If your lower abdomen hurts, this is more of a subjective perception than an objective sensation, so examining patients with such a complaint can be difficult.
If your lower abdomen hurts, you need to understand that the causes of pain in this area of the epigastrium are great, and they can be conditionally divided, so to speak, by sex - typically male symptoms and signs of pain, characteristic only for the female body. In addition, there are common symptoms inherent in men and women, and the elderly, and children.
The lower abdomen hurts, the causes of pain in men
Representatives of the stronger sex also suffer from pain in the lower abdomen, however, somewhat less often than women, in whom they can sometimes be monthly. If a man has a very low abdominal pain, most often they bravely endure pain in the lower abdomen, despite the possible serious dangers that lie behind this symptom. And the causes of pain in the lower abdomen can be as follows:
- Inflammatory processes in the gastrointestinal tract, stomach ulcer or duodenal ulcer. Pain, usually aching with chronic diseases and acute, cramping with exacerbation of the disease.
- Inflammation of the appendix, the appendix, which is localized in the lower right abdomen, near the colon. The pain can be varied in nature, not always manifested in the right zone of the epigastrium. One of the characteristic signs of appendicitis is acute pain in the lower abdomen, nausea, vomiting, and fever.
- Diverticulitis, in which pain in the lower abdomen can be localized in the lower left abdomen. In addition to pain, inflammation of the diverticulum is accompanied by nausea, low-grade fever.
- Inguinal hernia, which is a rather serious pathology, can be infringed and cause acute pain in the lower abdomen, nausea, vomiting, and even loss of consciousness. This condition requires emergency surgical care.
- Inflammation in the kidneys, pyelonephritis or stones are also a provoking factor that causes pain in the lower abdomen in men.
- The inflammatory process in the testicles (orchitis) or appendages can also provoke pain in the groin.
Fortunately, an oncological process in the intestine is a rare cause of pain in the lower abdomen. Pain can manifest itself at a late stage of the disease, when the tumor reaches a large size and presses on nearby organs.
The lower abdomen hurts in men and due to chronic, often asymptomatic at the initial stage of development, diseases of the genitourinary system. If this is chronic cystitis, then the first signal is a violation of urination, which gradually goes into the acute stage until the urine is retained. An overflowing, inflamed bladder causes dull and then severe pain in the lower abdomen at first. In addition to cystitis, prostate can also be the cause of lower abdominal pain in men. The inflammatory process in the prostate gland develops, as a rule, slowly, often without obvious symptoms. When clinical signs appear, it can be said that prostatitis passes into the stage of exacerbation. Pain usually begins with pulling sensations, which the man tries to patiently endure. If prostatitis is not treated, the pain in the lower abdomen becomes more pronounced, gives to the groin and the testicular zone, especially severe pain accompanies the process of urination. In addition to the fact that the state of health of a man can hardly be called good, he is tormented by constant pain in the lower abdomen, and his sexual activity is disturbed.Prostatitis, not detected in a timely manner, can aggravate the course of another serious disease - prostate adenoma. Pain in the lower abdomen with adenoma is characteristic, it appears due to severe narrowing and squeezing of the urethra, as a rule, painful sensations are permanent and provoke urges for night and day frequent urination. Adenoma is accompanied by a significant deterioration in the patient's condition, urinary retention often lead to renal pathologies, sexual function decreases.
All conditions that cause persistent chronic pain or acute, sharp pain, accompanied by nausea, a drop in pressure, require medical attention, often emergency.
Why does lower abdomen hurt in women?
Common physiological reasons for the fair sex are premenstrual pain, a painful menstrual cycle, pressure from the uterus on the bladder, which can also be full. Lower abdomen hurts often during menstruation - this is the most common complaint of lower abdominal pain in gynecological practice. Family troubles, physical and sexual violence, abuse of alcohol, drugs and other stressful effects can also be realized in the form of painful sensations. Among the factors causing pain in the lower abdomen, one can name overflow of the large intestine and diverticulosis, spasms of an empty stomach, the first three months of bearing a child, when the muscles and ligaments of the abdomen are stretched. Also, pain in the lower abdomen in women can be caused by causes of a pathological nature, among which the following are most often encountered:
The inflammatory process, acute or chronic, in the female genital organs - ovaries, uterine body, in the vagina or in the fallopian tubes. Often a woman hurts and pulls the lower abdomen due to ovarian cysts that have grown to large sizes or because of chronic adnexitis, pain can cause colpitis or adhesions, endometriosis or a benign formation in the uterine myometrium - fibromyoma. Most often, in addition to pain, these diseases are accompanied by fever, secretions, and weakness. Analytical studies of blood serum show an increased level of white blood cells, confirming the inflammatory process.
Why does the lower abdomen in women hurt if the cause is clearly not of a gynecological nature? Various inflammatory processes of the urinary organs, such as cystitis, pyelonephritis or kidney stones, can be factors that provoke pain in the lower abdomen. Blood tests also show an increase in the level of leukocytes, in the urine they find both leukocytes and red blood cells, the urine itself darkens, it becomes cloudy, often with interspersed purulent elements. In addition to pain in the lower abdomen, the above diseases can cause an increase in body temperature, pain during urination, severe swelling.
Pathological processes in the pelvic organs can also provoke pain in the lower abdomen in women. This can be a different size hernia, diverticulosis of the large intestine. Permanent constipation is a functional disease called megacolon, in which the walls of the large intestine hypertrophy and the intestine itself constantly thickens. In addition to the fact that the lower abdomen is very sore, often diseases are accompanied by poor appetite, general fatigue, flatulence, hemorrhagic venous thrombosis of the rectal part of the digestive system.
If the lower abdomen hurts, the causes can be even more serious - these are oncological diseases such as tumors - cancer of the body of the uterus and ovaries.
All diseases that require urgent surgical care can also cause pain in the lower abdomen, although these conditions are most often accompanied by characteristic features that are called “acute abdomen” in surgical practice.This is appendicitis, protrusion of the wall (diverticulum) of the ileum - Meckel’s syndrome, which, in addition to pain, is manifested by vomiting and blood in the stool. Often, the woman’s lower abdomen hurts due to inversion of the sigmoid colon, torsion of the leg of the ovarian cyst, rupture of the cyst, perforation of the ulcer and ectopic tube pregnancy, torsion of the subperitoneal uterine fibroids. Each of these serious diseases can end badly if timely medical care is not provided. In addition to the fact that the temperature rises, acute abdominal pain occurs, these conditions are characterized by a sharp drop in blood pressure, nausea, severe weakness until loss of consciousness.
Among the causes may be infectious diseases, including intoxication. In addition to pain in the epigastric region, a woman often has diarrhea, vomiting, and an increase in body temperature.
Pain in the lower abdomen can be caused by extragenital factors, but most often the pain symptom is a sign of gynecological disorders, among which the following are most common:
- Apoplexy, rupture of the ovary. In this case, there may be bleeding into the peritoneum or rupture of the capsule without hemorrhage, but both types of apoplexy are accompanied by severe pain.
- Congenital pathology that interferes with the normal development of the genital organs and interferes with the outflow of blood.
- Primary or secondary menalgia or algodismenorrhea - severe pain during the menstrual cycle.
- Pathological inflammatory processes in the pelvic organs, passing into the acute stage.
- Torsion legs of various types of cysts or uterine appendages.
- Rupture of a purulent or simple large cyst.
- Hyperstimulation of ovarian function due to the use of hormonal drugs.
- Interruption of an ectopic, tubal pregnancy is a condition requiring emergency surgical care.
- Uterine fibroids, which increases in size.
- Inflammation of the endometrium, adnexitis, parametritis.
- Necrosis of the fibroid tissue or its torsion, this applies to fibroids growing towards the peritoneum (subserous formations).
- The development of fibroids, growing in the submucosal tissue, towards the uterus is a submucous formation.
- The threat of miscarriage in the early or late stages of bearing a child.
- Mechanical injuries of the peritoneum and walls of the uterus (shock, fall, accident and so on).
- Iatrogenic injury with minor surgery, including uterine perforation during abortion - abortion.
- Tuberculosis of the pelvic organs.
- Fusion of the cervical canal and violation of the outflow of blood during menstruation - atresia.
- The accumulation of fluid secretion in the abdominal cavity, the cyst - serosocele.
- An intrauterine device, installed incorrectly, causing pain.
- Varicose veins, pathological expansion of the venous system of the pelvis.
Also, a woman’s lower abdomen hurts greatly with diverticulitis, perforation of a stomach or intestinal ulcer, and when an irreparable hernia is infringed. In addition, pain in the lower abdomen can be associated with advanced cystitis, pyelonephritis in the acute stage, granulomatous enteritis (Crohn's disease), and the oncological process.
Causes of lower abdominal pain
Pain in the lower abdomen can be caused by inflammatory processes.
Pain in the lower quadrant of the abdomen can be sharp, dull, cramping, cutting and stitching.
They can give in the leg, the area of the anus, intensify during exercise and when visiting the toilet, accompanied by problems with urination and defecation. The main causes of pain in the lower abdomen in men:
- bladder inflammation,
- renal colic,
- venereal diseases,
- infringement of a hernia, including the spine,
- intestinal inflammation, obstruction,
- prostate diseases
- oncopathology of the prostate, testicles, penis.
Often the symptoms of these diseases are similar.Therefore, you should not diagnose yourself. Active actions should be started with a visit to the urologist, since most of the diseases relate specifically to his specialization. If you suspect inflammation of the appendix or intestines, cancer, the doctor will redirect you to the right specialist.
Urinary tract diseases
Pain in the lower abdomen is a sign of a disease of the urethra.
Cystitis is considered a female disease, since the urethra of the fair sex is shorter and wider than in men and the pathological microflora reaches the bladder faster.
