left to swell for thirty minutes.
- Infusion of carrot seeds. It will help eliminate such an unpleasant symptom of intestinal diverticulosis as flatulence. To prepare the product, a tablespoon of seeds should be steamed with a glass of boiling water, insist 15 hours, then strain. It should be taken three times a day for a third of a glass. A similar effect is exerted by dill seeds, if you decide to use them, take a teaspoon of raw materials in a glass of boiling water.
- Plant collection. In equal proportions combine the crushed rose hips, dioica nettle, dill seeds, chamomile and motherwort. In a glass of boiling water, steam a tablespoon of the herbal mixture, leave the composition for an hour and a half, then strain it. The tool should be taken in the morning and shortly before bedtime in half a glass. Course duration - a month. This will help eliminate pain and spasm, relieve inflammation.
Indications for treatment in a hospital
Diverticulosis not complicated by diverticulitis or proceeding without exacerbation of chronic diverticulitis is usually treated on an outpatient basis. The need for hospitalization of the patient occurs in the following cases:
- exacerbation of chronic diverticulitis,
- severe leukocytosis,
- the inability to eat through the mouth,
- severe intoxication,
- severe concomitant diseases
- the presence of immunosuppression in a patient,
- symptoms of irritated peritoneum,
- high temperature (over 39 ° C)
- patient's age over 85 years.
In some cases, surgical treatment of colon diverticulosis may be prescribed. These include:
- complications such as peritonitis, bleeding, perforation,
- development of internal and external intestinal fistulas,
- progressive intestinal obstruction,
- inefficiency of conservative treatment of clinically expressed diverticulosis,
- frequent exacerbations of one of the most common complications of diverticular disease - diverticulitis.
The choice of the method of operation depends on the nature of the complications, inflammatory changes in the tissue of the intestinal wall, diverticulum and surrounding tissues, the presence of peritonitis, and the prevalence of the process. The presence or absence of concomitant diseases and the condition of the patient as a whole is also important.
A few words about the disease
Intestinal diverticulosis is a process accompanied by the formation on the walls of a particular department of the organ of protrusions resembling sacs. The disease is congenital or acquired in nature. Symptoms of pathology with uncomplicated forms are absent or similar to manifestations of other diseases of the digestive system. Diverticulums in the intestine are often diagnosed by chance.
Diverticulosis is accompanied by impaired stool, flatulence, nausea, belching. The complications of the disease include the development of bleeding, intestinal obstruction, inflammation of diverticulums (diverticulitis) and some other conditions.
Rules for alternative treatment for diverticulosis
Since diverticulosis causes disorders of the digestive system, the use of folk remedies is aimed at stabilizing the functioning of the digestive system, enhancing intestinal motility, and preventing constipation and other conditions that provoke complications of the disease.
With colon diverticulosis, treatment with folk remedies is important to coordinate with the attending physician, since even harmless drugs often cause undesirable consequences. For patients using natural products to treat the disease, experts recommend adhering to the following rules:
- The prescription, dosage and duration of medication is negotiated with your doctor.
- During the preparation of the product, you must strictly follow the instructions.
- For the preparation of medicines, only high-quality products are used.
- It is important to exclude the presence of allergies to the components of the recipe.
- In case of deterioration of health, the appearance of rashes on the skin and other side effects, you should stop treatment, consult a doctor.
The effectiveness of the treatment of diverticulosis with folk remedies has not been officially confirmed. The independent use of therapeutic recipes of traditional medicine is not only not beneficial, but also dangerous to health.
Bowel Cleansing Recipe
The inflammatory process and other complications of intestinal diverticulosis often arise due to a delay in feces in the cavities of diverticulums. To improve intestinal motility, traditional medicine recommends using a recipe that includes germinated wheat grains and green apples.
To prepare the product, the apples are grated, the same amount of ground sprouted wheat grains is added to the resulting mass. The mixture is taken instead of breakfast for 250 - 300 g. The course of treatment is 20 to 30 days, after which it is recommended to take a break, if necessary, take the remedy again.
Oatmeal kissel for pathology
A positive effect is observed in the treatment of diverticulosis with oat jelly. For the medicine you need kefir, water and oatmeal. 2.5 liters of boiled chilled water are mixed with 150 ml of kefir, mix thoroughly. 500 g of oatmeal are added to the resulting mixture, mixed again and left for two days in a room with room temperature. After 48 hours, the jelly is filtered, washed with water, again left for 20 hours. The resulting product is used to make jelly. To do this, add 10 tablespoons of concentrate to 500 ml of water, bring to a boil over low heat. Kissel is taken in warm or cool form 1 - 2 times throughout the day.