But the strong half of humanity is not safe from this. Bladder inflammation is a complication of urethritis, an inflammatory process in the urethra. The cause may be hypothermia, STDs. Symptoms of cystitis and urethritis:
- burning and pain in the urethra,
- painful urination
- cloudy urine, threads or clots of pus,
- swelling of the edge of the urethra,
- lower abdominal pain,
- in nasal cases, nausea.
Similar symptoms are observed with the passage of sand or stones with renal colic. Stones, passing the ureters, cause severe, cramping pain. The patient does not find a place, rushing around.
If the stones are not large or sand is torn away, then the symptoms may be blurry, and the pains are pulling and of moderate intensity.
Appendicitis - causes abdominal pain.
The inflammatory process in the appendix gives severe pain in the lower right quadrant of the abdomen.
At the initial stage of the disease, they can be pulling, but with the development of pathology, the pain syndrome intensifies. Additional symptoms:
- defecation disorder
- the patient lies on his side, bending his legs,
- blood and urine tests show high leukocytosis.
When such symptoms appear, hospitalization in the hospital of a surgical profile is indicated.
Dull pulling pains in the lower abdomen accompany such pathologies in the gastrointestinal tract:
- inflammatory processes in the intestines,
- pathology in the sigmoid colon,
- intestinal obstruction.
Additional symptoms join the pain syndrome. In inflammatory processes, it is nausea and vomiting, diarrhea, or vice versa constipation, flatulence, bloating, and the temperature may rise.
With obstruction, in addition to pain, desire and urges to defecate remain, but it is impossible to implement it. As the pathological process increases, the patient begins to fever, vomiting of fecal masses may open. In this case, the patient is shown immediate hospitalization in the surgical department of the hospital.
Pathologies of the sigmoid colon are accompanied by pain that is given to the lower back and left leg. Pain syndrome is aggravated by movement and bowel movements. The causes of the pathology are dysbiosis, infectious damage, treatment with aggressive drugs and procedures.
Sexually transmitted diseases - gonorrhea, syphilis, defeat by Trichomonas, opportunistic microorganisms such as chlamydia or ureplasma - in addition to specific symptoms specific to them, they can cause pain in the lower abdomen. This symptom is characteristic of a prolonged course of an untreated inflammatory process.
Alcohol abuse affects the prostate.
The prostate is a tender, necessary and vulnerable organ. The normal functioning of the male reproductive system depends on the quality of his work.
The inflammatory disease of this gland is called prostatitis. The infection enters the prostate from the urethra, bladder, intestines.
But in itself rarely causes an inflammatory process. A combination of adverse circumstances is required. At risk are:
- sedentary men
- persons who have an excessively active sex life. But its complete absence is unfavorable
- affects the prostate
- chronic defecation disorder,
- systemic and prolonged hypothermia,
- alcohol abuse.
The disease can develop acutely, but may be sluggish chronic. Symptoms of the disease:
- Problems with urination - pain during the process, sluggish stream, frequent urges with a small amount of urine released.
- An increase in temperature during an acute process. Without proper treatment, septic shock can begin with a decrease in temperature to 35 degrees.
- Pain in the lower abdomen and anus.
- Long treatment with preventive courses. The prognosis for early treatment is favorable. But without treatment, it is extremely unfavorable.
Testicular inflammatory diseases
Inflammatory testicular diseases can cause fever.
Orchitis is an inflammation of one or both testicular glands in a man.
This disease is a consequence or complication of infectious and viral diseases, gonorrhea, syphilis, damage to the fungal flora, tuberculosis, brucellosis. Symptoms of testicular pathology:
- pain in the affected organ
- drawing pains in the lower abdomen and in the sacrum,
- organ is enlarged
- temperature up to 39 degrees in the acute process and up to 38 in the chronic,
- general weakness.
Without treatment, the likelihood of developing an abscess is high. Infertility develops. In the chronic process, infertility takes on a stable form.
Orchitis can be combined with the inflammatory process in the epididymis - epididymitis. Conservative treatment is aimed at suppressing an infectious or other agent. With the ineffectiveness of therapy and the presence of an abscess or infiltrates in the scrotum, surgical intervention is indicated.
Oncopathology of the prostate and testicles
With diseases of the prostate, a urination disorder is observed.
Prostate and testicular cancer is a group of malignant diseases of the male reproductive system.
Oncopathology of the prostate develops in old age. Often, the prognosis is poor due to late visits to the doctor.
Testicular cancer, in contrast, is characteristic of young men in the active reproductive period. Well treatable.
A man with a diagnosis of testicular cancer has a very high chance of becoming a father. Symptoms of oncological diseases of the prostate:
- urination disorders - increased bladder emptying time, a feeling of incomplete emptying,
- pain in the lower abdomen.
Treatment is both conservative with the use of chemotherapy drugs, radiation, and surgical treatment with complete or partial removal of the organ. Testicular cancer has the following symptoms:
- the presence of compaction in the structure of the organ,
- drawing pains in the lower abdomen
- sometimes a sharp pain syndrome with tissue necrosis,
- inflammation of the appendages of the body.
Already at the first stage of oncopathology, the appearance of secondary tumors in the nearest lymphatic collectors is possible.
Therapeutic tactics depend on the type of tumor. Currently, complex treatment methods are shown that combine radiation before and after surgery, removal of the neoplasm, massive chemotherapy.
The video tells about the causes of pain and rumbling in the abdomen:
Dull pain in the lower abdomen is an uncharacteristic sign of a large number of diseases, both the reproductive system and the kidneys and intestines.
Do not self-medicate. With some pathologies, this is a waste of valuable time.
Begin the examination with a visit to the urologist. Since most of the diseases with pain in the lower abdomen are his specialization. This is fearless, although it can be unpleasant. But, you are a man, not a little peanut!
Pain in the lower abdomen is more often treated by women, but similar complaints are found among men. If unpleasant sensations arose sharply - this often becomes the reason for calling the ambulance crew.By themselves, pains in the lower abdomen in men are not some specific symptom and can indicate different diseases. For a more accurate diagnosis, it is important to correctly characterize the doctor the pain itself, its localization. In men, these symptoms signal a serious illness that cannot be triggered.
Why do men have lower abdominal pains?
Complaints of pain in the pelvic region are rare for men and indicate an acute inflammatory process of the internal organs, which can go into a chronic state without proper treatment. This is the reason why the lower abdomen hurts. Unpleasant sensations can occur during sexual intercourse, coughing, urination. There are cases when the pain is not associated with diseases, for example, with regular constipation, appendicitis, while running or when injured in this area. Cramping in the lower abdomen is caused by problems with the following organs:
- the bladder
- seminal vesicles
- prostate gland
- large intestine
- small intestine.
The vast majority of women who go to the hospital with lower abdominal pain are associated with diseases of the reproductive system. In men, this reason is extremely rare, more often in the stronger sex, inflammatory processes of the digestive tract or urinary tract occur. It is important not to waste time and not to delay visiting a doctor if you cut the lower abdomen, not to bring the problem to a chronic state.
Possible causes of pain
- Inflammation of the testis and / or epididymis.
- Bowel obstruction.
- Malignant or benign tumor of the genitourinary system.
- Renal colic, urolithiasis.
- Delayed outflow of urine in acute form.
- Urogenital inflammation. We are talking about the bladder (cystitis), inflammation of the prostate (prostatitis). Pain during urination may become stronger or weaker. Sometimes it radiates to the penis, anus, and scrotum.
Localization and nature of pain
When you visit a doctor at the reception, a mandatory questioning of the patient about the nature of the pain (stitching, cutting, dull, aching, cramping, encircling) and the localization site (right, left, in the middle of the lower back, in the center of the abdomen) takes place. An accurate description will help the doctor correctly determine which internal organs project this pain and prescribe treatment.
What is left lower abdomen:
- part of the colon
- possible development and infringement of hernia.
What is located on the lower right abdomen:
- appendix - inflammation of the appendix
- kidneys - inflammation or renal colic,
- ureter - inflammation,
- gall bladder - inflammation,
- part of the colon and small intestine - infringement or inflammation,
- genitourinary organs.
- With spasms of smooth muscles, human tubular organs, pain of a different nature may manifest. Strong and sharp pains, colic, contractions are possible.
- In inflammatory processes, the pain, as a rule, is constant and smoothly growing.
- Hepatic and renal colitis manifests itself in the form of spasmodic pain.
These characteristics give the doctor only a general idea of the disease, additional tests are required. There are atypical manifestations of the disease, for example, with "spasmodic" symptoms, the pain can be pulling or dull. There are cases when, with appendicitis, the patient complains of colic, which is due to the reaction of the membrane of the appendix to the overlap of the lumen.
The disease is an inflammatory process of the prostate gland. The causative agent, as a rule, is atypical microflora. Infection has many routes of entry: from neighboring organs, through the bloodstream, or during medical procedures. A provoking factor is sometimes a change in sexual activity (prolonged abstinence or too active sexual life), a sedentary lifestyle, decreased immunity, and obesity.
In acute form, prostatitis is characterized by pain in the lower abdomen in men, when discomfort is given to the perineum, sacrum or anus. Sometimes the pain can go to the external genitalia, the inner thighs. The intensity of the symptoms varies depending on the form of inflammation. Characteristic signs will be frequent urge to urinate, fever, severity and stool disorders (constipation).
The disease is an inflammation of the seminal vesicles. They are located on the sides of the prostate gland, are involved in the production of sperm. Vesiculitis often becomes a complication of epididymitis, urethritis or prostatitis, but sometimes it also acts as an independent disease. Often the pain along the spermatic cord is transmitted to the testicles. It becomes stronger when the bladder is full, which creates pressure on the seminal vesicles.
Spermatic colic is characteristic of this disease - acute pain during ejaculation in the testicles, perineum and lower abdomen. This happens due to a violation of the secret evacuation during ejaculation. In acute vesiculitis, a fever, a pulsating pain syndrome is observed. With untimely treatment and the transition of the disease to the chronic stage, sexual disorders (frequent erections, persistent excitability, pollutions) occur, which leads to infertility.
In atypical cases with appendicitis, discomfort can begin in the center of the abdomen, but often the pain appears sharply in the lower right side. This indicates acute appendicitis, which requires surgical intervention. Otherwise, a fatal outcome is possible. In order to avoid sad consequences in the event of a sharp and growing pain in the right side, you should go to the hospital or call an ambulance. Symptoms worsen when walking and fade while lying down, accompanied by a fever, vomiting, and nausea.
For bowel diseases
When the left side hurts in the lower abdomen, this indicates a possible lesion of the sigmoid colon. This section of the intestine is located under the rectum. Frequent loose stools (diarrhea), bloating, painful urge to defecate are characteristic of the disease. The nature of the pain depends on the severity of the inflammation: sharp cramping or pulling, aching. Various factors can cause intestinal inflammation: dysentery, circulatory disorders, ulcerative colitis, cancer, etc.
With cystitis and inflammation of the kidneys
The disease cystitis, inflammation of the bladder, is more common in women. In men, due to the fact that the urinary canal is long and curved, the infection does not reach the bladder directly. Cystitis, as a rule, becomes a consequence of other diseases, for example, prostatitis, urethritis. In the described case, the pain in the lower abdomen in men will be in the suprapubic region, pain will also arise during urination. In the acute form, there will be periodically blood-purulent discharge.
The cause of persistent shooting pain in men on the right or left, frequent urination may be renal colic. People are used to the fact that the kidneys relate more to the back than to the stomach, and painful contractions do not correlate with this organ. The cause of the pain is urolithiasis. It is equally often diagnosed in men and women. Surgical intervention is not necessary, but discomfort cannot be ignored, because in the future there is a secondary infection or acute urinary retention.
Urgent measures for acute pain
- Call an ambulance.
- Put the patient on the sofa, provide peace, access to fresh air.
- Make a cooling compress on the lower abdomen. Keep no more than half an hour.
- You can take 2 tablets of no-shpa (no more).
- You should know what you can’t do: enemas, laxatives are prohibited.This will complicate the diagnosis.
- The patient should refrain from food and drink. With acute thirst, you can moisten your lips, tongue.
Video about lower abdominal pain
It is generally accepted in us that a man should be able to endure pain, not pay attention to it, because it is precisely in this that the manifestation of masculinity consists. But, from the point of view of physicians, any pain is a signal of a pathology that has appeared in the body, so ignoring it is, at least, stupid, but mostly just dangerous.
The causes of pain in the lower abdomen in men and women, as you know, vary slightly. And today we will try to figure out what causes these alarming symptoms in the stronger sex, and which diseases can be behind it.
How the lower abdomen hurts in men with cystitis and prostatitis
Most often in men, pain in the lower abdomen is caused by diseases of the urinary system, such as cystitis. It can be described as aching, pulling, aggravated by urination. At the same time, the frequency of going to the toilet also increases markedly. Occasionally, cystitis may be accompanied by a slight increase in temperature.
No less common cause of pain in the lower abdomen in men is prostatitis. Pain in this disease is characterized as cutting and pulling, extending to the groin and testicles. When urinating, the pain becomes especially pronounced. This disease is also accompanied by a weakening erection.
With prostate adenoma, dull, pressing pain is caused by urinary retention due to a strong narrowing of the urinary canal. This disease is accompanied by a noticeable increase in the urge to "little by little", aggravating at night. In a severe stage, urinary retention and erectile dysfunction appear - this requires immediate hospitalization of the patient in the urology department.
Pain in the lower abdomen in a man caused by varicocele and kidney disease
With varicocele, the expansion of the veins of the testis and spermatic cord, the pain manifests itself most often on the left, giving into the scrotum. In advanced cases, it has a bursting character, the scrotum increases significantly and sags, and the left testicle decreases markedly. Curved veins are clearly contoured.
Kidney stones or inflammation in them (pyelonephritis) is also accompanied by pain in the groin, chills, fever, and often nausea. Such pain appears suddenly, lasts from a couple of minutes to several days and requires a mandatory examination by a specialist.
Pain in the lower abdomen in a man with bowel disease and appendicitis
Various pathologies in the intestine can also cause pain in the lower abdomen. This may be, for example, intestinal obstruction. If it formed in the large or small intestine, then the pain is localized mainly in the lower abdomen, characterized as dull spastic. She is accompanied by a delay in bowel movements, while urges on her remain preserved. Untreated obstruction causes general weakness, dizziness, nausea, fever and vomiting of feces.
Appendicitis is another cause of pain in men. The lower abdomen, for information, in this case does not begin to hurt immediately. The first symptoms are painful sensations in the navel area, which, amplifying, fall lower and are accompanied by an increase in temperature and a single vomiting. Suspicions of appendicitis require urgent medical attention!
Do not ignore the pain, do not tolerate it, but best of all, consult a specialist to avoid serious health problems!
What pain is called pulling?
The pain can be localized in the lower abdomen, above the pubis, below on the right side or on the left. Drawing pain usually aching, lasts at least half an hour, moderately strong, but not sharp and not cramping.It brings tangible discomfort to a person, if you take a comfortable position, then the pain may subside, but sipping sensations will still be present. Such pain usually lasts for a while, then subsides and returns again.
The causes of lower abdominal pain in men can be:
- Tumor neoplasms in the intestine. Then the pain can spread throughout the stomach.
- Inflammation of the prostate gland. The pain is localized in the lower abdomen, may radiate to the lower back.
- Digestive system pathologies (diverticulitis, viral hepatitis, colitis, enteritis, sigmoiditis). Depending on which organ is affected, abdominal pain can be observed constantly, periodically, occur after eating (if the stomach presses on the colon). Such pains are characterized as bursting, but sometimes the lower abdomen also pulls.
- Spinal diseases.
- Testicular inflammationthat causes pain in the lower abdomen on the left or right side.
- Kidney disease and other organs of the genitourinary system.
Aching unpleasant pain in women in the lower abdomen can be for the following reasons.
- with menstruation, the stomach hurts, and constant pain can also be observed in the middle of the cycle. At its end, the symptoms go away, or the pain becomes weak. Also, it may be more noticeable during physical exertion, so on such days it is better to relax and not lift anything heavy.
- during menopause, women complain of the presence of pulling pains in the abdomen, especially below. This is a normal condition, but even it should be supervised by a doctor.
- during pregnancy, drawing pains can sometimes appear, and closer to the time of birth intensify and be observed more and more often. This is due to the fact that the fetus, which is located in the uterus, grows and increases in size, and accordingly begins to compress other organs in the abdominal cavity.
With increased pressure on the bladder in a pregnant woman, frequent urination is different. An enlarged uterus presses on the intestines and therefore pains can occur in the right side, or the left side may be affected, depending on which there is more pressure.
Earlier, the muscles of the abdominal cavity felt freer, but now, due to the “interesting position” of the woman, they feel constant tension. Sometimes constipation can become the cause of pulling pain, because the fetus interferes with the active promotion of feces, compressing the intestinal wall.
- female diseases (endometriosis, endometritis, cervical cancer and others),
- commissures are formed to protect the bodythat give a person pain. With the help of adhesions, the body tries to localize the inflammatory process in one place, preventing it from spreading to other organs, which is good and not very, since adhesions can cause chronic abdominal pain,
- spinal diseases,
- genitourinary system diseases (cystitis, pyelonephritis, glomerunonephritis). Most often, the pain will be in the lower abdomen in the middle, but sometimes it can be on the right or left side. In case of a stone leaving the kidneys or bladder, the pain can be sharp, and then change to a pulling one, everything will depend on how long the stone goes out.
- The same bowel diseaseas in men
- oncological diseases of the childbearing organs,
- algodismenorea. With menstruation, abdominal pain is observed in most women and this is normal, since the delicate mucosa is very sensitive to uterine contractions. But sometimes the pain is pathologically severe and can lead to fainting, nausea, and vomiting. Most often, this happens constantly every time from the moment of two years after the start of the first menstruation. You can’t treat such pain, but you can help a woman feel the symptoms less strongly,
- drawing pain in the lower abdomen may occur after intercourseespecially for the first time.After deprivation of virginity, the pain usually goes away, but if the size of the penis of a man is large enough, then he can periodically pull the lower abdomen. It is also possible due to the presence of an abnormal septum of the vagina or its length is too short.
Judging by the above points, women may have much more reasons for concern. But their abdominal pains can be caused by the physiological state, in men it is always a sign of pathology. So a man, having felt a pulling pain in the lower abdomen, should immediately consult a doctor to establish the cause of this phenomenon.
A woman may initially think whether this symptom is normal and if so, then there is no reason to visit a doctor. But if none of the physiological conditions of the woman is noted, or other symptoms are added to the abdominal pain (spotting from the vagina, severe weakness, headaches, nausea), then it is better to consult a doctor about this.
Recipe E. Malysheva for constipation
My dears, to normalize digestion and stool, to remove constipation, you will not be helped by expensive pills, but by the simplest, long-forgotten recipe. Write down soon, brew 1 tbsp. a spoon.
To find out why pulling pains in the lower abdomen occurred:
- lie on your back and palpate your abdomen,
- if the pain is sharp and severe, and not pulling, then you should not do this so as not to damage the organs and provoke a rupture, you only need to call an ambulance,
- Having established the exact location of abdominal pain, suggest what might cause it. If the cause is menstruation, menopause, pregnancy and this condition is not your first time, then treatment can be carried out at home, without consulting a doctor,
- if you have determined the physiological cause of the pain, take a position that is convenient for you: while sitting, lying on your back or on your side, to relieve the feeling of tension, drink an antispasmodic,
- if the pulling feeling continues to torment you for more than several hours, then you need to immediately call an ambulance,
- if you don’t see the objective reasons for the occurrence of pulling sensations in the lower abdomen, then it’s better to consult a doctor (for a start you can contact a therapist, and he will already advise you to a specialist, women can immediately make an appointment with a gynecologist),
You will definitely need to pass the following tests and undergo examinations:
What do Israeli proctologists say about constipation?
Constipation is very dangerous and very often this is the first symptom of hemorrhoids! Few people know, but getting rid of it is very simple. Only 3 cups of this tea per day will relieve you of constipation, flatulence and other problems with the gastrointestinal tract.
- Ultrasound of the abdominal cavity and pelvis,
- bacteriological culture of urine or vaginal discharge,
- general analysis of blood and urine,
- X-ray examination
- blood donation for hormones,
- for women, colposcopy (deep examination of the vagina) and hysterosalpinography (examination of the fallopian tubes).
A gynecologist, proctologist, urologist, traumatologist, surgeon, rheumatologist can examine the patient. The choice of a specialist will depend on what disease is expected.
If you have established the physiological nature of abdominal pain, then you can take an antispasmodic or pain medication, try to relax or sleep. In this case, a pulling feeling passes after a few hours and with every moment becomes less noticeable. But if you do not know what it is, then it is better not to self-medicate, so as not to stop the symptoms of the onset of the disease, but to identify it in the early stages.
In this case, the doctor will diagnose and prescribe the treatment, depending on the diagnosis. Here, it may be appropriate to use antiseptics for inflammation, antibiotics for bacterial infections, radiation and chemotherapy for malignant neoplasms, surgical intervention in the presence of a hernia, or any other therapy selected individually.
Therefore, having noticed the pulling pains in your lower abdomen, try to see a doctor as soon as possible, especially if they bother you for a long time, have a chronic nature or occur along with other symptoms.A good doctor will choose the treatment for your disease, not a symptom, and this is much more effective than spending your whole life on painkillers without treatment for a reason. Having been treated once in this way, it will be possible to forget about abdominal pains, if not forever, then certainly for a long time.
Even advanced constipation and flatulence can be cured at home, without diets and hospitals. Just remember to drink once a day.
Pain has a character
From how exactly the patient describes the pain, accurately describes the place of its appearance, the doctor will be able to quickly diagnose. Failure can occur in the work of many systems of the musculoskeletal system, be a sign of a nervous disorder.
It is not enough to say how pain is felt, it is better to give it a characteristic. It can be sharp, sharp, stitching, start suddenly or after consuming a certain product, as a result of constipation or increased formation of intestinal gases. Soreness sometimes comes in contractions or pulsates with jerks from the inside, there is a return to other places - in the lower back, anus, penis, and perineum.
If the pain appears suddenly, this indicates the occurrence of acute inflammation. Throbbing pain indicates a sluggish process of a gradual increase in internal pressure in the hollow organs with obstruction of the channels for the discharge of urine or feces.
Doctors have found out what is the most effective remedy for worms! According to statistics, every 5 Russians have worms. Read more a recipe that will help cleanse the body of worms in just 7 days.
Pain can be given to other places during physical exertion, for example, inclines, turns. It can also hurt more when coughing, sneezing. Chills may appear, nausea, possibly fever. When pain in the lower abdomen occurs, they turn to the therapist, andrologist. If necessary, he directs to a urologist, if necessary - to a proctologist or traumatologist.
When you need to go to the hospital immediately
There are situations in which it is urgent to call emergency doctors. Existing symptoms indicate a difficult situation. It is permitted by urgent medical intervention.
Signs of danger:
- severe aching pain in the lower abdomen changes rapidly, becomes sharp, begins to pulsate. It’s dangerous when it doesn’t stop for more than an hour, the stomach is tense,
- urinary retention, even with a strong desire, urination cannot be done due to pain,
- blood streaks in the urine,
- sharp pain increases with any movement - sneezing, turning,
- the stomach is hard, difficulties with defecation, gas discharge (signs of intestinal obstruction),
- black feces, there are streaks of blood - signs of internal bleeding,
- along with soreness, palpitations, a decrease in blood pressure, nausea, excessive sweating are felt,
- fainting condition is observed.
Before the arrival of physicians, a person should be put to bed. Do not give medications, water, and food on your own. At high temperature, it is recommended to put a cold, damp cloth on your forehead, you need to change it when warming. With severe thirst, wet the patient's lips and tongue.
Inflammation of the appendix
There are several pathologies that require immediate surgery. This is an inflammation of the appendix. It is located in the lower abdomen on the right. The pain begins near the navel, then goes down. Medical practice shows that with this disease, soreness is manifested individually, but always acute, often there is vomiting, unpleasant constant nausea.
If you suspect an appendicitis, you can not drink drugs against pain, it is strictly contraindicated to apply heat or cold to the stomach.
Hernia in the groin
Another reason for urgent hospitalization is the infringement of a hernia in the groin.This is a protrusion of the outward internal organ through the inguinal opening. Injury can be detected by examination in appearance. You will see a swelling of a certain area of the groin on one side, asymmetry. In a horizontal position, the protrusion may disappear. The pains will be aching, pulling in nature. There will be nausea with bouts of vomiting, constipation. This condition can not be left, some hernias can not be repaired, surgery is required.
Location of organs in the abdomen
- genitourinary organs
- gall bladder
- part of the colon
- the kidneys.
The difficulty in making a diagnosis in men is that they have the same pathology of the abdomen and urogenital organs. It is important to understand the disease, prescribe the right treatment, specialists are engaged in this, self-diagnosis is unacceptable.
Knowing the location of the internal organs will allow you to quickly understand the possible causes of the appearance of malaise. Diseases of the abdominal organs have their own distinctive features, knowing them, you need to dispose of the information correctly: do not make the diagnoses yourself, but understand what measures to take to avoid the appearance of pathologies.
She is also called the prostate. It is an organ of the endocrine system, located below the channel of urination. Diseases of the prostate gland - prostatitis, adenoma. The main task of this body is the development of a special fluid (secret) during ejaculation. Inflammation of the prostate causes pain in the lower abdomen in men.
Pathogenic microorganisms that enter the prostate through the blood from other organs develop the disease. Other adverse events affect the development of prostatitis.
Risk factors for prostatitis:
- constant subcooling
- weak immune defense
- lack of physical activity,
- alcohol abuse
- sexual dysfunctions
In the acute form of pathology, the pain is sharp, in chronic, aching, dull. Since the prostate gland is in close contact with the bladder and intestines, the pain gives in the middle of the suprapubic part, the external genitalia, and the anus. The inconvenience is felt constantly, intensifies after eating with a full intestine or bladder. The main symptoms are often associated with fever, diarrhea, painful urination.
Prostate adenoma is a benign neoplasm. It develops more often in men after 50 years. Signs are pains in the pubic part of the abdomen, which are given to the penis, sacrum. In the future, pain in the lower abdomen in men becomes girdling. Frequent urination occurs, and the stream of urine weakens, there is no pressure. A feeling of insufficient emptying of the bladder appears, then incontinence develops.
Reproductive system - possible pathologies
Such diseases include vesiculitis (inflammation of the seminal vesicles) and orchitis (inflammation of the testicles). Seminal vesicles are located near the prostate, they produce sperm. Inflammation occurs as a result of a genital infection or pathogens that enter from nearby internal organs.
A sign of vesiculitis is a sudden sharp pain in the lower abdomen with a return to the groin, sacrum. With an uneven course of inflammation, pain is more pronounced on the right or left. In 80% of cases, inflammation is fixed on both sides. It hurts more severely during ejaculation, before the acts of emptying the intestines and bladder.
Accompanying symptoms - high fever, frequent urination, defecation. Treatment is a drug therapy with antibiotics, taking enzymes, physiotherapy, taking vitamins during the rehabilitation period.With a purulent stage of the inflammatory process, the seminal vesicle is removed to avoid complications.
- regular prolonged subcooling, for example, work at low temperatures,
- genital diseases caused by infections,
- genital stasis,
- lack of physical activity.
Persons who have an erratic sex life, as well as those who abstain from sexual contact, are at risk of vesiculitis.
Orchitis is often a complication after suffering prostatitis, gonorrhea, vesiculitis, and other diseases of the genitourinary system. Pain is given to the lower back, inguinal region, sacrum. The testicles increase in size, redden, and harden. The temperature rises, the general condition worsens, and weakness is felt.
Often associated inflammation of the appendages. with orchitis, the lower abdomen in men begins to hurt, unpleasant sensations increase with a change in body position.
Other pathologies of internal organs
With pain in the lower abdomen in men, the causes can be different. In women, 70% of problems in the lower abdomen are associated with gynecological causes, in the male body, everything is much more complicated. To understand the reason, sometimes you have to undergo a full course of diagnostic examination.
- Cystitis is an inflammatory process that occurs in the bladder. Frequent urination will be additional symptoms, but the patient will have a persistent feeling that the bladder is not completely empty. It is necessary to be treated when the first signs appear, since the pathology quickly turns into a chronic form. Without proper treatment, it will aggravate with every hypothermia, stress, and decreased immunity.
- Pyelonephritis - inflammation is concentrated in the kidneys. It develops when an infection enters the kidneys through the blood. In old age, men can develop along with prostate adenoma, it is a complication after urolithiasis. Symptoms include fever, poor appetite, and sweating. With the disease, the pain is dull, pulling, with a return to the lower abdomen. Painful urination, excreted urine has a cloudy tint.
- Urolithiasis disease. A pathology in which there is the formation of specific stones in the organs of the genitourinary system. The appearance of insoluble salts leads to the formation of stones. Such a process is possible in violation of metabolic processes. Disposing factors will be heredity, lack of physical activity, chronic infectious diseases of the genitourinary system, adverse living conditions, unbalanced nutrition.
Signs of pathology will be soreness in the lumbar region, which gradually passes down the abdomen, is traced along the urinary tract. Pain increases with vigorous action, with the movement of stones, the use of fluid in large quantities.
With stones in the urinary system, sharp pain in the lower abdomen, streaks of blood in the urine can talk about the beginning of the movement of stones. Urgently need to call an ambulance. Stones are capable of cutting blood vessels and soft tissues with their sharp edges. This threatens life-threatening internal bleeding. Urgent hospitalization required.
- Bladder cancer Malignant neoplasms grow in the mucous layer of the organ. Causes are not exactly identified, predisposing are considered harmful working conditions, like that of miners, workers in the production of plastic, rubber. Also, adverse heredity belongs to the risk group, past diseases that prevent the outflow of accumulated urine - prostatitis, urolithiasis.
Signs at an early stage are invisible, then there is a violation of urination, in the future there is a pain syndrome with a return to the lower back.
Specialist and modern diagnostic methods can accurately answer why the lower abdomen hurts in men. This part contains vital organs.You can not take lightly unpleasant painful sensations in this part of the body, especially pain. Going to the doctor will solve many problems. With a competent approach to the treatment of pathology, they are treated quickly enough. The main thing is not to start them, not to allow them to acquire a protracted character with an exacerbation with each cold.
If the lower abdomen really hurts?
Regardless of who is suffering from pain, man or woman, there are common signs of emergency conditions and rules of conduct in such cases.
The lower abdomen is very sore, what needs to be done and what cannot be done in any case.
A condition that is characterized in clinical practice as an “acute abdomen” is a serious threat not only to health, but also to life, accompanied by such symptoms and signs:
- Acute, intolerant pain that lasts for an hour.
- Significant increase in pain symptom with the slightest exertion or cough, with inversion or any movement.
- Pain in the lower abdomen, which does not change its intensity when changing the posture or position of the patient.
- If defecation was absent during the day, the abdomen is tense and swollen, this may indicate acute intestinal obstruction.
- The stomach does not just hurt a lot, it is tense.
- Pain in the lower abdomen is accompanied by heart palpitations, sweating, pallor of the skin, decreased blood pressure up to fainting, loss of consciousness.
- If the pain is accompanied by bowel movements, in which blood clots are noted in the feces (feces black or uncharacteristic color).
In any case, it is almost impossible to independently diagnose and differentiate a serious, threatening disease from others that do not require emergency care. Therefore, with severe pain lasting for an hour, fever, weak pulse, nausea and vomiting, you need to call an ambulance.
Prior to the arrival of specialists, the following independent actions are permissible:
- The patient needs - complete peace, silence, ventilated room and horizontal position.
- You can put cold on the abdomen - a heating pad with ice, a chilled bottle of water, a cold compress. Cold can not be kept for more than 20-25 minutes, cold compresses should be changed to avoid warming the abdomen.
- Of the medications, let's take No-shpa, no more than two tablets. All other drugs can only be prescribed by a doctor after examination and preliminary diagnosis.
- If there are signs of internal bleeding - fainting, bluish complexion, increased heart rate, and there is a paramedic nearby, you can put an intravenous dropper with a solution of sodium chloride.
The lower abdomen is very sore, the following actions are unacceptable:
- You can not choose and take painkillers yourself. At a minimum, this “lubricates” the clinical picture and makes it difficult to make a correct diagnosis, and at the very least it provokes an even greater exacerbation of the underlying disease.
- You can not warm your stomach to avoid the development of extensive sepsis, only cold is permissible.
- You can not take medications from a number of laxatives, enemas are unacceptable.
- Do not eat or drink. With severe dry mouth, wetting of the tongue and lips is permissible.
These are recommendations that apply to both men and women, especially you need to be attentive to pain symptoms in children who still do not know how to correctly describe their feelings. At the slightest alarming signs of malaise in a child, you should immediately seek medical help.
Lower abdomen hurts during menstruation
Such pain is most often characteristic of young women, in whom the hormonal system has not yet stabilized. Menstruation itself is not a disease, it is a natural physiological condition that provides a woman's fertility.If all the organs and systems of a woman work perfectly, then the menstrual cycle should not cause discomfort. Some soreness can occur in the first two to three days of the cycle, and then go away. The lower abdomen hurts during menstruation, usually due to the dissonance between different types of sex hormones - prostaglandins and progesterone. The uterus produces substances that provide its contractile function - prostaglandins. If there are too many of them, the contractions become intense, and pain sensations increase accordingly. Also, an excess of prostaglandins can provoke headaches, nausea, up to vomiting. An increased level of contractile hormones is characteristic of young women who have not yet given birth. If the lower abdomen hurts during menstruation in women giving birth, this may be evidence of more serious pathologies - endometriosis, uterine fibroids, adnexitis, the inflammatory process in the ovaries, in the fallopian tubes and many other diseases. In addition, a poorly selected intrauterine device can also provoke pain during menstruation. Pain in the lower abdomen can be accompanied by other signs, among which the most common are:
- Pain radiating to the lumbar region.
- Heaviness and pain in the legs.
- Nausea, vomiting.
- Impaired bowel movements, diarrhea, or constipation.
- General weakness.
- Irritability, tearfulness, often increased aggressiveness.
Emergency medical care is necessary for pain during menstruation, if the following symptoms appear:
- The pain becomes intense with increased bleeding. The test is a sanitary pad that overflows in one hour.
- In addition to pain, a woman feels an increase in body temperature, fever, sweating.
- The pain is accompanied by severe aches in the joints.
- Pain in the lower abdomen is accompanied by dizziness and loss of consciousness.
After menstruation, lower abdomen hurts
This is characteristic of conditions caused by excessive levels of prostaglandins, which are responsible for the contractile function of the uterus. During the cycle, the uterus must contract to remove blood clots, after the end of the cycle, the contractions become less active. However, if a woman’s hormonal system works with disorders, there is an imbalance of hormones in her, pain after the menstrual cycle is possible. Often, women 30-35 years old have an increase in estrogen production, which leads to pain in the lower abdomen during a cycle, which can also change and go astray. As a compensatory response, the uterus begins to intensively produce prostaglandins, which continue to contract the organ even after menstruation. Postmenstrual pain in the lower abdomen is often caused by stress or a depressive state. As a result of a difficult course, the thyroid gland, which controls hormonal balance, is disrupted. It turns out a kind of vicious circle in which one pathological factor provokes another. In addition, after menstruation, the lower abdomen hurts often because of a congenital anomaly of the uterus - underdevelopment or its incorrect position. Any inflammatory process - adnexitis, salpingitis can cause prolonged postmenstrual pain. The intrauterine device, which irritates the walls and uterine cavity, can also prevent normal contraction of the uterus. In situations where the pain after the cycle does not stop within two to three days, you should not worry, this is most likely an ordinary physiological hormonal “jump”. If, after menstruation, the lower abdomen hurts for four or more days, especially if there is discharge and elevated body temperature, you need to see a doctor to rule out a serious inflammatory process in the pelvic organs.
After ovulation, the lower abdomen hurts
This is also a common occurrence in gynecological practice, women often complain of pain in the lower abdomen during follicular maturation and uterine contractions. Surprisingly, even women giving birth sometimes do not know what ovulation is and how the fertilization process is associated with it.
Ovulation is the period in which a mature follicle “releases” one single egg into the abdominal cavity, ready for fertilization. This process begins with the first menstrual cycle and gradually fades during the menopause. If a couple plans replenishment in the family, then ovulation days are the most favorable days for conceiving a baby. The period of ovulation in each woman is individual and depends on the length of the monthly cycle. The boundaries of the ovulation period vary from 22 to 33-35 days. Ovulation is often accompanied by painful symptoms, in addition, during this period, fertility (attraction) to the opposite sex increases significantly, which is evidence of the natural predisposition of these days to conception. Pain both during and after ovulation is most often of moderate intensity and is an acceptable physiological norm. Rarely does the pain become severe, cramping, but, as a rule, it does not last long. If the pain alternates from the left side to the right, this indicates the maturation of the follicle in the left and right ovary. Pain after ovulation is very rare, and if they occur, then this may indicate the following conditions:
- Exacerbation of chronic, latent inflammation in the ovaries.
- The fulfillment of conception.
- Pregnancy, which is possibly associated with some inflammatory processes in the ovaries.
- Pathological processes in the pelvic organs, not associated with the maturation of follicles and the release of the egg.
Sore lower abdomen and discharge
This is a sign of the inflammatory process, which goes into the stage of exacerbation. Often, pain in the lower abdomen, accompanied by secretions of a milky color, is a symptom of a common disease - thrush or candidiasis. In fact, it is also inflammation of the vagina, however, it is usually caused by Candida albicans - specific yeast-like organisms, fungi. The reasons why the lower abdomen hurts and the discharge becomes abundant, characteristic of its curdled consistency, are very diverse. Among the most common are the following:
- Pathology of the endocrine system - hyperthyroidism, hypothyroidism.
- Diabetes mellitus, in which the blood sugar level is increased, respectively, and in the vaginal discharge. The acidity of the secretion is reduced, which creates a favorable, comfortable environment for the propagation of Candida albicans.
- Metabolic disorders, obesity or anorexia.
- Long-term use of medicines - antibiotics, hormones.
- Physiological changes in the body - menopause.
- Long-term use of contraceptives.
- Diseases of venereal etiology.
- Infectious diseases of the pelvic organs - mycoplasmosis, chlamydia, ureaplasmosis.
- The consequence of surgery as a result of which the body goes through the process of adaptation.
- A change in the climatic zone, especially often provokes pain in the lower abdomen and the allocation of moving to hot countries.
- General decrease in the protective functions of the immune system.
Thrush is not a threatening health condition, but its chronic course can provoke an erosive process in the cervix, which is considered a rather serious pathology.
This is also a sign of the inflammatory process in the appendages. Inflammation of the appendages can be manifested by painful sensations on the left or on the right side, radiating to the thigh or sacral region of the lower back. Discharge in inflammation of the mucous membranes, often with pus.Body temperature may increase, a febrile state may occur, which indicates an exacerbation of the process.
Also, pain in the lower abdomen can be regular, but not pronounced, the discharge is scanty, however, these symptoms also cannot be ignored in order to prevent exacerbation and more serious problems that may require emergency surgical care.
Lower abdomen hurts after sex
This is evidence of pathological processes that can occur secretly in the body, but often such pains are provoked by psychogenic factors.
The lower abdomen hurts after sex - it is also a symptom of standard gynecological problems requiring diagnosis and treatment. Pain in the lower abdomen after intercourse may indicate ruptures of the ovarian cyst, ruptures of the ovary itself or the threat of miscarriage in the early stages of gestation. In addition, the cause of the pain can be purely mechanical, when sexual contact was too rough, intense and provoked injury to the vaginal wall, damaged the mucous membrane of the cervix. If the lower abdomen hurts after sex and discharge with blood, you need to urgently seek medical help, especially if the bleeding is intense.
Week hurts lower abdomen
This persistent abdominal pain is called chronic abdominal pain. Descriptions of sensations on the part of patients are very diverse - from a burning sensation to constant pressure and heaviness. Quite often, the reason that the lower abdomen hurts for a whole week is an elementary violation of the diet, the gastrointestinal tract is simply unable to work rhythmically in normal mode. However, often chronic, persistent pain in the lower abdomen can indicate a developing gallstone disease, pancreatitis, an inflammatory process in the large intestine. The pain can be really constant, but it can also be cramping. As a rule, if a person suffers pain in the lower abdomen for a week, the pain is rather weak and does not differ in intensity. It is important to note how pain is associated with food intake, whether it occurs before or after meals. Also, chronic pain in the lower abdomen may be a symptom of a psychosomatic illness, more associated with neurology than with gastroenterology. In clinical practice, such pains are called neurotic.
The stomach actually hurts, although objective external or internal causes do not exist. This is due to the psycho-emotional factor, which can be an unloved job, hard study and fear of exams, family troubles. Also, the cause of persistent pain can be a vegetative-vascular syndrome, which is also a neurological disease. One of the causes of chronic, recurring pain is helminthic invasion. Chronic pains are diagnosed using a comprehensive examination, the fuller it is, the more accurate and more effective the treatment will be. The standard diagnostic complex includes the following procedures:
- Collection of anamnestic information, including family information.
- Palpation of the abdominal region.
- Fibroesophagogastroduodenoscopy - FGDS.
- An extensive clinical study of blood, including leukocyte formula.
- A biochemical blood test that determines the level of enzymatic activity of the liver, pancreas.
- Ultrasound examination of the abdominal organs.
- Analysis for the determination of helminthic invasion, coprogram.
Etiology of the problem
When men and women have severely sore lower abdomen, various factors can become the causes. The female sex is required to know the phases of their menstrual cycle, the period of ovulation and the date of the onset of menstruation. After all, the girl’s body is very anxiously experiencing this process, the pain arises pulling, severe, caused precisely by muscle spasms.
Men, especially after 35 years, recall pain in the lower abdomen, when prostatitis occurs, which characterizes a violation in the functioning of the prostate gland. In any case, when the stomach hurts very badly, you should consult a doctor, the sooner such treatment occurs, the faster the relief will come.
Common causes if stomach ache in men and women can be:
- Problems with the urinary system, the appearance of stones in the kidneys, ureters, inflammation of the mucous membranes. It can hurt from different sides - right and left, accompanied by fever, constant urge to the toilet, the presence of blood in the urine.
- Appendicitis is an inflammation of the branch of the cecum. Appendicitis can occur in people of any age. It is characterized by severe pain of various kinds. Often there is pain over the navel, in the solar plexus, there is nausea, vomiting, fever, problems with stool. If appendicitis is not recognized in time, then a more serious disease can occur - peritonitis, in which the general condition of the body deteriorates sharply, the peritoneum becomes inflamed, the person feels severe bouts of pain below the navel.
- Gastrointestinal problems. Different types of gastritis, ulcers, irritable bowel syndrome or intestinal obstruction, constipation, diarrhea, bile reflux - all this can provoke a constant pain syndrome until the treatment is started. If it hurts in the lower abdomen and this is associated with the gastrointestinal tract, then the symptoms may include: the process of difficulty defecating, flatulence, false urge to the toilet. At these moments, a person may feel nausea, a lump in the throat, weakness of the lower abdomen.
- Benign and malignant tumors in the bladder. In the last stages, when metastases occur, discomfort can give to the stomach, groin and lower back.
- Diseases and processes can occur at any time and if they are acute, then you need to contact an emergency medical service.
If the lower abdomen is very sore
However, there are conditions that require immediate medical attention, these are all strong pain, lasting for an hour.
The lower abdomen is very sore - this is one of the most typical symptoms presented in gastroenterological and gynecological practice. The abdomen hurts most often intensively, since there are thousands of nerve endings and pain receptors in the gastrointestinal tract. The nature of the pain can be different: pulling, sharp, aching, cutting, and so on. The pain symptom in the abdominal zone is not specific, since many diseases are accompanied by painful sensations.
In women, the lower abdomen is very sore during the menstrual cycle, in men, pain in the lower abdomen can be a sign of urological pathology.
One of the main reasons why severe pain occurs in women in the absence of signs of pregnancy are as follows:
- An ectopic pregnancy in which the egg does not reach the uterine cavity and begins to be implanted in the fallopian tube. There may be no signs of pregnancy, but after three to four weeks the egg begins to grow and destroy the tissues of the fallopian tube. This process is accompanied by severe pain, nausea, dizziness until unconsciousness. This condition requires immediate surgical intervention.
- Apoplexy, rupture of the ovary. The gap can be triggered by trauma, intense physical exertion or sexual contact. Symptoms are very similar to signs of an ectopic, tubal pregnancy. Pain can radiate to the lumbar region, accompanied by vomiting, weakness, and loss of consciousness. The treatment is urgent, surgical.
- Torsion and violation of the outflow of blood through the veins in the leg of the ovarian cyst.The cyst begins to grow rapidly, puts pressure on nearby organs, often merging with them. The pain in the lower abdomen is aching, quite severe, but transient and recurring. Surgical treatment.
- Inflammation of the appendages, which happens quite often after an abortive abortion, after childbirth. The pain is diffuse, strong, intermittent. If you do not make a timely diagnosis, the spread of infection can lead to peritonitis. In the acute stage, adnexitis gives severe pain in the lower abdomen with irradiation in the groin. The temperature is elevated, the abdominal muscles are very tense. Treatment in the initial stage of development of adnexitis is medicamentous, conservative, in the acute stage, with the threat of peritonitis, surgical intervention is possible.
In addition, the lower abdomen is very sore with ureaplasmosis, pathological diseases of the urinary system. In men, acute pain in the lower abdomen is a typical sign of inflammation of the urethra, acute stage of prostatitis, infringement of the hernia.
All conditions associated with severe pain require immediate medical attention.
Causes of pain in men
Men can tolerate any pain much better, their body is stronger, if it does not apply to chronic diseases.
Factors may include:
- The inflammatory process in the testicles.
- Prostatitis. This disease worries and excites men mainly after 45 years. Prostatitis in medicine is called a violation of the prostate gland.
- Prostate adenoma bothers men and the symptoms are very similar to prostatitis. With adenoma, urination is difficult, there is a cutting pain. Sometimes urination may be completely absent.
- Other inflammatory processes in the bladder, such as seminal vesicle infections.
For pain, only an experienced doctor can clearly diagnose what disease caused them and prescribe the appropriate treatment.
The syndrome on the left indicates that the organs that are in this area are susceptible, and the pain on the right indicates that appendicitis or another inflammatory process may develop.
The clinical picture often affects not only the stomach, but also manifests itself in other processes, such as:
- Problems with bowel movements.
- Rapid urination or vice versa its difficulty.
- Genital itching.
Pregnant women who are about to become a mother feel severe pain - this is called labor pain.
First aid is provided to a person if he already knows about his disease and it has acquired an acute or paroxysmal character.
The following measures apply:
- Provide the patient with access to oxygen.
- Free from belts, laces, dressings, if possible, remove clothing.
- Apply an ice pack to your stomach.
- In no case do not overheat the abdominal cavity.
- To reduce spasm and pain, it is allowed to take no-shpu (the dosage is prescribed in the instructions).
- If bleeding occurs, immediately call an ambulance team. Prior to arrival, the emergency use of any medication other than no-shp is strictly prohibited, as this can cause problems for paramedics.
- Eating and eating is prohibited, enemas and laxatives are also not recommended.
The human body is a special individual complex consisting of organs, cells and tissues and, of course, it requires an individual approach. Treatment is prescribed only after the doctor has received the results of all tests. The main focus is on medications. At the moment, pharmacies have a huge amount of funds that are used for various diseases.
Basically, drugs are divided into the following groups:
- Antibiotics. Especially if there is an inflammatory or infectious process.
- Antibacterial drugs. Antispasmodics.They are used in courses of at least one and a half weeks.
- Effective drugs are non-steroidal anti-inflammatory. These include: ibuprofen. It relieves pain and inflammation well. Affects the source of pain. The price is quite budget, the effect of the reception lasts 6-8 hours.
- Aspirin. Lowers temperature, is an analgesic.
- Nise. Relieves fever, fever, spasm, where there is constant pain. It has a side effect, therefore it is not recommended for use in patients with renal failure.
- Ketoprofen. Reduces various types of pain, is used by women during painful periods. It calms the smooth muscles of the abdomen: No-shpa (Drotaverin is an inexpensive analogue). It has an analgesic effect on the abdominal muscles. Its effect lasts about 8 hours. It does not relieve the cause of pain, but can relieve it for a while.
- Papaverine. The spectrum of action is wide, similar to ketoprofen.
- Means for normalizing the digestive system: Festal. It contains the enzymatic composition of the gastrointestinal tract. Pancreatin. Acts on the pancreas.
- Duspatalin. Relieves pain, cramping in the digestive tract. Restores the mucous membrane.
The above types of drugs are the main ones in the treatment of abdominal pain.
Treatment with folk remedies
Traditional medicine is famous for recipes of decoctions and infusions. Peppermint, chamomile, St. John's wort, dill, dandelion root - these are the main decoctions that are recommended for use, ate a pain in the stomach. Teas are used 2-3 times a day for 100-200 ml. Pain in the abdomen is a serious problem and very often brings discomfort, but nothing is impossible and the timely help of a doctor will help to avoid complications.
Tests that may be needed to diagnose lower abdominal pain
Since the diagnosis of pain presents certain difficulties, it is advisable to conduct diagnostic tests:
- A general blood count with the calculation of the formed elements, an increase in the number of leukocytes with a neutrophilic shift to the left, and an increase in ESR can indicate an inflammatory process.
- Urinalysis with a microscopic examination, culture and a test for sensitivity to antibiotics (the presence of bacteria, white blood cells or red blood cells indicates involvement in the urinary tract).
- Pregnancy test by determining the content of the β-subunit of chorionic gonadotropin (with a positive result, pregnancy confirms doubling the hormone content within 2-3 days).
- Ultrasound of the pelvic organs to detect volume formations (ectopic or normal pregnancy, tumors of the uterus).
- Sowing cervical mucus with suspected inflammatory diseases with the obligatory determination of sensitivity to antibiotics.
- Culdocentesis to detect free fluid in the rectal uterine space.
- X-ray examination of the abdominal organs, including a panoramic image in a standing position, on the back and on the side, to detect: intestinal obstruction, free air in the abdominal cavity with internal bleeding or rupture of the cyst, calcification foci that occur with kidney stones, gall bladder, myomatous nodes, dermoid cysts.
- Laparoscopy with the aim of visualizing the pelvic organs and choosing the optimal tactics of patient management, the possibility of treatment without extensive surgical intervention (contraindications for laparoscopy are hypovolemic shock and intestinal obstruction).
Pregnancy Lower Abdominal Pain
Characteristic signs spontaneous abortion — cramping pain different intensity, localized in the suprapubic region, and bleeding from the genital tract. After an artificial abortion, pain can occur a second time due to incomplete removal of the fetal egg or the development of septic complications.Symptoms of septic abortion: pain, bleeding, fever, the development of sepsis.
Pain during ectopic (ectopic) pregnancy. In 95% of cases with an ectopic pregnancy, the fetal egg is localized in the fallopian tubes: in the interstitial, isthmic, ampullar parts or the funnel of the fallopian tube. Ectopic pregnancy can also be localized in the abdominal cavity, cervix, extra uterine horn or ovaries. Each localization is characterized by its own complications. Women at risk of developing an ectopic pregnancy are women with a history of ectopic pregnancy, pelvic inflammatory diseases, and intrauterine contraceptives. As a rule, pain in the lower abdomen occurs on one side, but it can be bilateral or generalized. The pain in the lower abdomen gradually increases, may intensify with movement or bowel movement, have a cramping character, with a rupture of the tube with intraperitoneal bleeding, the pain is sudden and acute.
Ovulatory pain arise in lower abdomen in the periovulatory period as a result of irritation of the peritoneum with follicular fluid, they last from 12 to 36 hours in separate attacks for several hours.
Pain in the lower abdomen with acute ovarian pathology. Bleeding, rupture and torsion of the ovary can be due to benign and malignant cysts or solid formations, pain in the lower abdomen occurs due to irritation of the peritoneum with blood or can be caused by ischemia.
Pain in the lower abdomen with bleeding appears as a result of irritation of the peritoneum with blood or a strong stretching of the capsule of the ovary.
When the cyst ruptures cystic fluid that irritates the peritoneum and causes pain is released.
Torsion leads to ischemia and tissue necrosis, clinical manifestations depend on the degree of impaired blood supply to the formation (ovary), the stronger the vessels are pinched, the more extensive ischemia and more pain. The pain is often one-sided and paroxysmal, but can be permanent. During pregnancy, torsion often occurs during the period of rapid growth of the uterus (8-16 weeks) or in the postpartum period with involution of the uterus. Concomitant symptoms may include nausea, vomiting, fainting, shock, and shoulder pain.
Pain in the lower abdomen with ovarian hyperstimulation syndrome. Ovarian hyperstimulation syndrome can develop in women with infertility when treated with hormones (clomiphene, gonadotropins). The ovaries are enlarged, with multiple follicular cysts, a large cystic corpus luteum, and stromal edema. With a mild form, there are pains in the lower abdomen, bloating, weight gain. In severe cases, shortness of breath, ascites, pleural effusion, electrolyte imbalance, hypovolemia, oliguria (lack of urination) appear.
Lower abdominal paincaused by inflammatory diseases of the pelvic organs - cervicitis (inflammation of the cervix), endometritis (inflammation of the endometrium), salpingoophoritis (inflammation of the ovaries and fallopian tubes). These are the most common diseases, accompanied by pain "in a feminine way." They can be caused by pathogenic microorganisms Neisseria gonorrhoeae, Chlamydia trachomatis, Mycoplasma hominis and many others, so you should immediately see a doctor.
Pain in the lower abdomen with appendicitis. At first, the pain is not clearly localized; it arises as a result of the stretching of the appendix by inflammatory exudate, colic-like, gradually intensifying. If the parietal peritoneum is involved in the inflammatory process, symptoms of peritoneal irritation appear, pains are localized in the right iliac region. During pregnancy, the appendix is usually displaced upward by the enlarged uterus, and the pain during pregnancy is localized at the new location (according to the gestational age).Concomitant symptoms are nausea, anorexia, vomiting. If you do not go for medical help in this case, there will be a threat to the patient's life.
Chronic lower abdominal pain
Cyclic pain in the lower abdomen
Algodismenorea is a pain in the lower abdomen that accompanies menstruation.
Primary dysmenorrhea - painful menstruation without organic changes in the pelvic organs. Primary dysmenorrhea occurs only in ovulatory menstrual cycles: the pain is cramping or throbbing, localized in the lower abdomen, often radiating to the lower back and front surface of the thighs. Painful sensations begin with the first manifestations of menstruation and last no more than 48 hours, accompanied by back pain, nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, headache and increased fatigue. In the development of algodismenorea, psychological and somatic factors take part. It is believed that under the influence of estradiol in the proliferative phase in the endometrium, accumulation occurs, and with subsequent exposure to progesterone, phospholipase A2 is released from endometrial cells, which affects the cell membrane lipids - prostaglandins. These prostaglandins cause uterine contractions and local areas of ischemia (inadequate blood supply), which causes pain.
Treatment of pain in the lower abdomen during menstruation includes psychotherapy, the use of non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (diclofenac sodium). Monophasic combined oral contraceptives are also prescribed to suppress ovulation.
Secondary dysmenorrhea - painful menstruation against a background of organic changes that appear more than 2 years after the menarche.
Acyclic pain in the lower abdomen
These are prolonged non-stopping pains that are not associated with menstruation.
Organic causes of such pains in the lower abdomen: endometriosis, adhesions, residual ovary syndrome, stagnation in the pelvis, often occurs with widespread varicose veins of the pelvis, urinary tract disease (cystitis and urolithiasis), diseases of the gastrointestinal tract (diverticulitis and colitis ), diseases of the bones and ligaments, congenital deformities or inflammation (scoliosis, osteoarthritis, fibromyositis, herniation of the intervertebral disc).
Endometriosis develops as a result of proliferation of the normal endometrium outside the uterine cavity, can cause local injuries, deformation, obstruction, adhesions and scarring, is characterized by periodic pain before and during menstruation, the pain syndrome depends on the location of endometrioid heterotopia.
Adhesive disease occurs a second time in chronic inflammatory diseases of the genital organs or forms after surgery. Cervical stenosis is formed, as a rule, after surgery and requires surgical treatment.
Uterine fibroids are benign tumors consisting of muscle and connective tissue, accompanied by pain and uterine bleeding.
Congenital malformations of the genitals are a common cause of false amenorrhea, and there is an accumulation of menstrual blood in the uterus (hematometer) due to obstruction of the cervical canal or in the vagina (hematokolpos) due to infection of the hymen.
Residual ovary syndrome occurs with incomplete removal of the ovarian tissue after bilateral oophorectomy, the symptoms are due to obstruction of the ureter due to compression by the ovarian tissue.
Inorganic causes of lower abdominal pain: many people have trigger sensitive points, the irritation of which causes pain symptoms, probable causes: chronic systemic diseases, immune dysfunction, infection, the consequences of an abortion.
Psychogenic factors of lower abdominal pain: with the exclusion of organic causes of pain, a woman needs to be examined by a psychotherapist (borderline conditions: hypochondria, depression, hysteria).
The main causes of lower abdominal pain in men
In men, the leading causes of pain in the lower abdomen are disorders of the intestines and surgical pathology (appendicitis, bowel obstruction), less often cystitis and other diseases of the genitourinary system, including cancer, therefore, when it occurs, you must consult a doctor as soon as possible .
Until the cause of the pain, especially acute, is clarified, you should not take pain medication, this will make the diagnosis difficult. Take an antispasmodic (no-spa) and consult a doctor. One of the NSAIDs (ibuprofen, ketoprofen, naproxen, aspirin) is used to temporarily relieve pain after diagnosis. Next, you need treatment for a provocative disease, which turned out to be the cause of your torment.
How to treat and is it possible to cure chronic pelvic pain?
The treatment of chronic pelvic pain is a difficult, but in the vast majority of cases, a solvable task. The key to successful treatment is a competent and complete diagnosis. If the diagnosis is correct, treatment is likely to be effective.
In those patients for whom pathology of the internal genital organs or adhesions is detected during laparoscopy, treatment begins immediately, under the same anesthesia, and it is often sufficient to eliminate pain, and sometimes associated problems with conception (infertility).
Sometimes, when proving the absence of a physical cause of pain in the lower abdomen, nerve fibers are crossed that carry pathological pain impulses to the central nervous system from unchanged genital organs.
In case of confirmation of the presence of endometriosis, drugs from the group of gonadotropin-releasing hormone agonists (Zoladex, Diferelin, Buserelin, etc.) are often prescribed, which temporarily suppress the menstrual cycle, interrupting the "vicious circle" created by constant hormonal stimulation of the endometrioid foci from the ovaries. These drugs inhibit the growth and activity of endometriotic foci, leading to relief, including from pain in the lower abdomen.
In some cases, cyclic pain associated with premenstrual syndrome, menstruation, or ovulation is well treated by prescribing combined hormonal contraceptives or progesterone medications. With dysmenorrhea, nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (painkillers) and antispasmodics (drugs that relax the muscles of the internal organs) also help well as a concomitant treatment.
In some cases, physiotherapeutic treatment gives a good effect, especially when the causes of pain in the lower abdomen are not completely understood, or they are associated with nerve damage, the consequences of birth injuries, and a violation of the tone of the pelvic floor muscles. Often, drugs from the group of antidepressants are used, including because of their ability to restore the ability of the central nervous system (brain) to adequately assess pain nerve impulses coming from the small pelvis.
Folk remedies and folk recipes for pain in the lower abdomen
Treatment with folk remedies for pain in the lower abdomen without first consulting a doctor is dangerous, symptomatic treatment of pain with folk remedies can aggravate the disease that caused the pain. For example, infectious inflammatory diseases of the genital organs will go into the chronic stage, the treatment of which becomes more complicated and often impossible and leads to infertility.
The use of sage for pain in the lower abdomen with endometriosis (and not every woman with endometriosis is aware that she is ill) will cause a rapid progression of the disease and increased pain and surgical treatment will be necessary.Such herbs as a pine uterus, red brush, wintergreen, clover, calendula, widely used for pain in the lower abdomen in women also have their contraindications and complications.
Heat on the stomach (heating pads) is also not recommended, heat can enhance the existing acute inflammatory process.
Before prescribing any folk recipes, you need to know your exact diagnosis and take into account contraindications for folk remedies.
Sore lower back and lower abdomen
This is a description of the so-called pelvic pain. Pelvic pain is considered to be all painful sensations in the lower abdominal part, accompanied by pain in the sacrum, lumbar region. Often, such pain in men is given (irradiated) to the rectum or vagina - in women. The lower back and lower abdomen hurts - this is a nonspecific symptom that can indicate various diseases, both gynecological, proctological and vascular or urological. The nature of the pain is also different, they can be acute or chronic, prolonged.
Acute lower back pain is a sudden sensation of pain that lasts two to three hours, combined with fever, nausea, weakness, and fever. So quite often acute conditions that require immediate surgical help manifest themselves - inflammation of the appendix, acute intestinal obstruction, an attack of cholecystitis, rupture of an ovarian cyst, purulent inflammation of the urethra, pyelonephritis and other diseases.
Chronic, prolonged pelvic pain is a recurring discomfort that sometimes lasts for months. Such pains indicate a developing latent pathology, which has not yet manifested itself.
Lower left abdominal pain
The lower abdomen can be conditionally divided into quadrants - the right side, umbilical, left side, right and left inguinal zone and pubic part. The localization of pain in a particular area is one of the important diagnostic symptoms that help to identify the cause of pain.
The lower abdomen hurts on the left - this is a signal of possible problems in the organs located in this abdominal part: in the left part of the intestine, in the left kidney, in the internal reproductive organs. Also, pain in the left abdomen can be non-specific and identical in the diagnostic sense with pain in the right abdominal region, with the exception of inflammation of the appendix. If the lower abdomen hurts on the left, this may mean that the sigmoid colon has become inflamed, or urolithiasis, adnexitis, or diverticulitis are developing. Due to the non-specificity of the left-sided pain symptom, the diagnosis includes a complete examination of the abdominal organs, regardless of their location - on the right or left. A comprehensive study allows timely detection of diverticulitis, which is also called left-sided appendicitis. If this disease is not diagnosed on time, especially in elderly patients, it can lead to perforation of the lower part of the colon (sigmoid), which is an indication for urgent surgery. Also, tubal pregnancy can manifest itself in pain in the left quadrant of the abdomen, in addition, an infringement of an inguinal hernia also signals about itself. One of the causes of left-sided pain can be ulcerative colitis, granulomatous enteritis (Crohn's disease or terminal ileitis), helminthic invasion. Often, a kidney calculus that is localized in the left kidney, passing the path to the bladder, also causes severe pain in the left side of the peritoneum.
Right lower abdomen hurts
Explicit localization of pain, in a sense, is a plus for diagnosing the disease, while diffuse (common) pain in the lower abdomen makes diagnosis difficult due to its nonspecific nature. The first thing that comes to mind with right-sided abdominal pain is inflammation of the appendix.Indeed, the right-sided localization of painful sensations is a specific manifestation of appendicitis, but the lower abdomen is also painful for other diseases. For example, an inflamed ureter or an attack of cholecystitis, inflammation of the liver, or the acute stage of pyelonephritis can also “respond” to right-sided pain. Crohn's disease, a complex inflammatory disease of unknown etiology, can also signal its development. Terminal ileitis, also called Crohn’s disease, is a pathological lesion of the walls of the entire digestive tract, starting with the iliac region, where the first symptoms appear. However, when ileitis develops, symptoms may move down the peritoneum. In addition, cystitis or urolithiasis, right-sided ulcerative colitis, herpetic lesions of the intestinal walls can signal and manifest pains localized in the lower right abdomen.
Since the abdomen is the receptacle of many organs and systems, right-sided pain can indicate an inflammatory process, pathology or chronic course of the disease of the following organs located in this part of the peritoneum:
- The worm-shaped section of the cecum or appendix, inflammation of which is most often manifested by pain in the right side of the abdomen - the upper or lower quadrant.
- Most of the intestinal tract, areas of which are often exposed to inflammation, including infectious nature, obstruction, is also possible oncological process in the intestine.
- In the lower right quadrant is the right ureter, which can become inflamed and manifest as right-sided pain.
- The right fallopian tube, which by its anatomical structure is slightly longer than the left. Inflammation can develop in the tube - salpingitis, endometrial polyp.
Sick lower abdomen and temperature
This is a signal that the pathological process in the peritoneal organs is already moving into the acute stage. Hyperthermia is a characteristic sign of an acute inflammatory disease, but this symptom often manifests itself already at the stage when urgent medical attention is needed. Even with gangrenous appendicitis, the patient may have a relatively low body temperature, and with perforation, it can generally decrease. Also, hyperthermia alone cannot be a specific symptom of a viral or bacterial infection. Many severe ulcerative processes are not always accompanied by significant jumps in temperature, for example, a perforated ulcer is often manifested only by pain symptoms during the first hours.
Appendicitis, an inflammatory process in the gallbladder (cholecystitis), diverticulitis, dysentery, adnexitis and pyelonephritis, many other diseases can be accompanied by painful sensations and slight hyperthermia. This applies to urological pathologies, gynecological and proctological diseases, and even to sexually transmitted diseases, since, for example, gonorrhea is also sometimes manifested by abdominal pain and hyperthermia. The combination of “low abdominal pain and temperature” in clinical practice is considered a serious signal of the acute period of the disease, and a high temperature that exceeds 38-39C is clear evidence of septic lesions of the body, which can be caused by ovarian cyst apoplexy, rupture of the abdominal aorta, spleen infarction , peritonitis, rupture of the fallopian tube, infectious diseases of the kidneys or gall bladder. Both too high border temperature indicators and low temperature - hypothermia - these are bad signs in a prognostic sense. All conditions in the symptoms of which there is pain in the lower abdomen and fever require medical attention, and if the thermometer shows 34-35 or 38-40C, you need to call an ambulance, as these are clear signs of sepsis and internal bleeding.
Chronic lower abdominal pain
Chronic pain in the lower abdomen is an ongoing pain, which remains the main complaint that violates the ability to work for six months or more. The correlation between the severity of pain manifestations and the severity of abdominal pathology is usually insignificant. Chronic abdominal visa pain is often accompanied by mental disorders such as depression and sleep disturbance. Chronic pain in the lower abdomen, not associated with diseases, most often occurs in women who have been sexually abused. There is also statistical evidence that a third of women subjected to laparoscopy for chronic pain, failed to find out the cause of the disease, which indicates the psychogenic cause of acute pain. 10-20% of hysterectomies in the USA are performed annually for chronic pain in the lower abdomen, provoked by purely psychological factors. A hysterectomy is highly effective in reducing the severity of pain associated with subconscious protest against sexual contact. This reduces sexual dysfunctions, reduces the level of psychogeny and improves the quality of life of a woman, even if pathology from the uterus is not detected. There is no data on a hysterectomy for psychogenic pain in our countries, it is obvious that so far such operations are not in demand and necessary for our women. Pain can also be a consequence of a latent inflammatory process, infectious diseases such as chlamydia or mycoplasmosis. Any discomfort associated with sexual relations should be eliminated, perhaps not in the radical way that is practiced in the United States. Modern gynecology has more effective means to help identify the true cause of pain after sex and effectively eliminate it.