Plant seeds are a good source of fiber. One of the reasons for diverticulosis is considered to be a deficiency of foods rich in dietary fiber in the human diet. A plantain seed medicine enhances intestinal motility.
Plantain seeds are superior to many cereals in fiber. Even in oatmeal, the amount of dietary fiber is less than in plantain.
It is recommended to consume seeds according to the following scheme:
- Pour a spoonful of water, juice, kefir or yogurt, mix the product well.
- It is important to drink the mixture immediately after preparation, in small sips.
- After 30 minutes, you need to drink another glass of water.
With a sufficient dose, the seeds, once in the stomach, swell and reach the large intestine in larger sizes. This stimulates intestinal motility. Taking the medicine continues until the unpleasant symptoms of the pathology are completely eliminated.
Flax has a positive effect on the entire digestive system. For medicinal purposes, use plant seeds or linseed oil. Oil is taken on an empty stomach, which allows you to protect the mucous membrane of the digestive tract throughout the day. Plant seeds are similar in effect to plantain seeds. Upon contact with the liquid, the product swells, providing a therapeutic effect in the fight against diverticulosis. Seeds are introduced into the daily diet for 1 tbsp. l, washing down the product with enough water.
An inflammatory process left without treatment can end not only with a long hospitalization, but also cause a surgical intervention.
A disease that has become chronic causes certain types of complications.
- An abscess is a pus-filled area in the abdominal cavity that is swollen and painful. It is characterized by fever intensification, stool retention, nausea, vomiting and bloating.
- Perforation of the intestine requires a surgical method of intervention, just like the formation of voids (fistulas) between healthy organs and the patient. To restore the organ's working capacity, the damaged parts of the intestine are completely removed to patients.
- Infection of the body with pus that has fallen into the blood. As a result, peritonitis develops. If abscesses form on the skin of the abdominal wall or organ adjacent to it, then the patient has external and internal fistulas.
- Blocking the passage of feces and food, causing intestinal obstruction and adhesions.
Features of the treatment of diverticulosis
The main goal in the treatment of diverticulosis is to eliminate the cause of inflammation, relieve pain, prevent relapse and eliminate the infection in order to avoid complications. Classification of diverticulosis, giving an assessment of the patient's condition, allows you to choose the right methods of treatment of the intestine.
- Asymptomatic diverticulosis - complete absence of symptoms.
- Clinically expressed disease - cramping, malfunction of the digestive tract, changes in microflora.
- A complicated form of the disease is treated by surgery:
- peritoneal infiltrate,
- perforation of the diverticulum,
- fistula of the rectum,
- intestinal bleeding.
To eliminate the risk of diverticulosis and minimize the likelihood of recurrence of the disease, you need to monitor your daily diet, including foods rich in fiber and fiber. It should be borne in mind that abuse of the latter can lead to flatulence, diarrhea and bloating.
- Fiber-rich crops are good for the intestines - spinach, carrots, different types of cabbage, pumpkin, bananas, apples and others.
- Buckwheat porridge, bran, flaxseed and sunflower seeds, vegetable oils are indispensable for digestion.
- During treatment, it is imperative that the food contains a sufficient amount of the necessary vitamins. Pomegranate, orange, pumpkin, carrot and other freshly squeezed juices are best suited for treatment.
- The diverticulosis is suppressed by broths, steamed leafy vegetables and beets, celery.
- The use of walnuts, peanuts, almonds and whole grains, red meat is possible only after consulting a specialist.
- Mandatory daily intake of products that eliminate bloating in the intestines and help facilitate excrement. These include yogurt, kefir, sauerkraut.
- The use of alcohol-containing drinks is not advisable, since they kill the positive microflora.
- Nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs should be taken in consultation with your doctor. Their use can accelerate the development of the disease.
Physical activity, proper nutrition, and maintaining normal weight are the main methods of combating intestinal diverticulosis.
The intensity of the load depends on the preparedness of a person and his state of health. People with chronic diseases should engage in strengthening sports without resorting to intensive training.
What is diverticulosis, how the disease develops and the basics of its treatment can be found in the video:
You can learn about proper nutrition for diverticulosis for the treatment and maintenance of intestinal health from the video: